Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blink XT Cameras

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

harr wrote: »
    Got mine today and have it up. Very easy set up. Video quality is good and sound also very good. WiFi to camera is only ok. I have good broadband and have no problem normally with devices in the garden. Twice already the camera has lost connection with the modular even though they are only 10 feet apart.
    Its probably worth what I paid but in my opinion its definitely inferior to my ring Devices especially the custom abilities for the motion detection and zones.

I only have one setup so far and the sync module range seems poor. I bought the "single with a module" packs so at least I have modules that can be scattered around the house.

I haven't tried out the motion detection zoning but it does look a bit more configurable than the arlo (which doesn't seem to work for me).

Edit: +1 for Basq's comment re 5Ghz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Good point!

I had ordered the twin pack last night but had worries about the range from both cameras to a single sync module. I just cancelled that order and bought 2 x 1-camera packs. The extra tenner for an extra module makes perfect sense. Thanks man.

For those looking for a twin pack, maybe give it a bit and check again to see if my cancelled order comes available again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

harr wrote: »
    Got mine today and have it up. Very easy set up. Video quality is good and sound also very good. WiFi to camera is only ok. I have good broadband and have no problem normally with devices in the garden. Twice already the camera has lost connection with the modular even though they are only 10 feet apart.
    Its probably worth what I paid but in my opinion its definitely inferior to my ring Devices especially the custom abilities for the motion detection and zones.
    That's strange. I did move my sync module closer to a window after having initial teething problems (a couple of brick walls between camera and sync module), but have not had any issues since. One camera is about 20 feet away (one brick wall), the other about 50 feet (no solid walls).

I've found the zones to be better than my Ring doorbell (v1), as I can include/exclude specific areas of the camera view, rather than operating in specific linear planes, but the Ring software has likely improved since my device died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Mine came today and set up no problem. Works well and the app is also quite good. If anyone needs help, the support section of the Blink website seems quite comprehensive: https://support.blinkforhome.com/hc/en-us

One thing I am disappointed with is the mount supplied. I’ve ordered this as a more appropriate replacement:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PRF6X8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Doodah7 wrote: »

One thing I am disappointed with is the mount supplied. I’ve ordered this as a more appropriate replacement:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PRF6X8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's the problem with the supplied mount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

tusk wrote: »

Fairly flimsy. Fine for inside, but would get shaken around outside in a strong breeze. I upgraded to a sturdier mount myself
    And that's the only criticism I'd have of the Blink cameras.

Flimsy rubbish that is only really suitable for attaching to a plasterboard internal wall. No way it would withstand the elements in winter.

I'm planning to attach mine to a wall in a porch that's not covered in, but it would never get hit by rain, maybe a bit of wind, you think it would be ok?

Might do but if you have ordered one, you will see yourself. I was looking in the box for the ‘bracket’ but it is a large coin-sized folding piece of plastic with a couple of short screws! No rawl plugs or anything like that included.

• Advertisement

Might do but if you have ordered one, you will see yourself. I was looking in the box for the ‘bracket’ but it is a large coin-sized folding piece of plastic with a couple of short screws! No rawl plugs or anything like that included.

Jaysus that's pretty bleak. May have to just go for the bracket so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

iggy wrote: »
    Anyone know if these are better than the yi home cameras?

I have a yi home facing out the window onto the driveway but I'm liking the look of this blink camera. My WiFi will be strong for where I'm putting it.

Thanks

I have both. I like the Yi cameras and app better than I do the Blink ones. It's not really fair to compare them though. Blink are battery powered and that provides it's own advantage where they can be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Mine came today and set up no problem. Works well and the app is also quite good. If anyone needs help, the support section of the Blink website seems quite comprehensive: https://support.blinkforhome.com/hc/en-us

That wall bracket saying not shipped to Ireland?

