Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost my NCB ???

Options
  • 24-05-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

So, I've been driving 20 years, own car for the first 17 of those. 
    1 provisional, no accidents - no points. Clean as you like.

I've also been a named driver on my partner/wife's car for that entire period, as she has been on mine.

Three years ago I sold my car as I was commuting to/from work Mon-Fri on the train.
    I allowed my insurance to expire, but remained a named driver on my wife's car.

Now, I'm changing jobs and looking to get a car again. 
    However, it seems that I'm going to forfeit my NCB was I have an interrupted period of insurance.
    The couple of queries I've made have indicated that I'll lose the bonus.

But afaik, I didn't interrupt the insurance. I've been insured (either in my own right, or named) since 1998. I've been driving my wife's car during the last three years on her insurance, so that's got to be worth something....

Any thoughts ???? 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 112 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Lisa K

Hi Muttley_666, you no claims bonus is only valid for a period of 2 years, so it would have expired now. But you should have earned a named driving experience discount for each full year that you have been named on your wife’s policy. Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Muttley_666

Hi Muttley_666, you no claims bonus is only valid for a period of 2 years, so it would have expired now. But you should have earned a named driving experience discount for each full year that you have been named on your wife’s policy. Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

Sorry for the delay in replying - if I was to look to another provided for insurance, do I need to get a cert or a declaration from the current insurer to say I'm on my wife's policy ??

Thanks....

• Company Representative Posts: 112 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Lisa K

Yes, any insurer will look for a letter to confirm your named driving discount. Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I would also suggest ringing around, especially brokers, as many will be able to recognize your original NCB since as you logically point out, have continued to drive without a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Muttley_666

Hi there. I did chase around a bit on this - astonishing to see the difference in quotes between different companies. Some wouldn't quote me at all, some gave me prices up to 400% dearer than the one I took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DannyLeg

Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I find this entirely ridiculous and shows how corrupt these insurance companies are. OP's NCB didn't just up and disappear 

I'm in a similar position and drive a company vehicle but I new about this scam they pull so I retain a policy on a second car that is used maybe 5 times a year. It's a terrible waste of money and thankfully the renewals have been low. 

I definitely think this scam is something that should be looked into although who do you report insurance companies to? 

Advertisement