Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americanization of spelling and terminology

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Down with Movie Theatres, Shopping Malls, gas, trash, candy, potato chips (crisps), math, & elevators...

Save our Cinemas, Shopping centres, petrol, rubbish, sweets, crisps, maths, & lifts.

....and keep our fannys where they've always been, at the front. Americans sit on their fanny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Das Reich wrote: »
    Hispanic and latino are the worst. A word for the Castillan side of Iberia and another for a Italo-Celtic tribe that migrated from Central Europe to Latium are used to describe people with Amerindian ancestry. Was told few times by North Americans that I don't look hispanic or latino despite being 89% South European according to 23andme, with the closest modern genetic group to me being Northern Italians.
    FVP3 wrote: »
    Well South Americans arent fully Amerindian but your point is well taken.

Both Hispanic and Latino are moronic terms for ethnicity. South and central America are diverse ethnically. Culturally there is a spanish influence of course.

As for latino as a identifier, it excludes Italians. I kid you not.

Latino (English word) isn't the same as Latino (Spanish/Portuguese/Italian word). Latino (Spanish/Portuguese/Italian) can either mean Latin or Latino (English). Latin means a native or inhabitant of Latium or a Romance-speaking country. Latino (English) is someone of Latin American origin. Latin American (noun) means a native or inhabitant of Latin America or as an adjective it means of or relating to Latin America. Latin America means the parts of the American continent where Spanish or Portuguese are the main national languages.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

SANITIZER! It's everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Which one? The one I was forced to learn at school that I don't use?

Catch yourself on, would ya. That's disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

764dak wrote: »
    Latino (American English word) isn't the same as Latino (Spanish/Portuguese/Italian word). Latino (Spanish/Portuguese/Italian) can either mean Latin or Latino (English). Latin means a native or inhabitant of Latium or a Romance-speaking country. Latino (American English) is someone of Latin American origin. Latin American (noun) means a native or inhabitant of Latin America or as an adjective it means of or relating to Latin America. Latin America means the parts of the American continent where Spanish or Portuguese are the main national languages.

It is that American use of the language I am disputing. Which is the nature of the thread. That use of Latin is also specifically American as in British english you can call the French and Italians Latin.

The US has moved away from Latino which is gendered ( not surprising since Spanish is a highly gendered language) to LatinX which hurts everybody's ears. The gender neutral term would be Latin, presumably they aren't using that because it conflicts with the British English version.

• Advertisement

It is that American use of the language I am disputing. Which is the nature of the thread. That use of Latin is also specifically American as in British english you can call the French and Italians Latin.
    American English use of Latin is the same as British use. Latino isn't the same as Latin. Latino means Latin American. Etymology:
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/Latino#etymonline_v_2103
    Latino

"male Latin-American inhabitant of the United States" (fem. Latina), 1946, American English, from American Spanish, a shortening of Latinoamericano "Latin-American" (see Latin America). As an adjective, attested from 1974.
    Latino was intended to differ from Latin from the start.
    The US has moved away from Latino which is gendered ( not surprising since Spanish is a highly gendered language) to LatinX which hurts everybody's ears.The gender neutral term would be Latin, presumably they aren't using that because it conflicts with the British English version.
    Technically, the gender-neutral term would be Latin American.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Chorcai wrote: »
    SANITIZER! It's everywhere!

That's because there is a pandemic!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

theteal wrote: »
    I get you OP, I work with Cisco equipment and quite regularly have to type the word "neighbor". . . .the baxtards!

Also, "Mom" is a Cork thing

I am born and bred in Cork County in a large urban town and we use the word 'Mam' not 'Mom'.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

dotsman wrote: »
    Guys, it is pretty simple. For as far back as anybody can remember:

Mom- for normal/Munster people.
    Ma - for Dublin skangers
    Mam/Mammy - for boggers
    Mum/Mummy - for prods or people with illusions (especially if said with posh pre-pubescent english boy accent)

I am in Cork, I'm not a "bogger" ...and we say Mam, as far back as anyone can remember! So, is it a certain part of Cork that uses the word Mom? I always thought 'Mom' was an Americanisation or people trying to be posh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I am born and bred in Cork County
    I'm not a "bogger"

Slight contradiction there!

• Advertisement

Did anyone do chemistry at school after the new course came in sometime in the 00's?

All of the textbooks and study guides were written in American English. We had "mandatory" experiments and we learned about the "color" of "sulfur" and the chemical properties of "aluminum".

Apparently it was assumed that if you were interested in Chemistry, you'd probably want to go and work for an American MNC, and they didn't want us looking illiterate. I still struggle to remember whether it's litre or liter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Did anyone do chemistry at school after the new course came in sometime in the 00's?

All of the textbooks and study guides were written in American English. We had "mandatory" experiments and we learned about the "color" of "sulfur" and the chemical properties of "aluminum".

Apparently it was assumed that if you were interested in Chemistry, you'd probably want to go and work for an American MNC, and they didn't want us looking illiterate. I still struggle to remember whether it's litre or liter.

Americans don't use liters or liters :D

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Americans don't use liters or liters :D
    Ah they do. Maybe not in the kitchen, but it's the standard unit for volume, so nobody has to be fiddling around with cups and pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Ah they do. Maybe not in the kitchen, but it's the standard unit for volume, so nobody has to be fiddling around with cups and pints.

