Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top of the range travel system vs 400/500 system

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

If I remember correctly it cost me around €50 to convert my uppababy to the double. That was the cost of the sets of adapters as you use the bassinet and seat that come with the buggy.

With the age gap between mine I moved on to a buggy board for the bigger one when the baby grew out of the bassinet. If I had wanted the extra seat (the rumble seat) that was about €200 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

I don't really get why people expect to spend such huge amounts just to get something that lasts. As someone else pointed out, it's not like you have to choose between a 1800€ Bugaboo travel system and a 150€ umbrella buggy. There are plenty of sturdy sets available in between. We got an Uberchild (now Infababy) travel system for not very much - maybe around 350, including the car seat, three years ago - and it was incredibly sturdy (we did a lot of off-road with it while dog-walking) and lasted perfectly with no problems. Our child is an only but if there was ever a younger sibling it would be perfectly usable a second time - there's almost no wear and tear on it. It's got all the bells and whistles (forward/rear facing, carrycot is big enough for baby to sleep in, easy to fold and set up and not too heavy) but for a much lower price than Bugaboo/Uppababy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm back from the shop. I pushed a few around, folded them, lifted them. I looked at the uppababy, icandy, bugabee, joie and nuna. They're all easy to push around, wheels looked fine on all of them, they all fold easily, fold to similar sizes, weigh roughly the same. I think the icandy was slightly heavier than the others.

So really I think our decision just comes down to do we want one that can convert to a double, in which case we're looking at uppababy / nuna or not in which case we'd probably go joie because it was a few hundred cheaper. And as far as I can see the very same other than that. I was trying to probe the girl in the shop to understand the difference better, and the more expensive have better ventilation and mattress, but really she seemed to struggle after that. The more Iook at it, I think people want to pay more for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭rob316

kyomi wrote: »
    I don't really get why people expect to spend such huge amounts just to get something that lasts. As someone else pointed out, it's not like you have to choose between a 1800€ Bugaboo travel system and a 150€ umbrella buggy. There are plenty of sturdy sets available in between. We got an Uberchild (now Infababy) travel system for not very much - maybe around 350, including the car seat, three years ago - and it was incredibly sturdy (we did a lot of off-road with it while dog-walking) and lasted perfectly with no problems. Our child is an only but if there was ever a younger sibling it would be perfectly usable a second time - there's almost no wear and tear on it. It's got all the bells and whistles (forward/rear facing, carrycot is big enough for baby to sleep in, easy to fold and set up and not too heavy) but for a much lower price than Bugaboo/Uppababy.

Just got delivery of our Infababy Ultimo today, looks a fine kit. €500 including isofix base. Its for pushing a baby around for 6 months, I wouldn't spend anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

rob316 wrote: »
    Just got delivery of our Infababy Ultimo today, looks a fine kit. €500 including isofix base. Its for pushing a baby around for 6 months, I wouldn't spend anymore.

Second this. We got the infababy ultimo 3 in 1. So happy with it. All terrain (three wheels) and includes pram, buggy for six months plus, car seat and isofix base. It's very sturdy and nice high bars too (we are both tall!). We checked out lots of brands in store and tbh we feel this is superior to many of the bundles for 1000euro and upwards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Tbh, it could just be as simple as Uppababy is American and aimed at a certain American market, the others are closer to home.I seriously doubt it has much to do with safety specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Don't know if this is a plus or a minus but our uppababy brake is gone again! Last time it happened the shop took it back, sent it away under warranty and we got a brand new chassis.
    The shop have taken it back again for repair/replacement and it's almost 5 years since we bought it.
    Also gets a free yearly service and will replace wheels etc for free. Not sure how long this warranty lasts but i think its pretty amazing!
    Def ask about warranty and aftersales service.
    Brake also went on my brothers so could be a design fault. That was repaired too free of charge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Odd, we have had 2 models of it (still have the older one) and never had that issue.They have replaced the adaptors for the toddler seat for us alright, when one rolled out of the boot and got lost one day when we were loading up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

kyomi wrote: »
    It depends on what you want.
    I hate the doubles with a child sitting on top of another child. So that was a load of them off the list immediately. And there are very, very few (actually can't think of any besides the Donkey) that convert from a double to a single and back. So it isn't that you want the top of the range one, but maybe that's the only one that ticks all the boxes. We bought a cheap Mothercare one with our first. It didn't give us 10% of the value for money the Bugaboo has.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For me one, based on experience, one of the most important aspects is storage underneath and access to it.

We have a bugaboo and tbh its pretty crap in this respect.
    It has a very small swinging basket that is hard to get to when there is a seat in it, its ok with a bassinet.

the other thing for me is ease of folding, I find the bugaboo a pain in the ass.

It just seems to collapse into a finger chopping mess when you hit the buttons and you have to manually close the front wheels. If the buggy is dirty when you are doing this then you end up dirty.

In fairness I have an older model (Camelon 3) so maybe this has been addressed but the ones I see out and about look the same.
    I wouldnt buy again and am glad I bought this second hand for < 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

GreeBo wrote: »
    For me one, based on experience, one of the most important aspects is storage underneath and access to it.

This is one of the reasons I love my uppababy. We live in a town and are a one car family which my husband would often need for work.

I could walk to the supermarket, do the weekly shop using the basket and walk home. It was a heavy push on the way home but thankfully is downhill.

Even now if we’re heading out I can just throw random things we might need in so we have them just in case and it’s no bother cos they just fit.

While it’s not a complete necessity, it has made life easier in the 4.5 years we’ve been using it.

Advertisement