Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accounting Graduate Programme

Options
  • 18-10-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I'm a final year accounting student on track for a 1.1 looking for a graduate programme/job but am not sure if I should choose big 4 or industry? Any particular reason I should choose one or even firms I should look at (salary, overtime, work/life balance, exams etc)

Any past experience from these firms or guidance on how you became qualified would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Big 4 is a great way to go because of the supports in place for your study leave and resources, they also pay for everything. Have you looked at deadlines for applications? Something to keep an eye on. They receive thousands of applications a year. I went with EY, so could only advise on them I have no experience with any other.

I believe small practice is perfectly fine too the study leave etc is just not as good but you should get a well rounded education in all things accountancy. Have you thought about whether you would be interested in audit/assurance or tax or something else?

Oh an which professional qualificationd would you be thinking about sitting?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I would go for the Big 4. Normally the milk rounds are around now but I'm not sure what's happening in the current climate. The study leave and support they have makes life a lot easier. Nothing wrong with a small firm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LaQuica

I think you may have missed the deadline for applying for the B4 2021 graduate programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 responder XX

Big 4 all the way. Whilst best candidates will do well anywhere, Big 4 training is highly valued in industry for more senior roles in Finance. Having trained in Big 4 myself and now working in industry - I can see a big difference between the average person who trained in Big 4 and someone who trained in industry. 

Although as pointed out it is possibly too late. Do keep an eye on the Big 4 websites as they regularly re-open recruiting in late summer as there is always a drop off from those who accept milkround offers to those who actually start the following October.

Advertisement