Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your biggest extravagance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Marry me?

You're lucky to have gotten anything by JBY for 7 grand. Aside from the monetary investment, which has surely appreciated, it's just a really cool thing to own.

I saw a sketch of his for sale in James Adam & Sons a few years ago, a close-up of jockeys mid-race, with their whips flying, looking very intent. If I'd had the 10 grand, I'd have bought it. Imagine having a Jack Yeats in your house? That's the dream.

He won a silver medal, for Ireland, at the 1924 olympics in Paris.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

He won a silver medal, for Ireland, at the 1924 olympics in Paris.

The country's first medal. I love him. It's irritating that he has spent the last century in his brother's shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Copious amounts of weed. Although that has been removed as an option since the bust in Laois last week... *sad face*

Other than that, I spend loads on gaming and gaming merch, got a 2010 Merc E220 instead of a more frugal car, and general tech gadgets... I'm terrible with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Instead, I bought a mini-digger with a whole clatter of attachments for 200 times the price.

A farm
    A few slatted sheds
    A tractor , all eat money and time
    An X5, oh lord, 1200e tax, the maintenance is shocking,
    A boat, in a shed for 4 years , just dont have the time.

What kind of boat is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Most recent extravagance? A Barbour jacket.

Didn't really need it, but always had a hankering for one.

Of course I got it cheap(er), it being summer and all.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

What kind of boat is it?

Nothing too big or expensive
    A dublin bay mermaid
    Still an expensive door stop. Sails are probably ruined, haven't been taken out of the bag in 3 years

I like a good pair of tights. I have a Wolford pair from years ago that are in great condition. I had a look at the Snag website. Their sizing is very specific, prominent bum and/or belly, and flat bum/and or belly. I am neither.
    Good for you, but life as a woman sounds totally exhausting. Really, I don't know how you guys put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Makeup, skincare and Clothes.

I can easily blow 200 euro in the makeup section of Brown Thomas. Im quite paired down when it comes to wearing makeup. I don't look like I wear allot of it as I like a natural look but makeup that does the job while also looking natural is surprisingly expensive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mine would be books (well, I am an academic) art on my walls (I will pay a good price - but not an exorbitant price for a stunning piece) and one luxury holiday a year (would do a more budget week away also if I can afford it and one or two weekend breaks also).

I think that it is ok to treat yourself to one or two nice little luxuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The country's first medal. I love him. It's irritating that he has spent the last century in his brother's shadow.

Let's not go mad, 'his brother' was one of the greatest writers of all time and deserves all the praise he gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Make-up. Anything that's going on my eyes and skin, I want good quality. I'd rather spend a fair chunk of money on something I know will blend easily, look good, stay on and last in good condition in the packaging until it's expired.

Aside from that, nothing. I'll eventually spend thousands on brachioplasty (skin removal on upper arms) because I have loose skin from weight loss. I don't care about the skin on my stomach or thighs but what's on my arms genuinely plays havoc with my confidence and I won't wear a massive range of clothes because of it, so for me it'll be thousands very well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Josh.

Music ,when i choose to listen to it which isn't very often

Interferes with my brain chemistry and addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I like a good pair of tights. I have a Wolford pair from years ago that are in great condition. I had a look at the Snag website. Their sizing is very specific, prominent bum and/or belly, and flat bum/and or belly. I am neither.

They're not that restrictive size / bodyshape wise, but they're not "fancy" tights either (no offense intended to anyone who thinks they are) - they're your bog standard everyday tights with a lot of height and size flexibility. If they don't meet your needs that's no problem, I'm a big fan myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ryanair lost it and you found it again??

It went missing from one of their flights and you found it on the side of the road in another country?

Nope, but there is a thread on it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110479841

It was left behind in Munich Airport when I flew to Dublin, but nobody could find it, so on a business trip 2 months later I went looking for it and found it in the airport. In the meantime Ryanair gave up on looking for it and agreed to pay me out. I actually told them I'd found it, but heard nothing from them, as legally, once they paid up it became salvage.

Incidentally, in that thread there's a few good tips on how to find luggage that is deemed 'lost'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Books, first editions, limited editions, illustrated editions. Use a kindle for day to day but I’ve some expensive books.

Other than that clothes & shoes, a ridiculous, stupid amount of money spent on both, I think I’ve easily about 200 pairs of shoes, over 100/150 dresses... funny thing is I wear pretty much the same Thing or variation of the same things each day and change into a tracksuit after work, but I like clothes, I like finding something little bit quirky, unusual or vintage and am happy spend what ever it costs to have it... might never wear them, but I want them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

The vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think I've any real extravagance apart from occasional makeup and perfume splurges, but I go for quality over quantity.

Good for you, but life as a woman sounds totally exhausting. Really, I don't know how you guys put up with it.

Good for me because I like a nice pair of tights? Wha? :)

Life as a woman isn't exhausting at all for me. Imagine being a smelly yucky man?

:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

None of it is mandatory and some of us don't bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Doe or dole?

Our own money, don't worry;)

We both work full time, have been lucky to both survive rounds of cuts in our places of business (for now!).

• Advertisement

I'd say it's the apartment I rent as I don't really spend much money on other things. It's not even that expensive, but it's definitely a splurge considering I'm single and could get something nice for half the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Eh, I'm struggling to think. . .

I suppose the telly was £1100 but that's down from £3000 when released so I see that as a good deal rather than extravagance.

I am planning to splurge up to about £1500 on a surround sound system for the living room.

I suppose the foreign wedding shindig counts but then again it was substantially cheaper and sunnier than an Irish wedding.

Oh wait a minute, we went for to Chelmsford for a sneaky five guys for lunch yesterday, that's definitely a contender!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Socks and booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

€2000 on a camera and another €1500 on lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

XXL silk undergarments 60 cans of Monster Ultra Blue a week and Fiji water for my cat

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

theteal wrote: »
    Oh wait a minute, we went for to Chelmsford for a sneaky five guys for lunch yesterday, that's definitely a contender!

Did you have to pay them separately or did they come as a package?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

tuff1 wrote: »
    Did you have to pay them separately or did they come as a package?

They came together. . . . ooooh matron :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Forgot to add that I like to have a week long ski trip every year if I can but I'll forego any other holiday for this if necessary. While ski trips are never cheap, I don't spend a lot of money while I'm there.
    I guess all holidays are an extravagance but for some reason, ski trips seem more so. Not exactly environmentally sound, either.

Not sure there'll be a ski trip in 2021, though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Most recently I would say the draught system I had installed in the man-cave.Otherwise it's the fancy bits and bobs for the HD.as well as booze and the good smoke as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Oh and Faberge eggs, have a weakness for them too.

Once you've had one you can never go back to regular eggs.

Advertisement