Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic jeep for towing

Options
  • 20-11-2011 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi guys anyone know the heads up on using automatic jeeps for towing.I have a 12x6 cattle trailer that pulls up to 5 cows on a regular basis.Would an automatic D-max/Hilux have the torque or pulling power to pull heavy loads or should i stick to manual.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

When the dmax was first launched I attended a training course on them.

One of the things they showed us was 2 dmax's doing a tug of war with each other. They auto one dragged the other one all over the shop.

EricCartman has an auto one I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

In my experience anyone who's never towed with an auto will say a manual is better. anyone who's towed with an auto will say auto is better.

I've never towed with an auto but have a open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I've towed with an auto and infact own an auto Range Rover....

Would never go back. They're better in nearly everyway.

you wont be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Nice one guys.Good info.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the D-Max auto is pretty good for towing, has bits like 3rd start and some sort of gradient sensing control, I had to move a 3 tonne generator and it was quite happily moving it up a hill. the power setup for the 12N and 12S connectors is already there so fitting power is easy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

I have an Landcruiser Amazon automatic, and I do a lot of heavy towing on a regular basis.

I was sceptical of the auto for towing at first but it is great. No riding clutches or anything either, the only thing you may miss if changing from a manual is being able to slow down through the gears, but you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I have an Landcruiser Amazon automatic, and I do a lot of heavy towing on a regular basis.

I was sceptical of the auto for towing at first but it is great. No riding clutches or anything either, the only thing you may miss if changing from a manual is being able to slow down through the gears, but you get used to it.

an amazon would pull pretty much anything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Even Birds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Even Birds :D

Yea, it's pretty good a both ;)

Advertisement