I ordered this one
    Blink XT Camera Wall Mount Bracket,Weather Proof 360 Degree Full Protective Adjustable Outdoor Indoor Mount and Cover Case for Blink XT Home Security Camera System (1PACK, Black-Blink XT Mount) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QRRY1L2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_imWhDbD88QFWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have 3 Blink cams outside and 1 inside and can't recommend them enough. The most active cam (outside the front door to the garden gate) has about 2-4 activations per day and I still got 8 months out of the battery. The quieter cams are still going.

That being said, they are not the best if you are looking for a fully fledged CCTV system. However, if you want to know when someone is on the grounds of your house, these work perfectly.

I have 3 Blink cams outside and 1 inside and can't recommend them enough. The most active cam (outside the front door to the garden gate) has about 2-4 activations per day and I still got 8 months out of the battery. The quieter cams are still going.

That being said, they are not the best if you are looking for a fully fledged CCTV system. However, if you want to know when someone is on the grounds of your house, these work perfectly.

are you using the supplied bracket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

are you using the supplied bracket?

No - I am using these. They look and feel flimsy, and the screws are tiny and rust quickly but they are cheap and rock steady. Never had any issues with the wind blowing the frame causing false alarms.

• Advertisement

I ordered this one
    Blink XT Camera Wall Mount Bracket,Weather Proof 360 Degree Full Protective Adjustable Outdoor Indoor Mount and Cover Case for Blink XT Home Security Camera System (1PACK, Black-Blink XT Mount) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QRRY1L2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_imWhDbD88QFWA

I used Parcel Motel. I also wanted white as the area where the camera will be positioned is also white.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

I have 3 of my cameras mounted for >2 years outside with just the bracket supplied. My bracket was the same design but metal, not plastic like someone else mentioned. They may have changed the material since I bought maybe?

Anyway, the metal version of the included bracket has never given me any trouble. I live on top of a hill with not a lot of protection from the wind and they're still in place after 2 full winters.

Some of the 3rd party brackets do give a wider range of positioning though so if that's important I'd go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭KingCong

Looks like they are sold out already of the 1 and 2 camera bundles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Possibly holding some back for Prime Week? Worth keeping an eye out. Thought with the new version coming they may have just been shifting stock

Got mine today. Very happy so far. The bracket is actually fine for me and where I have the camera.

Wasn't expecting it to be so tiny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

garion wrote: »
    I have 3 of my cameras mounted for >2 years outside with just the bracket supplied. My bracket was the same design but metal, not plastic like someone else mentioned. They may have changed the material since I bought maybe?

Mine have the plastic bracket, have 3 of them outdoors and they haven't budged over the past 18 months. Have 5 of the indoor ones from when I backed it on kickstarter. Great little cameras. Only feature it's missing is geofencing although you can get around that with IFTTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Rushden wrote: »
    Two pack gone?

Back in 1996. A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Just set up my twin pack of these cameras today.

Great picture and really nice design but the WiFi on the sync module was awful for me.

They are going back to amazon on Monday

I ordered this one

Did you get this yet? Any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Just set up my twin pack of these cameras today.

Great picture and really nice design but the WiFi on the sync module was awful for me.

They are going back to amazon on Monday

I'll take them off you and pay p&p if you haven't sent them back yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

No problem mate, where are you based?

Can you pay via revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I received my camera yesterday and I'm not very impressed with teh image quality and teh lag when logging in as well as the response time of the video.

Any tips on how to improve both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Bought 2 x 2 camera systems. Set up was simple but the lag is simply too great for me - 3-5 seconds it seems. Okay if only for recording but for live monitoring it's not good enough for me.

Going back to Amazon on Monday.

Yeah the lag is pretty high tbf. Not so high for me that I'd send them back though.

I'm pretty happy with the package for 50 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

No problem mate, where are you based?

Can you pay via revolut?

If, for whatever reason this doesnt work out can you let me know please? Also interested. Have revolut. :)

• Advertisement

Installed the camera outside this evening and it was in colour (it was a little dark outside...now when I view the live feed it's in B/W - is this normal?

Also, anyone know how to reduce the lag? (move the receiver closer to the camera?)

Thanks.

jim salter wrote: »
    Installed the camera outside this evening and it was in colour (it was a little dark outside...now when I view the live feed it's in B/W - is this normal?

