Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with house rewire

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

katie275 wrote: »
    Also, he is a registered electrician

Hold on, the electrician that you employed is a registered electrical contractor? If so that changes everything, please confirm.

If this is the case it would mean that you are in a much stronger position and can get a proper competition certificate and the REC can be held accountable. The fact that a bit of a tax dodge may have occurred is neither here nor there in terms of enforcing electrical standards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Regarding the pictures in the 1st post, in my opinion:

Photo #1 - Unacceptable regardless of whether the ceiling joist is of structural significance or not. I would want the joist properly repaired and the light moved.

Photo #2 - Looks a bit shoddy. However I don't see anything dangerous.

Photo #3 - This would be the least of my worries. As already stated he was avoiding the item above the new switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Regarding the pictures in the 1st post, in my opinion:

Photo #1 - Unacceptable regardless of whether the ceiling joist is of structural significance or not. I would want the joist properly repaired and the light moved.

We can't be absolutely certain of what it's for though. Just as an example, if it was originally just a ground for a pendant, it's serving no function if pendant is removed.

That's the thing with single photos of an installation, assumptions are made.

Bruthal wrote: »
    We can't be absolutely certain of what it's for though.

It looks like a joist and the OP refers to it a a joist...

It looks like a joist and the OP refers to it a a joist...
    Still assumptions though, that it looks like a joist. And that the op is accurately describing what they see.

To me it looks like a flat piece of wood put in as a ground for a light. Looks about 20mm thick at most.

But that's not my point. Point was assumptions are being used to claim someone is a cowboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I am no electrician but that work looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I don't agree that the diagonal run is acceptable. It patently isn't. If a switch etc. needed to be avoided then other wiring methods should have been employed, for example earthed steel conduit. There isn't any excuse for what wad done. Second picture is messy but doesn't seem dangerous. First one is appalling.

With respect, if he is a full-time lecturer then he won't be a REC. That wouldn't remotely make sense.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    First one is appalling.

Doesn't look great. But if it was existing pendant fitting and a ground to support it, it wouldnt be serving much purpose. But if just drilled through it blindly, not good.
    Fitting itself not great either.

Not that I know what's going on there.

If that's a joist, get the carpenter back.

Point was assumptions are being used to claim someone is a cowboy.

Very true.

It would be interesting to have it confirmed whether it is a REC or not.
    Certainly sounds like it is a REC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Point was assumptions are being used to claim someone is a cowboy.

Very true.

It would be interesting to have it confirmed whether it is a REC or not.
    Certainly sounds like it is a REC.
    Sounds to me that it's not a REC. We were told that the person in question is a full-time lecturer.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Sounds to me that it's not a REC.

In this post the OP suggests otherwise:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110696931&postcount=24

It is possible to be an instructor and a REC at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Thanks for the feedback all.
    Just an update and clarifying some points here
    The hole was drilled through the ceiling joist to install spot lights in the kitchen, he had intended to ‘sister’ the joint and forgot, he was extremely apologetic and is coming out tomorrow to rectify this
    He assures the cables in the closet are safe, to quote he ‘could do chin ups on those’ but he’s going to hide them / box them in
    When I challenged him about the horizontal chase he said it was because he had to chase that way after performing a metal detection test, still not convinced on that one but it’s done now
    We are going to get the work certified

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did he explain why he put the light in that position in the first photo? Seems odd to go to the extra effort of having to cut the joist.

The hole was drilled through the ceiling joist to install spot lights in the kitchen, he had intended to ‘sister’ the joint and forgot, he was extremely apologetic and is coming out tomorrow to rectify this

Fair enough.
    He assures the cables in the closet are safe

I would believe him.
    When I challenged him about the horizontal chase he said it was because he had to chase that way after performing a metal detection test, still not convinced on that one but it’s done now

As I said, I wouldn't be particularly worried in this instance.
    We are going to get the work certified

How? Is the electrician a registered electrical contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Still assumptions though, that it looks like a joist. And that the op is accurately describing what they see.

To me it looks like a flat piece of wood put in as a ground for a light. Looks about 20mm thick at most.

But that's not my point. Point was assumptions are being used to claim someone is a cowboy.

This post is nonsense

This post is nonsense

Possibly. I'm just not as perfect in UK English as one or 2 others here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Possibly. But it would in some cases be easy for someone to take pics of a half finished job and claim anything they want.

What length width and depth is the joist in that photo?

Not possibly it was a non-sensical post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

after performing a metal detection test,

That'd be the metal telephone socket just above it ?

:p

Did he put "Metal Detection Test" on the invoice ?

One way was remove to the phone socket & its wiring and run the conduit for light switch up in a straightish line vertically like a civilised human

Mod note:

Thread cleaned up.
    To avoid further derailing this thread the discussion on testing and verification is continued here.

Advertisement