Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your biggest extravagance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Probably my iPhone. I'm fairly good with money, but my phone is my only waste. It cost about ~€900 and then €43 a month after that (including insurance). I know it's wasting money, but it's my only treat to myself really.

My outgoings are the usual subscriptions (Netflix, Spotify, Prime, Irish Times, Dropbox etc). I'll be moving out of the folks place in a year or two so I'll have a mortgage and utilities then soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I think my most expansive extravagance was on my teeth it work out at about 10k. I had it done in Ireland simply because I wasn't risking something like that in another country.

You cant beat being able to smile... So its worth every penny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Everything I have is absolutely essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd generally say I don't splash out on extravagances, but I can think of loads of examples where I did.

We're getting a stove fitted and could have gotten a good one 600 quid cheaper. But we like the look of the one we've chosen, so we'll pay it. The logic being that we'll be looking at it for long enough.

I've gone skiing every year for the last 4 years. I pick Austria because it's the best value, but don't count the pennies when I get there.

I buy expensive coffee beans (over €30/kg). But I don't often buy coffee out, so that justifies it to me.

For a wedding gift from my wife I got a new golf club for €400. The logic was that it's the only excuse I'll have to spend that on a golf club, but to be honest there's no real justification for spending that on one club. It's a disgraceful price. And I won't be doing it again any time soon.

Why didn't you just get two separate matresses?

I have a king size bed 200cm x 180cm and have 2 90 X 200 matresses of differing firmness in the frame.

Oh I would have, but it's not a standard size bed so it was going to be a custom mattress anyway. At least this is double sided so it can be flipped, most off the shelf mattresses are just rotation only.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    Do you ever swap positions when you're on that mattress, just to see what if feels like?

I've fallen asleep on his side a couple of times, to me it feels like I've snoozed on concrete!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

... The money he spent would put a deposit on a bungalow in the midlands....

2 grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I do a lot of running so have an expensive pair of Nike runners that a couple of years ago I would have never thought of spending over €200 on a single pair. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Most I have ever spent in 1 go, 2,150 on new parts for my already stupidly good PC which I upgraded in January with an i9 9900k and 2080 Super among other upgrades

Though I have been saving ALOT for a wedding and Mortgage so I felt like I deserved the expense as without it I would be spending loads on outings weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

For me, it's got to be going to Rugby matches. Between Ireland and Leinster, I probably go to all their home games and around 4 away games each season since around 2006 (when I started to have my own money).

All those €50 tickets in April/May really add up!

A future extravagance will be something plastic surgery related on my face. A bit of a lift and a tuck. I'm not too concerned about wrinkles it's sagging and lack of firmness that would bother me.

I love love high end makeup and skincare but don't buy them too often. I do have my eye on this though. Thing about buying lipsticks and glosses online is you can't really test them. Not that you can do that these days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Most I have ever spent in 1 go, 2,150 on new parts for my already stupidly good PC which I upgraded in January with an i9 9900k and 2080 Super among other upgrades

Though I have been saving ALOT for a wedding and Mortgage so I felt like I deserved the expense as without it I would be spending loads on outings weekly

Keep telling yourself that! :D I'd still be on my computer even if it was a pile of junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Really? What brand, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’d spend about €16 on a pair of tights / stayups (Falke brand) and, bam, ladders in them after about one wear.

Then again, I’m a clumsy biach.. :)

Hey! The expensive ones I used to buy were Wolford. Sadly, I can’t afford them anymore but actually, a make I really like isn’t actually that expensive is Gipsy. They are very keenly priced and are good quality. I get them on ASOS mostly though I’m sure they have their own site. I agree that Falke are not great. By cheapo ones, I mean that I never buy tights in Penneys or Dunnes. They are just not worth the low price. M&S is pretty decent for them but my rec would be Gipsy.

I love tights. I’m so glad I live in a country that is cold enough that wearing them isn’t gross and sweaty most of the time. :pac:

A future extravagance will be something plastic surgery related on my face. A bit of a lift and a tuck. I'm not too concerned about wrinkles it's sagging and lack of firmness that would bother me.
    That's something I'd do, also. I'm paranoid about getting one of those turkey necks. I have eye wrinkles due to years of squinting when I should be wearing glasses, but it's the sagging I really dread. You have nothing to worry about, though, having the countenance of a young but somehow wise child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Very cool seeing all the mentions of Jack B Yeats works. My dad has a huge collection of all the Cuala Press prints and a good few illustrations are by Jack B. Must do more learning about it for when they're eventually mine

Not many extravagant purchases for me, I tend to do the buy once cry once thing, an extravagant purchase was probably a set of Technics 1210 mk2 turntables. I got a huge amount of use out of them but they just sit now. Having said that I just looked them up on ebay and I've probably broken even or maybe they have appreciated slightly, so maybe not so extravagant after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

50k on a Tesla model S.
    Before that it was 15k on a 60's american car, and similar on a 80's rolls royce.

