Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds Sunday evening/night, Oct 5/6th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Should we have a level one or even a level two given the potential for tree damage and dirsuptions to morning commutes?

Would say level one west and level two east based more on what the infrastructure can withstand than any actual differences in wind speeds.

System is developing rather than moving in, so at this hour max wind gusts further west are only around 40 knots, gradient will tighten up when the front reaches Ireland tonight. Expect some peak gusts in the 57-62 knot range (40-45 at more sheltered inland stations).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

13.2C , raining on and off, light so far, 2.4mm since midnight here near Tralee.

Wind freshening slowly all day , 10 min avg 23 kph SE, gust 45kph

Bar 1001.9mb Falling Rapidly

I would agree plenty of loose debris and leaves on the roads in the morning blocking drains, council workers will be busy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

High tides overnight are timed for about 02-03h on the south coast and somewhat earlier (23h) around Dublin. Would say that the south coast high tides will probably peak early and run 0.5-0.8 metres above tide tables, east coast might peak late and run 0.3-0.6 metres above. Some minor coastal inundation is possible, although not a major storm surge. Wind direction is not conducive to much of a variation on the west coast, in fact, parts of Mayo could see a lower water level than usual at the low tides this evening. The moon is not full for three more days but it does reach perigee on Monday so the tidal range is running rather high by tonight.

I don't have access to ferry schedules but Rosslare could expect peak wind and offshore wave conditions around 0100h, Dublin to Holyhead crossing would see peak wind and waves around 0300h. Hopefully those times would not coincide with sailings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

winds picking up in the west.(Mayo)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Moderate to heavy rainfall now, 7.0mm ( rate 7mm/hr )

Wind 10 min avg 24 kph

12.2C

Bar 996.8mb Falling Rapidly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

So why is this thread so quiet ? Normally this close to a level 2 "event" there is loads of chatter about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

So why is this thread so quiet ? Normally this close to a level 2 "event" there is loads of chatter about it.

It hasn't really started yet

Edit: Power went for a minute there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

This storm sounds like its going to be really bad, like all ready said, leafs on the trees so could be a lot of damage, think I'll get my chain saw ready !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Good evening all!! heard rumours of a little breeze about to hit Ireland so thought I would come out of hibernation! How are all you good folks doing. Thanks for the link Irish1967, that will be a handy one for storm watch.

The charts look interesting and since I am making my way from North Leitrim to Cork at stupid o'clock in the morning, it promises to be an exciting night of weather watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gust of 48kts at Kinsale and Roaches point with winds increasing in general now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Power outage in Castletownbere. We'll probably be seeing a few of those tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Gust of 68km/h in the last hour in west Connemara

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

This evenings luton-knock flight is currently delayed and is expected at knock at 2205. will be nice and windy by then up at Knock!. one to keep an eye on later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 58km/h at my station in the last hour. An interesting night ahead.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Really picking up here (ennis for those of you on phones)
    Very gusty and very wet!

Had a lot of rain in Tralee the last few hours, 12.0mm atm

Wind picking up, 10 min avg 27 kph, gust 47 kph SE

Bar falling like a stone all day, 992.9mb ( down from 1017mb )

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

Evening all. Its definitely kicked off here in West cork, just spent the last 30 mins clearing a downpipe that hasnt seen water in weeks..."soaked" doesnt do justice to my current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

maiden wrote: »
    Really picking up here (ennis for those of you on phones)
    Very gusty and very wet!

Looks bad on the radar over Ennis right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Yup, very windy here in north cork now, rain battering against the windows, house shaking from the wind, hope it eases off soon, and power better not be gone for love hate at 9 30!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

72.42 km/h gust recorded just now at my station in the Maam Valley. Definitely getting it's act together here!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Hasn't hit Dublin yet.....:)

Thanks for those graphs, I get a feeling this storm is gonna be a bad one, not too bad yet here in Wexford. Just some rain and light wind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

thecivvie wrote: »
    Gust of 68km/h in the last hour in west Connemara
    just over 40mph!!! that wont do much damage to anything.

Raining, 13.6mm now

Wind picking up all the time, 10 min avg 35 kph, gust 55 kph

Temperature fairly steady all evening , 12.3C

Bar 991.4mb Falling Rapidly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Cork Flood Alerts just posted this:
    Flood: Douglas East, Main Street. Lots of surface water and excess water coming from the Main Street.

yep starting to get a bit rough now in wexford too, rain is now very heavy, and the wind is really starting to pick up, I can see that we are gonna get some power cuts, damm and blast

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Planet X wrote: »
    Hasn't hit Dublin yet.....:)
    :D

It has got very gusty here in North a Dublin in the last hour. Surprised it has picked up so much so early.

A bit windy here too in D15.

Really looking forward to tonights weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Lashing rain here in Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Light rain but getting windier in Terenure

Advertisement