Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rage incident learner driver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Someone who is that inexperienced should really be in a driving school car with a professional instructor, for their own sake. No excuses though for the other driver's behaviour.

Days of any randomer with a full licence teaching people how to drive are gone. That's what the minimum number of lessons is for.

Yes what every thread needs, victim blaming.

A professional instructor makes no different to this situation. Learners stall. Even an experienced driver can stall, and sometimes if the car has problem it will stall.

The only problem in this thread is the road rage driver. There's no rational reason to defend that behaviour and blame the victim. If your can't control your impatience and anger you shouldn't be driving. End of..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

buy an automatic. seriously, i have no idea why people would buy a manual car now, like every car will be automatic in ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

beauf wrote: »

A professional instructor makes no different to this situation. Learners stall. Even an experienced driver can stall, and sometimes if the car has problem it will stall.

The only problem in this thread is the road rage driver. There's no rational reason to defend that behaviour and blame the victim. If your can't control your impatience and anger you shouldn't be driving. End of..

Not Everyone stalls, but a lot of people do and that’s fine. In this instance it happened twice and that’s down to the driver.

There isn’t a victim here to be blaming, there is somebody whose lack of experience behind the wheel has come in contact with a lack of patience behind another wheel.

If the OP doesn’t want it to happen again then they can only control what is within their ability to control, and that equates to being a better driver. Learning to predict lights, when first at traffic lights watching to be sure they are anticipating as early as possible and Getting the biting point on the pedals to take off correctly.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    buy an automatic. seriously, i have no idea why people would buy a manual car now, like every car will be automatic in ten years.

I hate automatics.
    Everyone should be able to drive both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

I don't know why people buy cars that require humans to drive them, like every car will be self driving in ten years.

• Advertisement

Not Everyone stalls, but a lot of people do and that’s fine. In this instance it happened twice and that’s down to the driver.

There isn’t a victim here to be blaming, there is somebody whose lack of experience behind the wheel has come in contact with a lack of patience behind another wheel.

If the OP doesn’t want it to happen again then they can only control what is within their ability to control, and that equates to being a better driver. Learning to predict lights, when first at traffic lights watching to be sure they are anticipating as early as possible and Getting the biting point on the pedals to take off correctly.

Getting out of your car trying someone's door handle and threating physical violence is not "lack of patience".

So not everyone stalls. In their entire history of driving manual cars and learning they've never stalled not even once. Really?

Yes it is victim blaming. It doesn't even have to be a stall. Cars break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Someone who is that inexperienced should really be in a driving school car with a professional instructor, for their own sake. No excuses though for the other driver's behaviour.

Days of any randomer with a full licence teaching people how to drive are gone. That's what the minimum number of lessons is for.

I dont agree with this at all, having taught quite a few people to drive, one as recently as last year. Proper lessons are important of course, but what is equally important is consolidating what has been taught to the learner in their lessons with practice on the road, and that means just getting out there and doing it.

Drivers being d*cks to obvious learners absolutely amazes me.... Like did none of these people ever learn themselves?

The last person I taught was quite competent - just lacking in the confidence department. The cure for that is regular driving under supervision. But they regularly got flustered under pressure and stalled the car - often at a roundabout. It's a tiny car with big L plates on it, clearly a learner, yet still you would have guys(and yes it almost always was guys) going mental on the horn and dangerously overtaking. A-holes :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Automatics are for geeks and weaks

I don't know why people buy cars that require humans to drive them, like every car will be self driving in ten years.

What car can you buy that doesn't require a human to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Agree with everyone that this is totally unacceptable behaviour.
    However I think there is also a lot to be said for learners truly mastering the basic mechanical functions of driving in an empty car park or other safe space before taking to the roads.

It will increase confidence when all the starting, stopping, gear changes etc are already second nature & leave the learner in a better position to deal with everything else on the road.

• Advertisement

Getting out of your car trying someone's door handle and threating physical violence is not "lack of patience".

So not everyone stalls. In their entire history of driving manual cars and learning they've never stalled not even once. Really?

Yes it is victim blaming. It doesn't even have to be a stall. Cars break down.

The first person to get out of the car was as much at fault. Nobody should get out of their car in a situation like this.

The way this could have been avoided was by being a better driver, that doesn’t excuse the person behind not being patient, but it avoids it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The OP should report this incident to the Guards.

as a Tesla owner, i concur

The first person to get out of the car was as much at fault. Nobody should get out of their car in a situation like this.

The way this could have been avoided was by being a better driver, that doesn’t excuse the person behind not being patient, but it avoids it happening again.

There issue here is not stalling. Car could have a failure to cause it to stall.

The issue is road rage.

What you're implying here is that learner drivers should not hold up other drivers. Indeed any driver should not have to wait because of an issue with the car in front.

Are people here that impatient that they are unable to deal with a minute or two delay while an obstruction clears. Wow. Speaks volumes.

as a Tesla owner, i concur

A Telsa isn't self driving. I can't tell one to pick me up from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Professional instructor probably wouldn't have gotten out of the car and inflamed the situation further. Not really victim blaming as the OP isn't responsible for her other half's behaviour. It's not victim blaming to state the obvious, he shouldn't have gotten out of the car (that's what L plates are for), other guy shouldn't have gone berserk.

There issue here is not stalling. Car could have a failure to cause it to stall.

The issue is road rage.

What you're implying here is that learner drivers should not hold up other drivers. Indeed any driver should not have to wait because of an issue with the car in front.

Are people here that impatient that they are unable to deal with a minute or two delay while an obstruction clears. Wow. Speaks volumes.

It could have but it didn’t. It stalled twice because of the driver.

The first person to get out of the car was the OP’s passenger. That added to the situation unnecessarily and can be viewed as the initial instance of road rage.

I’m not implying that learner drivers shouldn’t hold up other drivers, I’m saying the best thing the OP can do to ensure this doesn’t happen again is get better at driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The OP should report this incident to the Guards.

That would be foolish, as their passenger was the first to get out of the car and their actions can be seen as threatening to the other driver.

Best bet is to admit their own failings and work on them to avoid this situation happening again.

air wrote: »
    Agree with everyone that this is totally unacceptable behaviour.
    However I think there is also a lot to be said for learners truly mastering the basic mechanical functions of driving in an empty car park or other safe space before taking to the roads.

It will increase confidence when all the starting, stopping, gear changes etc are already second nature & leave the learner in a better position to deal with everything else on the road.

Let me know when you find some private property that allows unlimited amount of learner drivers to practise on it.

• Advertisement

A Telsa isn't self driving. I can't tell one to pick me up from the pub.

well the software/hardware and technology is there, its just a matter of legislation, which will take years obviously.

Let me know when you find some private property that allows unlimited amount of learner drivers to practise on it.

No shortage of industrial estates, car parks, quiet roads housing estates and other places where people can practice, but you know that and your just being unnecessarily argumentative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Jesus, this thread descended very quickly. Just waiting for the name calling to start....

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

well the software/hardware and technology is there, its just a matter of legislation, which will take years obviously.

Someone said they didn't understand why people don't buy self driving cars. There isn't one you can buy today. That's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Jesus, this thread descended very quickly. Just waiting for the name calling to start....

It’s called alternative opinions, ye banana

No shortage of industrial estates, car parks, quiet roads housing estates and other places where people can practice, but you know that and your just being unnecessarily argumentative.

Some one said to find a safe place. Which basically implies you won't meet another car, and potential delay someone for a few secs.

Where of all these places you've listed will you not 100% meet another car.

begbysback wrote: »
    It’s called alternative opinions, ye banana

Now there's a slippery slope...

It could have but it didn’t. It stalled twice because of the driver.

The first person to get out of the car was the OP’s passenger. That added to the situation unnecessarily and can be viewed as the initial instance of road rage.

I’m not implying that learner drivers shouldn’t hold up other drivers, I’m saying the best thing the OP can do to ensure this doesn’t happen again is get better at driving.

So no one should ever stall or get out of their car, for fear of physical violence.

Is that really how we want to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

You are so on point. It’s a common occurrence in today’s world to deflect from the actual topic and twist the story around. No excuse for that type of behavior under any circumstances. Well said.

• Advertisement

I will add that i agree you shouldn't get out of the car either. But thats because of self protection and it might trigger some unstable person into violence. Also it can be used against you.

But that, that is the reality is poor reflection on society.

Advertisement