I like cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I own a racehorse. Patchy form so far, and outgoings are significantly greater than prize money.

I’m also a member of one of Dublin’s more prestigious links golf courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

kowloon wrote: »
    Once you've had one you can never go back to regular eggs.

"If you eat caviar every day, it's difficult to return to sausages."

That's something I'd do, also. I'm paranoid about getting one of those turkey necks. I have eye wrinkles due to years of squinting when I should be wearing glasses, but it's the sagging I really dread. You have nothing to worry about, though, having the countenance of a young but somehow wise child.

Or jowls :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

Brunch (all of this pre Covid). I'd happily go out to a place with friends and get egg, avocado and sourdough and spend €15 when I know I could make it for a €5 at home. Instead we get some good coffee or a cocktail, and enjoy a couple of hours catching up somewhere nice. It can often tip into a few drinks afterwards so a "brunch day" could end up costing about €75 quid all in!!!! It would only be once a month and I wouldn't swop it for the life of me:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My car is my biggest extravagance tbh, and it's not that fancy :o

Got a job which required an 130km round trip to get to daily and had a crap car so took out a loan and forked out for a new one.

Love it really though, even though I'm now back only 15 mins drive from work!

• Advertisement

Or jowls :(
    We're lucky in this regard, at least we have the option of getting rid of them. I know it's only a first-world problem but if you had jowls or turkey-neck in the 1990s, you had it for life. I'm glad that cosmetic surgery has lost its stigma, there is no valid reason for anyone to feel bad about improving their self confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

We're lucky in this regard, at least we have the option of getting rid of them. I know it's only a first-world problem but if you had jowls or turkey-neck in the 1990s, you had it for life. I'm glad that cosmetic surgery has lost its stigma, there is no valid reason for anyone to feel bad about improving their self confidence.

Absolutely not, if it makes the person feel better about themselves they should have no hesitation (besides the fact it is a medical procedure) with undertaking cosmetic surgery.

However I know first hand how addictive it can become, or in other terms, how it may change a person's mindset.

Girl from school had a birthmark and spider veins removed. She later started to get her lips done. Got her nose done and was adamant that was it.
    She started getting Botox last year and there are talks of her getting her breasts done next year.

I've no doubt it won't end there. It's sad to see really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Hey! The expensive ones I used to buy were Wolford. Sadly, I can’t afford them anymore but actually, a make I really like isn’t actually that expensive is Gipsy. They are very keenly priced and are good quality. I get them on ASOS mostly though I’m sure they have their own site. I agree that Falke are not great. By cheapo ones, I mean that I never buy tights in Penneys or Dunnes. They are just not worth the low price. M&S is pretty decent for them but my rec would be Gipsy.

I love tights. I’m so glad I live in a country that is cold enough that wearing them isn’t gross and sweaty most of the time. :pac:

Thank you. I will investigate these! Off to do some online shopping!

Ok - on topic - sometimes I spend too much on online clothes and electronics shopping. I only got into in last year and.. well - it’s dangerous for somebody with impulse control problems like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Garzard

Scale model kits - few things I look forward to more than sitting down on a weekend night with a few beers, a decent film in the background and putting together a historic piece of engineering; mainly German vehicles and tanks from WW2. Some companies have recently released kits with full interiors, engines and automotive components to be assembled, adding to the challenge and joy of it - done properly and with patience, the kits look fantastic when finished. Have a fair collection built up now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At the start of the lockdown stuff a mate of mine into the scale models who's into that(and bloody good at it) sent me a couple to keep me occupied. WW2 planes(was never into tanks really). Hadn't put one together since I was a kid, so the first effort was a bit meh. Then he gave a loan of an airbrush and after viewing a load of youtubes on the subject the second one was better, the third is the only kit I ever built that doesn't immediately look like a lump of badly painted plastic. I can definitely see the appeal, though I'm a bit impatient so... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Does spending €1800.00 on a longines watch for my ex wife count.

To be fair tho its a damm nice watch :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

For me, cars and watches. Currently have a collection of cars and and a collection of watches. Easily 6 figure sums at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Garzard

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can definitely see the appeal, though I'm a bit impatient so... :D

Don't you muck about with watchmaking though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

blue note wrote:
    For a wedding gift from my wife I got a new golf club for €400. The logic was that it's the only excuse I'll have to spend that on a golf club, but to be honest there's no real justification for spending that on one club. It's a disgraceful price. And I won't be doing it again any time soon.

So wait you bought your own wedding present from your wife?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

Gave up gambling 16 years ago and put a €5er away in a jar every day (a lot less than I used to lose gambling) and said I’d treat myself once I got to 1000 days so bought a Rolex with it. Still have it and only wear it for special occasions.

Advertisement