Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Name on Everything!

Options
  • 21-10-2019 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone help me out?
    Looking for a list of things that i WANT to change my name on since getting married! Just wondering if i am missing anything!
    I am aware i don't NEED to change but my name on anything but that is my personal choice to WANT to change my name.

Bank Accounts
    Drivers License
    Passport
    Mortgage
    Utility Bills
    Pension

Anything else i'm possibly missing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Well, you do not actually need to do any of it.

A lot of woman decide to do so in any case, but rest assured you will not be at any legal disadvantage if you decide not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Couldn't be arsed changing my name on anything. Why would you bother when men never have this problem.

Quite a few women I know want to do the name change thing, it is a part of 'their marriage' etc, in their opinion.

I have nothing against those that want to change name, each to their own.

You do not need to do it for any legal reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Stocks and shares.
    Tell your solicitor/accountant.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

lazygal wrote: »
    Couldn't be arsed changing my name on anything. Why would you bother when men never have this problem.

Username checks out :P

• Advertisement

Doctor/dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Pps card and health insurance?

Get some sleep op :pac:

Household tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭blackbox

Employer ( assuming you have one)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personal email account.
    Facebook / insta / whatever
    Home and/or contents insurance.
    Union membership
    Professional organisation / registration (teachers council etc)
    Personnel file at work (likely need to update your next of kin there too).
    Dog license
    Vet
    Doggie daycare
    Kids school / parents nursing home
    Any organisations you do voluntary work for.
    Management company records (if you own your home and the complex has one) or lease (if renting)
    Health insurance
    Travel insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Personal email account.
    Facebook / insta / whatever
    Home and/or contents insurance.
    Union membership
    Professional organisation / registration (teachers council etc)
    Personnel file at work (likely need to update your next of kin there too).
    Dog license
    Vet
    Doggie daycare
    Kids school / parents nursing home
    Any organisations you do voluntary work for.
    Management company records (if you own your home and the complex has one) or lease (if renting)
    Health insurance
    Travel insurance

Thank you! Quite a comprehensive list!!

I'm quite well aware that i don't HAVE to change my name on anything but i WANT to change my name - personal choice thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Aw I kinda like the old school way of changing your name. I changed all my utility bills, work, my driving licence, my passport, social media and I'm in the process of changing it on my bank account.

lunamoon wrote: »
    Aw I kinda like the old school way of changing your name. I changed all my utility bills, work, my driving licence, my passport, social media and I'm in the process of changing it on my bank account.

Thank you!! You'd swear i was being held at gunpoint to do it when it's something i actually want to do!!

Now to decide between joint assessment or seperate assesment on revenue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thank you!! You'd swear i was being held at gunpoint to do it when it's something i actually want to do!!

Now to decide between joint assessment or seperate assesment on revenue!!

Congrats tiredblondie! The sisterhood say they want choice choice choice for women.
    But if you don’t make the “right” choice there are a good few of the sisterhood quite happy to throw you overboard right away.
    We had our mortgage before we married and the Irish Permanent (now PTSB), like a disapproving parent, have never accepted my marriage! Despite numerous letters and phone calls they still write to me in my maiden name!

splinter65 wrote: »
    Congrats tiredblondie! The sisterhood say they want choice choice choice for women.
    But if you don’t make the “right” choice there are a good few of the sisterhood quite happy to throw you overboard right away.
    We had our mortgage before we married and the Irish Permanent (now PTSB), like a disapproving parent, have never accepted my marriage! Despite numerous letters and phone calls they still write to me in my maiden name!

The feminatsy brigade.... 🙄🙄🙄

I presume the mortgage company need marriage cert to change name?
    Utility companies all accepted an email
    Bank of Ireland I need to go into which is annoying as I'll need to take time off work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You want to whinge about it being difficult to change your whole identity, and at the same time blame the women who told you you needn't bother?
    Anywho.

Another few for your list

Educational institutions for your accreditations
    Private pensions
    Loyalty cards for shops
    Actually, anywhere you shop that has your name
    Amazon
    eBay
    Parcel motel
    Gym
    TV licence
    Other post office accounts
    Look back through any email received and inform them of your new email
    Social media
    CV

I'm quite well aware that i don't HAVE to change my name on anything but i WANT to change my name - personal choice thanks very much

To be fair to other posters, your opening post did indeed give the impression that you thought that it was mandatory, i.e. 'Looking for a list of things that i need to change my name on ...' so I would not be biting their heads off if I was you.

Anyway, I think if it was me I would cherry pick which ones I change and which I do not. Having a mix can definitely be played to your advantage sometimes, I know quite a few women who do so.

pwurple wrote: »
    You want to whinge about it being difficult to change your whole identity, and at the same time blame the women who told you you needn't bother?
    Anywho.

Another few for your list

Educational institutions for your accreditations
    Private pensions
    Loyalty cards for shops
    Actually, anywhere you shop that has your name
    Amazon
    eBay
    Parcel motel
    Gym
    TV licence
    Other post office accounts
    Look back through any email received and inform them of your new email
    Social media
    CV

I'm not whinging about anything??
    And i haven't blamed anyone on anything!!!

skallywag wrote: »
    To be fair to other posters, your opening post did indeed give the impression that you thought that it was mandatory, i.e. 'Looking for a list of things that i need to change my name on ...' so I would not be biting their heads off if I was you.

Anyway, I think if it was me I would cherry pick which ones I change and which I do not. Having a mix can definitely be played to your advantage sometimes, I know quite a few women who do so.

Your point has been taken on board and i have amended my opening post.

I did not bite the head off anyone?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm not whinging about anything??

This:
    Bank of Ireland I need to go into which is annoying as I'll need to take time off work!

And i haven't blamed anyone on anything!!!

This
    The feminatsy brigade.... ������

Whinging and finding something annoying i.e. the opening hours of banks are two different things!

Placing blame and stating a fact are also two different things.

Clearly you've not got much to be doing with your time!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Enough bickering. Either everyone behaves themselves or I'll lock the thread.

Toots wrote: »
    Enough bickering. Either everyone behaves themselves or I'll lock the thread.

Please go ahead and lock the thread....it wasnt worth the bother of asking for some advice (except of course for the couple of people who just gave a normal answer!)

Advertisement