Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my menu so far

Options
  • 07-12-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

This is the chritsmas menu so far

Starter

Salmon and ginger fish cakes with homemade sweet chilli sauce ( served with Jacobs Creek reserve chardonnay )

Sorbet

Lime and Blackberry

Main

Marafat peas
    Buttered carrots
    Bread sauce
    Turkey
    Sausage stuffing
    Honey glazed ham
    Mashed potato
    Roast potato
    Cream and shallot gratin
    Gravey ( served with Oyster Bay Sauvigon Blanc )

Desert

Homemade Christmas pudding and cinnamon & brandy custard ( served with Brown Brothers Orange Muscat & Flora Desert wine )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Oh is the custard homemade?? If so care to share the recipe?? It sounds interesting and so Christmasy and delicious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

It is indeed homemade

1 vanilla pod
    250ml milk
    5 egg yolks , and 1 whole egg
    120g caster sugar
    250ml double cream
    1 Cinnamon stick
    20ml of brandy

Scrap out vanilla pod and add to milk, brandy & cinnamon stick a pan. Bring it to the boil and then leave to cool.

Whisk 5 egg yolks and 1 whole egg with the caster sugar until pale and thick.

Whisk in the milk then strain into a clean pan and put back on a lowish heat, stirring continuously until the custard thickens.

Then add the double cream and there is your custard...............:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Your starter sounds AMAZING! Nom nom nom :D

Thanks,

Last years starter was black pudding, topped with stewed apple wrapped in puff pastry and baked in the oven...................

Also my ham will be boiled in half water half orange juice to get a sweetness into it before its baked with marmalade, cloves and honey !

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Wow, if that reads the same way it tastes... Seems you have a 5 star service going on in that house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Thanks,

Last years starter was black pudding, topped with stewed apple wrapped in puff pastry and baked in the oven...................

Also my ham will be boiled in half water half orange juice to get a sweetness into it before its baked with marmalade, cloves and honey !

The orange juice is a great idea, I'm loving adding it to things lately as it really enhances the flavour, with carrots or butternut squash it makes all the difference. Might have to give it a go with the ham.

Thanks for the custard recipe, love homemade custard but with added delights it should be outstanding. Might use some Creme de Noyaux in it with the cinnamon, I will just have to get experimenting this weekend!! :D

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Wow, if that reads the same way it tastes... Seems you have a 5 star service going on in that house!

No just a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of work and prep but worth it when we all sit down and you see the look on the face of the others as they tuck in.

Oh and dinner is at 2 with desert at about 7:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

That all looks great - the only thing missing as far as I am concerned is the brussel sprouts. (I have to have the brussel sprouts at Christmas as it is the only time in the year, I will get them) I tend to do them with pancetta cubes and Marsala to make them palatable for the heretics. But D4RK ONION is right - that looks like a Michelin Star Christmas nosh up.

I'm the only one who eats the sprout so not wasting a pan on them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i love brown brothers wine - do you know if they do a tempranillo and where I could get same

• Advertisement

i love brown brothers wine - do you know if they do a tempranillo and where I could get same

Now that i don't know, i had to go to 5 different places to get that brown brothers and in the end it was Tesco that had it. Their own high end wine brands have a good desert wine as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

thanks elvis i will try it this weekend at tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

This is the chritsmas menu so far

Starter

Salmon and ginger fish cakes with homemade sweet chilli sauce ( served with Jacobs Creek reserve chardonnay )

Sorbet

Lime and Blackberry

Main

Marafat peas
    Buttered carrots
    Bread sauce
    Turkey
    Sausage stuffing
    Honey glazed ham
    Mashed potato
    Roast potato
    Cream and shallot gratin
    Gravey ( served with Oyster Bay Sauvigon Blanc )

Desert

Homemade Christmas pudding and cinnamon & brandy custard ( served with Brown Brothers Orange Muscat & Flora Desert wine )

I make a salmon and prawn cake and its yum. Would love to see the "how to" for yours. If you get time maybe you could post it.

Thanks

Thanks,

I did the ham like that one year and it was lovely, but... my mum didnt like it. must do it again some weekend.

I make a salmon and prawn cake and its yum. Would love to see the "how to" for yours. If you get time maybe you could post it.

Thanks

Salmon
    grated ginger
    scallions
    lime zest

chop up the salmon as fine as you can and add the lime zest, ginger and seasoning.

Cut the scallions finely and soften in a pan for 2 min, then take out and add to the salmon mix.

Shape the mix into patties and cook on the pan for a bout 4 mins on each side ( i use a griddle pan ).

Leave to rest for a min or 2 and then tuck in !!!!

I'll throw up the sweet chilli recipe if anyone wants it.

Salmon
    grated ginger
    scallions
    lime zest

chop up the salmon as fine as you can and add the lime zest, ginger and seasoning.

Cut the scallions finely and soften in a pan for 2 min, then take out and add to the salmon mix.

Shape the mix into patties and cook on the pan for a bout 4 mins on each side ( i use a griddle pan ).

Leave to rest for a min or 2 and then tuck in !!!!

I'll throw up the sweet chilli recipe if anyone wants it.

The salmon and prawn one is salmon,prawns, lemon juice and rind, corriander, chilli, spring onion and pepper chucked in the magic mix and blitzed, shaed into patties and chucked on the pan. Yum!!!

Would love your sweet chilli recipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

What's sausage stuffing? It sounds intriguing! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can I come to your for dinner elvis jones? I;m allergic to Chili, mind but I am not allergic to anything else on your menu!:D

Your menu sounds amazing.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    What's sausage stuffing? It sounds intriguing! :P

The stuffing is just stuffing made with some sausage meat.

I use

Seasuge meat
    Bread crumbs
    Fresh parsley
    Onion
    Butter

I fry the onions on the pan with lots of butter.

I then add the seasuge meat, crumbs, chopped parsely, along with the onion and lots of melted butter..................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

What are you having for your Christmas dinner?

I don't like turkey at all i find it very dry so me and the girlfriend are having steak. A nice bit of rib eye steak, roast potatoes, mash all the trimming nom nom nom. We don't get to eat steak to often, so Christmas day is the perfect excuse to splash out on a nice expensive cut of steak. Im looking forward to the dinner now more the the prezzies! I had it last year and it was the nicest Christmas dinner iv ever had. After all the visiting over Christmas and been offered turkey sandwiches every where you go its nice to have something different.

My friends say it not Christmas dinner without a turkey. What do you think? Would you rather a nice bit of roast, some lamb or even salmon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭joxers25

We cooked our Ham in Coke last year was delicious!!!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5699489_slow-cook-ham-coke.html

joxers25 wrote: »
    We cooked our Ham in Coke last year was delicious!!!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5699489_slow-cook-ham-coke.html

I'm using orange juice as i use marmalade later when baking it so i am keeping the orange theme going all along !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I did my practise ham the day before yesterday and used your recipe as a base. I boiled it in oj and water, then made a reduction with about 500ml of oj, honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon, to brush onto the ham in the oven.

I didn't taste it myself but my husband said it was nice and moist, and (I am suprised to say) the flavour was subtle. I would have never thought to use anything but honey/cloves!

So thank you very much for my new "christmas ham" recipe. :)

Advertisement