Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifier dimensions

Options
  • 06-07-2020 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am getting a unit built in my sitting room for tv electric stove etc. I have a socket in wall for amplifier for 5.1 surround sound preferably to go in the unit between my tv and electric stove. How much space or what dimensions would a standard amplifier unit need? I want to know in order to check if i have enough space between TV and electric stove to allow space for the amplifier to in between them or not.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

As an example, a Denon X2600 has dimension WxDxH of 434 x 329 x 167 (https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204145-denon-avrx2600-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx ) .

I’d recommend that you allow some space at each side ( not much, maybe 10mm each side ) but more in terms of height (maybe 75 - 100mm ) to allow sufficient airflow for cooling - AVRs can run hot and having one completely enclosed is not a good idea . Because the HDMI cables, other connectors and speaker wires add to the dimensions in terms of depth, it’s worth leaving plenty of room at the back of the unit ( about 100mm or an open back ) to leave space for them - for example, for the Denon above, I’d be allowing about 450mm in depth.

If you had an amp in mind, it would be worth checking the user manual ( all user manuals are available online - just google the full model number) and check what it says about space around the amp. If it says nothing, then I’d still allow The kind of space mentioned above as a reasonable approach.

If you go for an amp which is not so deep, ( entry level amps can be about 300mm deep) - try to allow the full depth in your unit - you upgrade/replace in the future (and you will....) you don’t want to find that your amp won’t fit and you’re stuck !

Last point - you say you’re putting the amp “ preferably to go in the unit between my tv and electric stove.” - I wouldn’t recommend putting an amp over a heat source - it means that the supposed “cooling air” will actually be hot to begin with - maybe I’ve mistaken your intention, but I would definitely not take that approach.

HTH,

Ritz.

Advertisement