Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I Dispose of goods left permanently in land I own

• 27-10-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

Just looking if anyone can give me some advice on the following.

My grandmother passed away a number of years ago and left her house to my mother. An old family friend of my grandmother then contacted my mother to say she was in the process of moving house and could she store a lot of her belongings in my grandmother's old house.
    My mother agreed as we tought this would be short term..

4 years have now passed and we cannot get in contact with this lady and she has changed her phone number and address.
    To further complicate things we have since received planning permission to knock the old house and replace it with a new build.

Basically I am wondering from a legal point of view were I would stand if I were to throw all the belongings in a skip as we want to move ahead with the demolition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Ciaran10 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking if anyone can give me some advice on the following.

My grandmother passed away a number of years ago and left her house to my mother. An old family friend of my grandmother then contacted my mother to say she was in the process of moving house and could she store a lot of her belongings in my grandmother's old house.
    My mother agreed as we tought this would be short term..

4 years have now passed and we cannot get in contact with this lady and she has changed her phone number and address.
    To further complicate things we have since received planning permission to knock the old house and replace it with a new build.

Basically I am wondering from a legal point of view were I would stand if I were to throw all the belongings in a skip as we want to move ahead with the demolition.

If you know the person's name, try get it out on social media that you're trying to contact her. Someone will find her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭beachhead

You would be obliged to make every effort to return the property to the rightful owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

I wonder would the local Garda Station help? If you were to hand to stuff to them as property found they might have to take it but alternatively they might help you locate the owner or at least pass your details to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ciaran10

Thanks for the replies folks.. Social media is a no go, this women is in her 70s and isnt on social media.
    Her daughter who lives with her has a Facebook account though but has refused to reply to any messages sent.

She has a family member that lives locally but they dont know her whereabouts either as she has fallen out with them years ago also..

After 4 years At this stage it's looking like I'm left with 2 options:
    1. Get a skip and get rid of it.
    2. Leave it all in a corner of the garden with a plastic sheet over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

beachhead wrote: »
    You would be obliged to make every effort to return the property to the rightful owner.

Not true at all.

Suffucient reasonable effort has been made already.

OP...I'd bin it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Search for her name in to RIP.ie and place the date from the last time you knew she was alive until today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ciaran10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks.. Social media is a no go, this women is in her 70s and isnt on social media.
    Her daughter who lives with her has a Facebook account though but has refused to reply to any messages sent.

She has a family member that lives locally but they dont know her whereabouts either as she has fallen out with them years ago also..

After 4 years At this stage it's looking like I'm left with 2 options:
    1. Get a skip and get rid of it.
    2. Leave it all in a corner of the garden with a plastic sheet over it.

Just leave one final message with the daughter, tell her to make contact within 30 days or whatever is suitable.No reply you will be just dumping all the stuff when the house is getting demolished.
    Can be taken away with the rubble when the work is being done,I wouldn't be getting a skip especially for it.

Is there anything in it that could be given to a charity shop ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

you have to auction it off and keep procedes for her

if you know a friendly Garda he can look her up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    you have to auction it off and keep procedes for her

if you know a friendly Garda he can look her up

What on earth are you talking about?

Unbelievable....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Could you put it in a storage unit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Could you put it in a storage unit?

Why, then the op is paying for storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I am not saying she should, but it would buy a bit more time to deal with things.

Advertisement