Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can I tell it if I can get planning?

Options
  • 16-08-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I've got a house which is on the end of the street and the road follows around the corner (different name). I've got a back garden (side of house is roughly 10mx2 and back garden is roughly 75m2(with rear gates leading onto the street). Across the road on both roads are houses.

My house is detached fairly small (1000sq) so is not suitable for my parents and children to live in. They will soon be without a home so I'm faced with either selling off and moving out of Dublin (or finding somewhere to rent which seems impossible) and buying a house for them out in the sticks which can still be commutable.

I cannot seem to get any concrete information about criteria a place would have to fulfill to get planning. I contacted the council (SDCC) who told me to check the website...which I have fairly extensively but its quite wishy washy)

Does anyone have a rough guide as to criteria that needs to be fulfilled to consider an application? Is there someone I should be reaching out to? Any recommendations?

Would really appreciate it thanks.

P.s apologies for spelling errors on an ancient phone which doesn't seem to have spell check!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Corb_lund wrote: »
    I've got a house which is on the end of the street and the road follows around the corner (different name). I've got a back garden (side of house is roughly 10mx2 and back garden is roughly 75m2(with rear gates leading onto the street). Across the road on both roads are houses.

My house is detached fairly small (1000sq) so is not suitable for my parents and children to live in. They will soon be without a home so I'm faced with either selling off and moving out of Dublin (or finding somewhere to rent which seems impossible) and buying a house for them out in the sticks which can still be commutable.

I cannot seem to get any concrete information about criteria a place would have to fulfill to get planning. I contacted the council (SDCC) who told me to check the website...which I have fairly extensively but its quite wishy washy)

Does anyone have a rough guide as to criteria that needs to be fulfilled to consider an application? Is there someone I should be reaching out to? Any recommendations?

P.s apologies for spelling errors on an ancient phone which doesn't seem to have spell check!

Are you suggesting an extension or a separate dwelling in the back garden?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What are you trying to do? Extend or create a new dwelling?
    I have done both in SDCC so the requirements will differ depending on your proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Hi thank you for your replies. I was looking at creating another dwelling at the back of the property. Preferably like current house.

I'm not sure if separate houses are allowed on the back of houses and what sort of space considerations there needs to be..

Thanks!

Hi thank you for your replies. I was looking at creating another dwelling at the back of the property. Preferably like current house.

I'm not sure if separate houses are allowed on the back of houses and what sort of space considerations there needs to be..

Thanks!

Employ a local planning agent to survey site and give opinion.
    There are minimum standards for infill housing and it can bary from council to council.

SDCC will not tell you if a house can be built, but they will allow you to stand a pre-planning meeting with the plannernonce you have the site surveyed and a rough proposal drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

kceire wrote: »
    ... but they will allow you to stand a pre-planning meeting with the plannernonce ...

Just don't bring the kids along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Employ a local planning agent to survey site and give opinion.
    There are minimum standards for infill housing and it can bary from council to council.

SDCC will not tell you if a house can be built, but they will allow you to stand a pre-planning meeting with the plannernonce you have the site surveyed and a rough proposal drawn up.

Hi would you have an example of who I could contact? I tried googling planning agent and didn't turn up much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hi would you have an example of who I could contact? I tried googling planning agent and didn't turn up much!

Try here.

https://www.ipi.ie/consultants

I don’t want to rain on your parade but even if the site is suitable (and it sound like it just might be) it will be an expensive proposition to actually build.

Thanks!

It will very much depend on access, can you post an aerial photo of the site? Others have referred to a planning agent, they are referring to a local architect or architectural technician who works in your area

JimmyMW wrote: »
    It will very much depend on access, can you post an aerial photo of the site? Others have referred to a planning agent, they are referring to a local architect or architectural technician who works in your area

This is it, it could be an architect, Engineer, Surveyor, Draughtsperson, Teacher, carpenter....Anybody that has enough planning knowledge and knows how to make planning applications and can get your application though the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

See here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

An extension that would house 2 or more people is likely to require planning permission.
    Theres rules as to where you can place windows close to boundary walls.
    You can look at extensions in the area .
    The plans need to be acceptable in terms of building regulations .
    Theres certain minimum heights and sizes for bedrooms etc
    I know of one house in a council estate they added on 3 extra bedrooms .
    They got got planning permission from the council
    They had 5 or 6 children.
    They simply made the existing house larger .
    Its the largest house on the estate in dublin 15 .
    It may be cheaper to just build onto the existing house,
    add another 3 bedrooms and maybe another bathroom ,
    rather than build a separate house with its own heating system.
    You,d need to get advice from an architect on this.

• Advertisement

Guys, I’ve viewed the site in question.
    Not a hope unfortunately.

Guys, I’ve viewed the site in question.
    Not a hope unfortunately.

Not unsurprising, sites suitable for infill housing are very rare. The best bet in this situation is probably a suitably designed extension.

Advertisement