Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Search for CI around 1880's

Options
  • 03-04-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,

I am looking to trace my grandfather birth records & family. I have searched using FMP, Ancestry, RootsIreland, Census, Civil Records. He was born approx between 1880 - 1890 based on his merchant navy records. Now I think his mother was a Protestant (we know our grandmother used to say his mother was a red headed Protestant from ballyhack !!) but don't know whether his father was Protestant or Catholic. I'm thinking they were both CI because if he was Catholic I think my grandfather would have to be baptised Catholic and I would find some record of him.

Anybody suggest best course of action for locating birth records for a protestant in Ballyhack in Wexford around late 1800's.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hi All,

I am looking to trace my grandfather birth records & family. I have searched using FMP, Ancestry, RootsIreland, Census, Civil Records. He was born approx between 1880 - 1890 based on his merchant navy records. Now I think his mother was a Protestant (we know our grandmother used to say his mother was a red headed Protestant from ballyhack !!) but don't know whether his father was Protestant or Catholic. I'm thinking they were both CI because if he was Catholic I think my grandfather would have to be baptised Catholic and I would find some record of him.

Anybody suggest best course of action for locating birth records for a protestant in Ballyhack in Wexford around late 1800's.

Thanks

Have you found him and his parents in the Irish census 1901 / 1911? This would record their religious persuasion.

He might be in the RC records, although the online ones generally finish about 1880.

Surviving Church of Ireland registers or transcripts generally are to be found in the RCB Library, Braemor Park, Churchtown, Dublin. ireland.anglican.org

PS Also check his birth civil record on Irish Genealogy, to find his expected date of birth. irishgenealogy.ie

[QUOTE=tabbey;106616395
    Surviving Church of Ireland registers or transcripts generally are to be found in the RCB Library, Braemor Park, Churchtown, Dublin. ireland.anglican.org
    [/QUOTE]

The Ballyhack area should be served by All Saint's church near Dunbrody, the RCBl list shows this included in Killesk parish records, but only up to 1875.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 my_ancestors

Hi Tabbey,

Thanks for reply. Found him in 1911 census married but no sign of him 1901. He was a sailor and spent most of his life travelling so lucky to even find him in the 1911. I have tracked a lot of his travelling but just no idea of who his parents were. We heard he ran away to sea at 15 and gave false ages till he was old enough to join merchant navy. His navy records show DOB ranging from 1880 -1886. His marriage cert records fathers name but can't find any birth records to match father.

Hi Tabbey,

Thanks for reply. Found him in 1911 census married but no sign of him 1901. He was a sailor and spent most of his life travelling so lucky to even find him in the 1911. I have tracked a lot of his travelling but just no idea of who his parents were. We heard he ran away to sea at 15 and gave false ages till he was old enough to join merchant navy. His navy records show DOB ranging from 1880 -1886. His marriage cert records fathers name but can't find any birth records to match father.

In 1911 did he complete his own census return or was it done by a ship's captain?

If it was his own return, what was his age and denomination?
    The age given in the census may be years out, but it should be more accurate than the age given running away to sea.

Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

<Anybody suggest best course of action for locating birth records for a protestant in Ballyhack in Wexford around late 1800's.>

I don't know why religion is important for finding the birth records as religion is not recorded on civil records. Have you searched Irishgenealogy.ie for his birth record? This will give his date of birth and parents' names. If he was born in the Wexford area it is likely he was registered in either New Ross or Waterford registration districts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement