Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1314287076452569094[/quote]

Only took them 4 years to catch this guy. Great policing.

Seriously though shows the distinct lack of checkpoints and enforcement in this country.

People drive with no tax, insurance, drink drive, use bus lanes at rush hour etc because for the most part they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

And the tax is easiest of all to enforce using ANPR with automatic fines. No integration with insurance companies, no checking of licenses.

Makes me wonder why I'm bothering paying taxes is they don't bother catching people who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Damien360

And the tax is easiest of all to enforce using ANPR with automatic fines. No integration with insurance companies, no checking of licenses.

Makes me wonder why I'm bothering paying taxes is they don't bother catching people who don't.

Why don’t we do the same as NI. I have seen an automatic camera from the back of a police car on a roundabout exiting Tesco in NI. No stops, just automated fines for having no tax. All done against car registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭sundodger5

you would have to be blind to not know there was a problem with that tyre. the outside edge looks nearly as worn as the inside edge.

Not condoning the tyre as it does need changing but both the inside and outside can be bald. The measurement is at least 1.6 mm on the centre 3/4s of the tread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

what the feck has that lorry driver been driving in - Alien Spit ?

im laughing that they even put a gauage on it , its like putting a blood pressure monitor on a skeleton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Not condoning the tyre as it does need changing but both the inside and outside can be bald. The measurement is at least 1.6 mm on the centre 3/4s of the tread.

it doesnt have that either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The pictures of the lorry tyres are from a tractor trailer, i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Damien360

1.6mm is too low. Yes it’s the legal limit but it needs to be brought up to 3mm.

The gardai change tyres at 3mm (I have this from a Garda and their supplier Dunlop at the time) for safety reasons.

Leaseplan cars change tyres at 2mm and for me in the wet, the car is not planted correctly at 2mm.

We live in a country in which it rains more days than it’s sunny. The summer tyre 1.6mm limit is not a specification for ireland, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

checkpoints all over the shop and these knuckleheads still venture out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Damien360 wrote: »
    1.6mm is too low. Yes it’s the legal limit but it needs to be brought up to 3mm.

The gardai change tyres at 3mm (I have this from a Garda and their supplier Dunlop at the time) for safety reasons.

Leaseplan cars change tyres at 2mm and for me in the wet, the car is not planted correctly at 2mm.

We live in a country in which it rains more days than it’s sunny. The summer tyre 1.6mm limit is not a specification for ireland, in my opinion.

They change at 3mm, because that's what's recommended by the car and tyre manufacturers.

It came to light after a fatal on the quays involving a Garda car and a woman at the bus stop.
    Since then tyres on a Garda car are to be replaced at 3mm, as that's what ford and Dunlop recommend for the Mondeos.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mikeecho wrote: »
    They change at 3mm, because that's what's recommended by the car and tyre manufacturers.

It came to light after a fatal on the quays involving a Garda car and a woman at the bus stop.
    Since then tyres on a Garda car are to be replaced at 3mm, as that's what ford and Dunlop recommend for the Mondeos.

That was at clonskeagh hospital, she came around the bend too hot, took bus shelter and all.
    That car is still at Donnybrook

Garda vehicles should have the best tyres fitted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

That was at clonskeagh hospital, she came around the bend too hot, took bus shelter and all.
    That car is still at Donnybrook

Garda vehicles should have the best tyres fitted anyway.

They have brand name tyres fitted. No cheapos as far as I know.

Had that car gone into a tyre centre it wouldn't have left with a worn tyre on it. Tyre centres are there to make money. Why wouldn't they put a tyre on? The blame in that crash was on the driver.

Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Has anyone been traveling on the N7 from Nass towards Tallaght around the hours of 6pm to 7pm?

Has there been any checkpoints going that direction around those hours? Or are all the checkpoints going out of Dublin?

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Has anyone been traveling on the N7 from Nass towards Tallaght around the hours of 6pm to 7pm?

Has there been any checkpoints going that direction around those hours? Or are all the checkpoints going out of Dublin?

Regardless of covid checkpoints the M/N7 gets a lot of garda attention. You should pretty much expect them to be on it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Beltby wrote: »
    They have brand name tyres fitted. No cheapos as far as I know.

Had that car gone into a tyre centre it wouldn't have left with a worn tyre on it. Tyre centres are there to make money. Why wouldn't they put a tyre on? The blame in that crash was on the driver.

A tyre centre I get tyres from, supplies the Gardai, they have a separate tyre rack with tyres for the squad cars, all Michelin, Goodyear, and Bridgestone

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Is it me or do serious amount of people seem to be testing positive for cocaine while driving nowadays, the frequency with which they seem to be getting caught suggests to me that Cocaine is a much bigger problem in this country than people realise. Bloody hell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is it me or do serious amount of people seem to be testing positive for cocaine while driving nowadays, the frequency with which they seem to be getting caught suggests to me that Cocaine is a much bigger problem in this country than people realise. Bloody hell

More checkpoints = more detections I'd imagine.

The truly sobering thought is even in these strange times where the chance of getting caught doing something wrong whilst driving is so much higher, hordes of motorists continue to do so whilst uninsured, banned, drunk or high.

Advertisement