Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

i'm flying bristol-dublin christmas eve at 6:30am, seriously worried about delays.

Sure check with your airline and daa.ie nearer the time

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Serious strong gusts here in Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Crazy intense squall just by Knock Airport at 5pm, very difficult to see the road with the wind and rain, several cars pulled in to let it pass, another 10 miles down the road all calm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

My gutters on one side of the house just attained lift off here!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Could bearly close my front door with the wind here in portlaoise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Note to self don't leave buying presents to the last minute on Xmas Eve

ECM1-96.GIF?20-0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like the trend now is for Monday's low to turn north earlier and either mostly miss us or just give the west coast the usual brush of strong winds.

ECM has an intense 939mb low at 72 hours but it looks too far northwest for the core of the winds to reach us.

There may be a secondary low that could give strong winds on Tuesday, or the main low could loop around before going north. No way to know yet.

Weathering wrote: »
    Note to self don't leave buying presents to the last minute on Xmas Eve

ECM1-96.GIF?20-0

Windier here today than it is on that chart. Severe for western Scotland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

It's not exactly going to be calm in Donegal tho ha

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Absolutely wild here in Dublin 4 at the minute, i think i'll leave off taking the dog out to the Pigeon House Lighthouse for another evening :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Looks liks damaging storm threat has receded on both the ECM and GFS models this evening

• Site Banned Posts: 53 ✭✭Cuddled

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Looks liks damaging storm threat has receded on both the ECM and GFS models this evening

Well that's good news anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

On the weather after the news now he said that Monday has the potential for a big storm

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Windier here today than it is on that chart. Severe for western Scotland though.

yeah i agree Maq, its unreal out here now. way worse than last saturday or wednesday. its sustained now since 3pm i reckon. whats the prognosis on it dying down. my caravans knees are trembling!!!!!

Storm 10 wrote: »
    On the weather after the news now he said that Monday has the potential for a big storm

That was this mornings model data though. Latest ECM just out now shifts the track of the low further away from us. Complex situation after that though, could be windier on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The makings of a squall line forming in Galway Bay, must stick the head out in a few minutes.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Its picked up massively in the last few minutes in Salthill

aboyro wrote: »
    yeah i agree Maq, its unreal out here now. way worse than last saturday or wednesday. its sustained now since 3pm i reckon. whats the prognosis on it dying down. my caravans knees are trembling!!!!!

Overall winds should be easing later this evening, but keep an eye on the radar as you can get severe gusts coming down to the surface when intense precipitation passes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Just hit by a squall line here in Castletroy, Limerick. It looked as though someone had upended a bucket of water over the area! That and some pretty severe gusts of wind - I haven't seen the streetlights wobble as much in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Serious squall passing over east Limerick at the moment... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extremely windy in Castlebar for the past 20 minutes with heavy showers passing through.

ECM ensemble mean with a -50 pressure anomaly on day 4.

EDM101-96.GIF?20-0

Not often you see a 50 member ensemble with a mean pressure of 940mb 4 days out, in this part of the world anyway.

EDM1-96.GIF?20-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What does that chart mean maquiladora :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ZX7R wrote: »

Low pressure.

The first chart with -50 that would indacate low pressure correct ,would that always be a storm/wind or would it just an area of very low pressure
    second chart i understand

ZX7R wrote: »

The average of 50 different model runs, all with tweaked initial conditions, yet still end up with a 940mb low, 4 days out. It shows very high confidence that it will happen and there would also have to be quite a few very deep lows within those variations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Trawling through some of the GFS ensembles...some crazy windy options being thrown out.

EDIT: Check out perturbation 1 before it disappears later. Insane run out to +180.

One more question, do all storms we get spin anti clockwise,or can they spin clockwise or does it have anything to do with us been in the north hemasphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It was a bit nasty there in swords, it sounded like a mini tornado going by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Squall has announced itself battering the window with rain...would not like to be out in that..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement