Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cambridge History of Ireland 4 Volumes 71% off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kevincaomhin

The code IE10 gives another 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Wow thank you OP. And the other poster with the further 10% discount. I got the whole lot with free postage for €104! Bargain!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmm. Seriously thinking of getting this for the old man for Christmas...

Thanks for the dilemma, OP. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Dutchy

Thanks OP and 10 percent discount post.

Just bought and have always wanted to learn more about this island of ours.

With 2,800 pages I have tasked myself with the 2020 New Year's resolution of reading c.8 pages every day throughout the year.

Nice idea, anyways

Edit - bought just in time. Price now €300 +

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

ecdl_2000 wrote: »
    Cambridge History of Ireland all 4 volumes in Hardback edition. Really comprehensive set, reduced from €408 to €116 on Book Depository.

Might be worth sending that link on to Boris Johnson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Still available on Amazon UK for £99.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Estimated delivery: 29 Oct. 2019 - 4 Nov. 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

rom wrote: »
    Estimated delivery: 29 Oct. 2019 - 4 Nov. 2019

Just around Brexit time. That's could create some problems for any delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

machalla wrote: »
    Just around Brexit time. That's could create some problems for any delivery

I bought them full price when they came out, you win some, you lose some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What there a postage charge?

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    What there a postage charge?

With Amazon? - Not if you choose the free delivery option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Back down to €116,04 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

It's undoubtedly a great bargain if you are already in the market for the set or similar chronicle of Irish history. But even at the knockdown price, I would - at the risk of being a wet blanket here - caution against an impulse purchase.....

Weighty tomes such as this are often bought with the best of intentions of reading cover to cover but in many cases, they are soon after abandoned or postponed indefinitely as life, or other distractions, get in the way.

Of course, if you are a history enthusiast with an appetite and time to invest, these are very cheap now.
    But I suspect that most people of that persuasion will have already bought them at full price last year.

For the rest of us the they may well end up gathering dust - or, at best, adorn our book cases (in largely mint condition) forever. In that case, even at the bargain price, they are very, very expensive.

There are other options if you don't want to drop €116 for a set of books you may never read:

- They are already available as single volumes on Kindle for ~£20 each
    - If you can wait until March next year, the paper back editions will be available for ~€35 each

Buying the single volumes might be a wiser approach unless you are sure you will get the value for the full set.. I suspect that Volume IV will be of most interest to many people.

Still, if you can't pass up a bargain (and it is a great price) and you must own all four hardback volumes immediately, you may in the future wish to avail of Myles na gCopaleen's book handling service. :)

It's undoubtedly a great bargain if you are already in the market for the set or similar chronicle of Irish history. But even at the knockdown price, I would - at the risk of being a wet blanket here - caution against an impulse purchase.....

Weighty tomes such as this are often bought with the best of intentions of reading cover to cover but in many cases, they are soon after abandoned or postponed indefinitely as life, or other distractions, get in the way.

Of course, if you are a history enthusiast with an appetite and time to invest, these are very cheap now.
    But I suspect that most people of that persuasion will have already bought them at full price last year.

For the rest of us the they may well end up gathering dust - or, at best, adorn our book cases (in largely mint condition) forever. In that case, even at the bargain price, they are very, very expensive.

There are other options if you don't want to drop €116 for a set of books you may never read:

- They are already available as single volumes on Kindle for ~£20 each
    - If you can wait until March next year, the paper back editions will be available for ~€35 each

Buying the single volumes might be a wiser approach unless you are sure you will get the value for the full set.. I suspect that Volume IV will be of most interest to many people.

Still, if you can't pass up a bargain (and it is a great price) and you must own all four hardback volumes immediately, you may in the future wish to avail of Myles na gCopaleen's book handling service. :)

That is quite a long build up to your display of Mylesian erudition. A polished four-volume post! “Superbe”. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

1641 wrote: »
    That is quite a long build up.....

Clearly the four volume set is not for you.

Never mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

I ordered this yesterday for a Christmas present. I know it will be read or rather “dipped into” at various times. Delighted so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Thanks for the great deal, ordered for Christmas also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Had my order cancelled this am

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Had my order cancelled also. Price back to 321eur now... Assume they are saying it was misspriced hence allowed cancel the order per their T&C's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

order cancelled and refunded .. doh .. might buy on amazon now

• Advertisement

I got a dispatch email yesterday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

My Order cancelled today too. Available anywhere else at reasonable price?

Eph1958 wrote: »
    My Order cancelled today too. Available anywhere else at reasonable price?

I ordered from Amazon UK at £99.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Concerned Irishman

I got a mail yesterday indication that my order is on the way so hopefully all is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Mine has been dispatched.

Many thanks to the first two posters for the heads up.

I got a despatch notice to say mine is on the way. They must have cottoned on to the misprice after mine was sent?.. I hope

Books received - thanks OP. Not sure if I would pay full price but certainly a bargain at the price paid.

Books arrived today and I'm delighted with them. Serious bargain and phenomenal books. Thanks OP.

Advertisement