Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan with high Cholesterol , stopped using Oil

Options
  • 20-09-2019 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Vegan now about 3 years , veggie 10 before that. Went to the doc for bloods a few weeks ago and he said my cholesterol level was approaching the danger zone. Bit of a shock tbh as I thought I ate fairly well , no history of high cholesterol in the family , am fairly active cycle everywhere , sports 2-3 times a week , occasionally vegan junk food , chips etc etc .

I looked into it a bit and I think the culprit is Oil . Since becoming vegan I've been cooking a lot at home and I really lash the oil on , lots of oily stir fries , salad dressings , oil dips for bread , oil in hummus , oil everywhere. I watched a few vids like the one below and I am now on the no oil route , cooking with water and steaming , baking etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtwwZP4Yfs&t=7s

I just have two Questions that I cannot find answers to my satisfaction to anywhere online.

1. is the oil that separates from natural peanut butter that you get in those meridian peanut butter buckets an unhealthy oil just the same as any of the other oils that raise cholesterol ?

2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is just pressed Olives and I see a lot of information on various sites explaining that it contains healthy fats , almost saying its a health food. Is Extra Virgin Olive Oil ok so ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm not sure if there is peer reviewed science out there but I have seen some anecdotal evidence of blood tests from people online who have their LDL cholesterol raised from oils. Coconut oil seems to be a big one.

I stay away from the stuff and get fat from food such as nuts and seeds which raise HDL cholesterol

I cook daily and about 3-5 years ago I stopped buying or using oil of any kind.

I can’t tell the difference except when I’m cleaning the plates after eating or the Tupperware having stored cooked food in them for 3-5 days.

Previously when cooking with oil I’d need to use a fairy liquid type washing product to clean the plates and the Tupperware was very noticeably stained and hard to clean.

Now I can clean the Tupperware with just hot water and the food I cook tastes no different.

I start pretty much every recipe with about 80-100ml of water and a diced onion and sweat on a very low heat for about 10-12 minutes. Then increase heat significantly and add my spices and cook off for 2-4 minutes and then start adding anything else (usually tomatoes next) I’m using for that particular dish.

The fluid from initial water and onions is enough to cook out the spices without them sticking.

Edit - in short I don’t miss the oil one bit. I also just use water when making pesto or hummus or salad dressings and I find it to be a lot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I used to smother everything in extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil or rapeseed oil as I was convinced these oils were very healthy. I stopped using them about six months ago as they’re very calorific - it initially took a while to get used to cooking without oils but I don’t feel taste has suffered and my new cooking method is kinder to the waistline.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

White Clover do not post like that again, same goes for people thanking such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi there,

Vegan now about 3 years , veggie 10 before that. Went to the doc for bloods a few weeks ago and he said my cholesterol level was approaching the danger zone. Bit of a shock tbh as I thought I ate fairly well , no history of high cholesterol in the family , am fairly active cycle everywhere , sports 2-3 times a week , occasionally vegan junk food , chips etc etc .

I looked into it a bit and I think the culprit is Oil . Since becoming vegan I've been cooking a lot at home and I really lash the oil on , lots of oily stir fries , salad dressings , oil dips for bread , oil in hummus , oil everywhere. I watched a few vids like the one below and I am now on the no oil route , cooking with water and steaming , baking etc.

I just have two Questions that I cannot find answers to my satisfaction to anywhere online.

1. is the oil that separates from natural peanut butter that you get in those meridian peanut butter buckets an unhealthy oil just the same as any of the other oils that raise cholesterol ?

2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is just pressed Olives and I see a lot of information on various sites explaining that it contains healthy fats , almost saying its a health food. Is Extra Virgin Olive Oil ok so ?

Did he definitely give you a breakdown of your cholesterol to know it’s actually a problem.

I wouldn’t make many changes until you are sure of the breakdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi there,

Oil is essentially the same as sugar, a food that is stripped of all other nutrients, I'd get my fat intake from other things and keep oil as low as possible in general. Sure some oils are better or worse than others for certain things but a good general rule of thumb is to keep it low. I know I'll be eating oil while eating out so I eat none at home.

A breakdown is also useful as noted!

Advertisement