Also, anyone know how to reduce the lag? (move the receiver closer to the camera?)

Thanks.

Night vision is infrared so will show up black and white.

Night vision is infrared so will show up black and white.

Thanks for the response...Just realised all my cameras are the same - :D D'oh!

I am actually quite impressed with the ability to view the camera remotely (over the internet) without any DDNS or any special setup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Lads does anyone know where to get decent replacement lithium batteries for the cameras? My go to would be Amazon but they won't ship batteries to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Energiser Ultimate Lithium are the best AA's out there. Tesco sells 'em.

Pique wrote: »
    Energiser Ultimate Lithium are the best AA's out there. Tesco sells 'em.

Thanks but at €13 for a pack of 4 (€3.25 per battery) I'd be looking for cheaper options.

Amazon sell a pack of 24 for €34 (€1.40 per battery).

Does anyone know if address pal / parcel motel work for batteries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

davo2001 wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know where to get decent replacement lithium batteries for the cameras? My go to would be Amazon but they won't ship batteries to Ireland.

Addresspal is the only one that'll ship batteries. Picked up a delivery of AA Lithiums from my local P.O. this morning. (For my Blinks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

dan786 wrote: »

Thanks for this.. Saw your post and then went to check Amazon. They were sold out but 5 mins later were back in stock. Picked up the three pack for a super price!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blink-Home-Security-Detection-Included/dp/B075RK1DJT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=blink+xt&qid=1563263243&s=gateway&smid=AR3ZLPJGUO0WE&sprefix=blink&sr=8-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's mad I bought a 2 pack back in December which cost a lot more but one cam failed. I got into them and they're giving a full refund, then wake up this morning to see the 3 pack and I was like score.... Bought right away so now have 3 instead of 2 for a great deal...

Great picture and sound from them.

It's mad I bought a 2 pack back in December which cost a lot more but one cam failed. I got into them and they're giving a full refund, then wake up this morning to see the 3 pack and I was like score.... Bought right away so now have 3 instead of 2 for a great deal...

Great picture and sound from them.

I got two 1 packs a couple of weeks ago and they are great. So once I saw this I was straight on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

On a wait list :-(

gar wrote: »
    On a wait list :-(

gluck, great little piece of kit

If on the wait list are you guaranteed to get it?

• Advertisement

If on the wait list are you guaranteed to get it?

Only if someone who has it in their cart doesn't buy it in time, or if someone returns it I guess...

Only if someone who has it in their cart doesn't buy it in time, or if someone returns it I guess...

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading the 'learn more' piece and it says :

"When you join a waitlist, you'll see your place in the queue and a message indicating your chance of becoming eligible to claim the Lightning Deal if you stay in the queue. Your chance of claiming the deal will be indicated as GOOD (you're in the top 20% of the queue), MEDIUM (if you're in the section of the queue below the top 20% and above the bottom 40%), or POOR (you're in the bottom 40% of the queue)."

I cannot see the indicator for 'GOOD'/'MEDIUM'/'POOR' - am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading the 'learn more' piece and it says :

"When you join a waitlist, you'll see your place in the queue and a message indicating your chance of becoming eligible to claim the Lightning Deal if you stay in the queue. Your chance of claiming the deal will be indicated as GOOD (you're in the top 20% of the queue), MEDIUM (if you're in the section of the queue below the top 20% and above the bottom 40%), or POOR (you're in the bottom 40% of the queue)."

I cannot see the indicator for 'GOOD'/'MEDIUM'/'POOR' - am I missing something?

One of the lads in work joined the waiting list this morning and then got confirmation of order about 6 hours later.

Apparently it sold out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

davo2001 wrote: »

I've just received an order from Nkon in Holland of these. Good prices, particularly if you order in bulk. I've enough of these now to top up my Blink XTs for the next 10 years! 😜

https://eu.nkon.nl/disposable-batteries/aa-14500/10-aa-energizer-ultimate-lithium-l91.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement