Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drainage

Options
  • 20-10-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Looking here and different forums came across people using perforated corripipe wrapped in terram for drainage. Just wondering if this works long term oor does it block over time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Looking here and different forums came across people using perforated corripipe wrapped in terram for drainage. Just wondering if this works long term oor does it block over time.

I know a man who used the "wrapped pipe" in a field containing peat soil.
    It worked OK for the first year or so and then it started to fail.
    He took round baled silage off the field the year after the drainage and the weight of the tractors, wrapper and baler would like not have helped.
    He said he would never us that type of pipe again.
    In his words, it was a costly experience that failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Better solution is to line the trench bottom and sides with terram. Bed and surround pipe with pea gravel and backfill with clean 2", topping off with soil of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are you using yellow coil or straight black pipe? I put in a layer of 2 inch stone, then black pipe, cover with stone, then terram, soil on top. Idea is to stop soil getting into stone and pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It would depend on the ground. Never used that stuff. Generally we cover the pipe with 2 inch stone and use a minimum of 4 inch pipe. Put a sewer pipe or similar over the outlet and back into the land drain to prevent roots growing thru It and blocking it. If it's ground water you're after depth is important I think

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Water John wrote: »
    Are you using yellow coil or straight black pipe? I put in a layer of 2 inch stone, then black pipe, cover with stone, then terram, soil on top. Idea is to stop soil getting into stone and pipe.

Will be using black pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Mooooo wrote: »
    It would depend on the ground. Never used that stuff. Generally we cover the pipe with 2 inch stone and use a minimum of 4 inch pipe. Put a sewer pipe or similar over the outlet and back into the land drain to prevent roots growing thru It and blocking it. If it's ground water you're after depth is important I think
    Redoing storm drains from a house will be crossing to a drain at the bottom of a hill was hoping to catch water coming off hill with a section of the drain. Killing two birds with the one stone

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Belongamick

One suggestion I heard recently was in relation to peat type ground;
    Assume there is an open drain around the perimeter of the field.
    Use stone only in the narrow shores within the field to be drained. The depth of the stone should be in such a way that it gets deeper as you approach the main drain. The guy that offered this suggestion was trying to avoid the sinking corripipe that occurs if a heavy machine passes over it. I am not sure how long the shore in question would be.

Advertisement