Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D's sociology

Options
  • 29-10-2011 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Just hearing MDH's wife Sabina citing Kant, considering many of his own speechs and writings draw on sociology and political science, what do people make of his current intellectual background.
    Having read some of his work he seems to have been heavily influenced by Raymond Williams and recently I think he's been drawing on Richard Florida's creative class.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Where did you hear the wife talking?

I had a chat with him year ago where we discussed Weber and Durkheim quite a bit. Maybe he's influenced by some of that. I haven't heard of Richard Florida, but I somehow doubt he'd have influenced Michael D. Could be wrong.

One thing I understand his wife Sabina did was introduce the method school of acting to Ireland through the Druid Theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

sarkozy wrote: »
    Where did you hear the wife talking?

I had a chat with him year ago where we discussed Weber and Durkheim quite a bit. Maybe he's influenced by some of that. I haven't heard of Richard Florida, but I somehow doubt he'd have influenced Michael D. Could be wrong.

One thing I understand his wife Sabina did was introduce the method school of acting to Ireland through the Druid Theatre.

Nearly a week ago but I think it was when Miriam O'Callaghan was interviewing them, just after MDH's speech.

re:Florida, he's not actually a sociologist but has gained a following (and detractors) from those sociologists who dabble in urban studies. In other words he gets cited a fair bit by sociologists.

MDH's discussion of the creative society reads like he has read Florida (and has a different understanding of creativity, not radically different but enough that it can be distinquished from it) http://www.michaeldhiggins.ie/vision/thecreativesociety.html

There's also this (its possible that his speaking alongside Stolarik put the idea in my head that MDH has been influenced by Florida's work):
    [QUOTE=rte;http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podcasts/archive.php?iid=43262]
    Creativity And The Economy. Michael D. Higgins, T.D., and Kevin Stolarik, Director of Research at Richard Florida's Martin Prosperity Institute in Toronto.
    Listen | Listen in your iPhone | Download | View full cache | Visit Website
    [/QUOTE]

I accept I may be reading too much into these. From memory I can't remember any reference to Florida in Causes for Concern.

Advertisement