Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to yoga

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've just started yoga classes and am really enjoying them.

The problem I have is that I want to lose weight and tone up, and I know I should be doing lots of cardio for this, but with working and going to yoga classes in the evening I wouldn't really have time for the gym too.

I was wondering what you think I could expect to gain from yoga after maybe 6 months, I'm not impatient, I just don't want to spend months waiting for some results that never come?

IE. Do you find that it improves strength and muscle tone? This is my main concern!

EDIT: I'm obviously only in beginners classes at the moment!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I use a combination of cardio, weights and yoga to keep my weight down. Yoga on its own will definitely strengthen everywhere and improve balance, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

Hi Frutti Tutti,

This is kind of a tricky one. I think to lose weight and tone up you might like to look at the stickies in the fitness forum for tips. I found some good ones in there.

I think that yes, yoga will increase your strength, but as for muscle tone, I suppose that depends on whether you have some extra weight on that might hide it, I know I have in some areas.

As for how long it'll take to see results, you don't say how many classes you're taking, but if it's just one hour a week, I don't think it'll make a huge difference without complementary lifestyle changes. For example I started doing yoga, and on the days I'd have class I'd eat light and avoid booze and junk so class would go well for me.

I have lost weight and toned up since I started yoga, but it's probably the result of all the other things yoga inspired me to do, like eating less of certain foods and then deciding to walk to work, etc.

I would say if you're wondering about improvement, to look at how much better you've already gotten at poses you found tough at first. For me it was plank pose and chatturanga, which I now love.

All the best

Advertisement