Wikipedia has a whole page on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units, but I wouldn't suggest scientists use old imperial measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭8mv

Not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread but I noticed at least two posts earlier today on Boards where the poster was "calling BS" on something or other. So I did a search and found to my horror that this is running rampant through the site. When, why and how
    did this new imported American ****e take hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I am in Cork, I'm not a "bogger" ...and we say Mam, as far back as anyone can remember! So, is it a certain part of Cork that uses the word Mom? I always thought 'Mom' was an Americanisation or people trying to be posh?

You ARE a bogger and to cement that fact you come from Cork, home to the Boggeragh Mountains. You live up one of them...ADMIT IT! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Staycation.

Aluminum is an abomination. Some tit decided to change the emphasis on the 2nd rather than 3rd syllable and realised that pronouncing the i was then rather difficult so just discarded it.

And it's litre no liter. They are all derived from French....theatre, not theater, etc.

The distance measurement is METRE but the device to measure something is METER if I'm not mistaken, e.g. THERMOMETER. TACHOMETER, OPISOMETER.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Some white dudes think it's cool to hang with people of color to show how inclusive they are...this could happen at ballgames , in nite clubs or on vacation. Ain't gonna happen much round my neighborhood though . You do the math man and go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Irish people use my ma, or mother, if they use the word mom it's a joke. Of course some people use Internet slang like LOL and WTF,
    so many websites are based in America,
    they influence anyone that reads them in any country. I hope we do not switch over to American spelling of words. There's no malls in Ireland, Americans use feet no metres. Miles not km. Many news websites block EU users as they do not want to follow the terms on Gdpr.
    And there's rural slang, and dublin slang.
    Many Irish and UK programs are shown in America with subtitles as they may not understand regional accents even though we speak English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

American dates are worse. Many people in my work do it as they have worked for American companies in the past. It drives me mad... I don't know what date that is now. So so stupid.

Like Stewart Lee used to say when people talked about how 9-11 changed America 'why, what happened on the 9th of November?' :pac:

Aluminum is an abomination. Some tit decided to change the emphasis on the 2nd rather than 3rd syllable and realised that pronouncing the i was then rather difficult so just discarded it.

Sir Humphrey Davy discovered and named the metal. Aluminum is a slightly older spelling of aluminium.

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/06/aluminum-vs-aluminium.html
    In 1808 Sir Humphry Davy, the British chemist who discovered the metal, named it “alumium.” With just one “i” and an “ium” ending, it straddled the two competing versions we have today.

Four years later, however, Davy changed his mind and gave the metal the name “aluminum” (yup, the one-“i” American version). In his book Elements of Chemical Philosophy, published in 1812, Davy wrote, “As yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state. “

But later that same year other scientists decided “aluminum” didn’t sound sufficiently Latin, so they began calling it “aluminium.” Here’s a quote from the Quarterly Review: “Aluminium, for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The yanks say miss-sill for missile.
    Then by rights they should also say 'who left this pill of clothes on the floor?' and 'I'm so tired, I went on a 5 mill run this morning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Flavoursome is becoming flavourful (only a matter of time before we lose the o in flavour).

Buns have become cupcakes.

I'm old enough to remember when it was a new series of a telly programme, not a new season.

Announcing date as July 24th (other dates are available).

An "assist" is something in sport. A golfer who hits a good shot is told "great golf shot".

I've even heard the odd cnut call Autumn "Fall"

The way they pronounce Solder as sawder.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Mom is usually used or was used by posh folk or folk who wanted to sound posh. Now it's used by lots of young folk. Drives me mad. Anyone who is not American who uses "fall" instead of Autumn deserves beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Duplicate post.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Wikipedia has a whole page on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units, but I wouldn't suggest scientists use old imperial measures.

If I'm not mistaken a bunch of Americans in consort with others around the world built some kind of drone or satellite or something. The Americans did their "math" in imperial units and the project crashed costing a few million because of their retarded calculations.

Usual American "We know best" Horsesh1t.

Yeah..this is the one:

https://www.simscale.com/blog/2017/12/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/

I studied Engineering in University and the SI units are metric, volume, speed, distance, weight, temperature, the lot.

These dopes tried to calibrate metric into ridiculous measurements and fcuked it all up.

They'd still be at hogheads, cubits, dynes and roods if they could get away with it.

A "gallon" of ice-cream? Effing hell!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How international is the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry ?
    https://iupac.org/what-we-do/periodic-table-of-elements/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I’ve noticed on iPhones and other platforms now it always tries to autocorrect centre to center and tyres to tires.

Colour to color, realise to realize.

F*ck off America.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If I'm not mistaken a bunch of Americans in consort with others around the world built some kind of drone or satellite or something. The Americans did their "math" in imperial units and the project crashed costing a few million because of their retarded calculations.
    Just like the Hubble Space telescope NASA told the contractor what to do, but didn't check they actually did it.

The US military has been using Klicks* since forever

Metric units are defined. Imperial units changed over time. In the USA a foot depends on the date.

On US maps heights are measured in different sized feet :confused:

*Kilometers.

Advertisement