Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Policy

• 05-04-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I have an interview in two weeks to do a H.dip in Social Policy in uni next year, and am freaking it out as I have never had an academic interview before!

Since its such a broad topic I am having problems defining what social policy is? My understanding is that its studying how human needs are met. Is there anyone who has studied it who can give me more of an insight into the topic.

Also is there anyone studying it at the moment who can give point me in the direction of anynew exciting resarch or topical issues in the Irish social policy at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I haven't studied social policy, but department websites are the place to go to read up on latest/emerging research. Staff members should have regularly updated publication lists, and departments will usually list their main research clusters, ongoing/funded projects, postdoc advertisements (probably light these days), calls for conference papers and seminar series' topic listings. These should give you a good indication of the main currents.

What are your own interests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

I hope this isnt too late for you

Social policy draws on sociology to explain the social context of welfare provision. If we are trying to improve people's welfare, it is helpful to try to understand something about the way that people are, and how welfare policies relate to their situation. Some writers have gone further, arguing that because welfare takes place in a social context, it can only be understood in that context. This has been particularly important for 'critical social policy', which begins from a view of social policy as underpinned by social inequality - particularly the inequalities of class, race and gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

I'm doing a degree in it at the moment, I love it. I'm only in first year though,

Our lecturer didn't give us a clear definition of 'Social Policy' as it is open to discussion really depending on how you view equality/justice. This might help though

Common Misconceptions to Avoid:
    -All Social Policy is about is striving for greater equality IN ONE SINGLE SENSE OF THE WORD
    -SP just for the benefit of the poor
    -Spolicies are always in opposition to, and contradict the basic principles of welfare capitalism (note book title- Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism)
    - Social policy is separate from Economic,Education and Employment policy.

I hope that may have helped give you a better understanding of what it is, and is not.

Advertisement