Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug Dealer Fashion

Options
  • 16-06-2020 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Certain fashion brands now seem to be de rigueur for younger drug dealers and their hangers on.

Canada Goose and Moncler seem to be a uniform for them these days.

Even on the warmest days you can see young goosedown jacket clad guys going about their business in €600 jackets.

Was there ever an easier way to recognise them before now.

Is there any other item that is a style signifier for drug scum.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nike Airmax 97s, grey North Face tracksuits, actually nearly anything North Face at all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

I don't know...guns maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

North Face.
    Used to like that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Man bags..

I don’t get it.

They look like knobs.

Saw one yesterday and it was confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

North Face still like that brand but you need to understand that they have a fashion range as well as a range for genuine outdoors users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What's the story with the Canada Goose trend. Seriously popular around Dublin this winter. Even the auld ones were kitted out in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Big long streaks of lads, in a long coat with the fake fur hood with the hands buried in their pockets. They don’t stand out nor look like archetypal drug dealer at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What's the story with the Canada Goose trend. Seriously popular around Dublin this winter. Even the auld ones were kitted out in them.

Prob all knock offs selling for 60quid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

imme wrote: »
    Certain fashion brands now seem to be de rigueur for younger drug dealers and their hangers on.

Canada Goose and Moncler seem to be a uniform for them these days.

Even on the warmest days you can see young goosedown jacket clad guys going about their business in €600 jackets.

Was there ever an easier way to recognise them before now.

Is there any other item that is a style signifier for drug scum.

So goose jacket = drug dealer scum :D

How anyone pays 600 for them absolute muck jackets is beyond me .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cupatae wrote: »
    So goose jacket = drug dealer scum :D

Goose down = pat down :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Man bags..

I don’t get it.

They look like knobs.

Saw one yesterday and it was confirmed.

Bum bags hung around the neck is one I've seen quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Moncler jackets, EA7 or Hugo Boss shorts, t-shirts and tracksuits. Cross body man bag essential and is the most reliable indicator now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Every kid in my area wears a north face jacket and grey tracksuit bottoms and weird looking runners. I don't think it's drug dealer fashion per se, just the way youngfellas dress nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That hideous shorts/white socks combo that seems to be inspired by Mexican American gangbangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Doesn't matter what kind of clothes they're wearing, you pick them out immediately by the tracksuit tucked into the socks. Didn't realise they had upgraded from Addidas and Nike tbh, I don't look at them long enough to know what brand it is. Just throw my internal disdain at them and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Doesn't matter what kind of clothes they're wearing, you pick them out immediately by the tracksuit tucked into the socks. Didn't realise they had upgraded from Addidas and Nike tbh, I don't look at them long enough to know what brand it is. Just throw my internal disdain at them and move on.

I've wondered lately whether Adidas and Nike are now seen as Dad brands for these lads. Everyone under 20 seems to wear Under Armour, North Face etc. Yet it seems to die out once they pass 21 or thereabouts and they move away from the skinny jeans/ trackies and the teenager brands.

Canada Goose is comical looking stuff. I've seen lads wearing them in the height of the recent sunshine, no wonder they're all so skinny the weight must be sweating off them :pac:

That's another one that's changed lately. Young lads are skinny again. 5 years ago when ****e like Geordie Shore was at its height there wasn't a teenager around who wasn't a weightlifting gym junkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

re the drug dealer image, I don't think a 600 quid jacket necessarily means they are one (not to mention plenty of drug dealers haven't a pot to piss in). I'm 35, when I was in my late teens early 20's most young lads didn't spend much on going out clothes. A decent button up from Penneys or T Shirt from Jack Jones or Jean Scene or whoever was all most people were in to. I didn't know anyone who went to BT, it would have had the image as a D4 joint.

Difference is back then we were often out three, four nights a week. There simply wasn't the money left for expensive clothes.

Things are different now, I don't think most young lads go on the sauce more than once a week, if even that. There aren't the amount of nightclubs to head to as there were, certainly not on a Thursday or a Sunday night. Young lads have more of their money available for clothes than we did. If you're on 400 quid a week minimum wage or as an apprentice, living at home no rent, only out once a week, a 600 quid jacket isn't all that much. Also rave culture not being what it was- 15 years ago I wouldn't fancy destroying an 80 quid Ralph Lauren shirt with yoked up sweat for 12 hours every weekend, a 20 euro shirt was much more pertinent.

The increased popularity of the League of Ireland in the last 3- 4 years has also influenced it a bit. Casual culture labels, stuff like Stone Island and Lacoste have got very popular in the last few years.

The increased popularity of the League of Ireland in the last 3- 4 years has also influenced it a bit. Casual culture labels, stuff like Stone Island and Lacoste have got very popular in the last few years.

Bloody kids, wouldn't know what hit them if they had to do a cold night in Buckley Park *grumbles in old duffer*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Goose down = pat down :o

Watch it!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Lurching wrote: »
    North Face.
    Used to like that brand.

I moved to Craft just as good if not a little better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

add in Dsqured2, Kenzo, McQueen, Valentino, Gucci to that list too, previously high end labels but absolutely ruined now, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You can spot the undesirables from a mile off when the fella is wearing those grey cotton tracksuit bottoms and designer runners (usually white), and their toddler is kitted out in the exact same gear. Like mini me.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Parka Jacket with shorts and Gucci runners

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The lads who are heavily dressed in hot weather must be using their own supply. Heroin users are always feeling the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

When I was a teen in the late nineties Stone Island and CP company were popular on the terraces in certain circles. It's more popular now though. I think expensive brands have always been popular among the working class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Shorts, even if its cold and of course the Canada Goose jackets.

I used to work in a high end store. You could always spot the drug dealers. Massive jacket and always paying in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

L1011 wrote: »
    Nike Airmax 97s, grey North Face tracksuits, actually nearly anything North Face at all now.

Is North Face not more scummy fashion chic than drug dealer style.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Yes it has been taken over by drug dealer types and hangers on.
    It is similar in parts of the UK.

I suppose it is a status symbol, wearing something identifiable that cost €600 +++.

What do the yummy mummies of Foxrock or the skiing dads of Leixlip do now with their Canada goose jackets.

Prob all knock offs selling for 60quid

They are doing a booming trade in a Southside department store.

If there so many fakes would the Canada goose people not want to do something about that devaluing their product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

imme wrote: »
    They are doing a booming trade in a Southside department store.

If there so many fakes would the Canada goose people not want to do something about that devaluing their product.

Not really a whole lot the brand can do about fakes. The more popular a brand becomes with a segment that generally does not have the finances to purchase that brand, a gap opens in the market.

Lets be honest, they are more interested in a badge than the benefits of duck down. Sure most of them have argos microfibre duvets.

If the counterfeiters can sell a piece of crap with a fake badge on it,manufactured for €10 for €60, then drug dealers are in the wrong business

Advertisement