Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

glaswegian wrote: »
    I wasn't aware they were scarce in the west, i'm not much of a twitcher tbh, but i like photographing birds, I've heard a Woodpecker drumming in the woods twice in the last week in Doorly park which is adjacent to Sligo town.

Just a cursory look at the Irish Birding website doesn't appear to show any records for Great Spotted Woodpecker sightings in the County of Sligo.

Edit: Just had a closer look at Irish Birding and it would seem there's been four or five recorded sightings since about 2014. Union wood (wherever that may be), seems to be a place where most of the sightings have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Just a cursory look at the Irish Birding website doesn't appear to show any records for Great Spotted Woodpecker sightings in the County of Sligo.

Edit: Just had a closer look at Irish Birding and it would seem there's been four or five recorded sightings since about 2014. Union wood (wherever that may be), seems to be a place where most of the sightings have been.

The sighting for October last was reported by myself, after i had taken the picture i met a chap Bird spotting in Ballisodare bay, i got chatting to him and showed him the pictures, he asked if i would report it to the Irish Birding website, i reported it slightly wrong though, i stated the pic was taken at Dooney rock when it was infact taken in Slish wood, both woodland walks on the shore of Lough Gill, so if i ever meet that chap again i'll have to apologize for sending him to the wrong place,:eek: even though they back on to one and other.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Blackbird
    dC1Aucy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

That’s a stunning photo NEW WAVE

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Scarlet Elf Cup in Ballyseedy Woods Tralee recently.

X37aFbl.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

My sister sent me these pics of common newts (Lissotriton vulgaris) outside her back door. They appear regularly.

Tuesday night
    IMG-20210224-001010.jpg

Again last night, brought a few friends with them
    IMG-20210224-234651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lolie wrote: »
    My sister sent me these pics of common lizards outside her back door. They appear regularly.
    Not an expert by any means but on any photos I've seen (including ones I've taken myself) common lizards have 5 toes on their front feet whereas these appear to have 3. Could they be common/smooth newts rather than common lizards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Glaswegian I agree with New Home your robin close up portrait is adorable from a distance I only see the brown/red/white feathers its nice to see feathers close up!

Alun wrote: »
    Not an expert by any means but on any photos I've seen (including ones I've taken myself) common lizards have 5 toes on their front feet whereas these appear to have 3. Could they be common/smooth newts rather than common lizards?

You're correct, its a common/smooth newt. Dont know why i had lizard in my head when writing that.
    I might head over tonight and try get a better photo if they're out again.

Gathering of the clan
    e76XH3R.jpg

ddu6NNz.jpg

VLWeBFH.jpg

• Advertisement

Mad an amphibian version of see you in Coppers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pottokblue wrote: »
    Mad an amphibian version of see you in Coppers!!!
    ... no social distancing, and not a face mask in sight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,761 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

NEW WAVE wrote: »
    Gathering of the clan

Looks lik an orgy to me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm shocked and appalled. That should have had a NSFW tag. Won't somebody think of the tadpoles?!

NEW WAVE, these folks would be interested in hearing from you, I could bet on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

cnocbui wrote: »
    Looks lik an orgy to me.

Male frogs will hump anything at this time of year - saw a programme on Sky Nature recently were Salamanders in Germany were being "molested" by male Marsh Frogs as they tried to approach a pond

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"How YOU doin'".

Another pic sent to me this morning. The local bedding factory thought there was a cat hiding out in it the past few weeks so they set up a trap. Turned out it was a pine marten.
    I heard it was released safely later on.
    IMG-20210225-173325.jpg

One from july, wondered what was driving the goldfinches mad near the house until i seen this fella high up in the ash tree.
    oznorTO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,761 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Frog-spawn-2.jpg

New Home wrote: »
    I'm shocked and appalled. That should have had a NSFW tag. Won't somebody think of the tadpoles?!

NEW WAVE, these folks would be interested in hearing from you, I could bet on it. :)
    Form completed and sent. Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was feeling left out with no activity until this morning with the first sing of spawn in or pond and this guy hanging about here in Kerry :).

DDTkFxG.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Starling from a few days ago
    IMG-20210228-005023.jpg

A couple from the shore today.

Pied Wagtail and Herring Gull

tg1vAvn.jpg?1

x9mbdZm.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

this lad is back. pics thru window hoping to get him proper 2mrw

A few from the garden on this fine Spring like day.

Chaffinch

j8oQzdd.jpg?2

Goldfinch

GUmGbSB.jpg?1

House sparrow

Mohom85.jpg?1

Thanks for putting up the names Meteorite58 as I'm not great on identifying birds/flowers/trees or knowing their names. Is your kerry frog a papa frog or a mama frog???

this lad is back. pics thru window hoping to get him proper 2mrw
    who is this lad??

Thanks for putting up the names Meteorite58 as I'm not great on identifying birds/flowers/trees or knowing their names. Is your kerry frog a papa frog or a mama frog???

Don't know pottokblue, not well up on them. No new spawn today, slow this year here.

who is this lad??
    It's a Common Buzzard.

Was feeling left out with no activity until this morning with the first sing of spawn in or pond and this guy hanging about here in Kerry :).

DDTkFxG.jpg?1
    Love this! Super capture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

in other thread manic magpie

Advertisement