Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical engineering apprenticeship

Options
  • 16-07-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for some advice.Have been offered an electrical engineering apprenticeship with a large company.It is 2 years to a level 7 qualification.There is a huge pay cut for these years from my current pay as an electrician.Just wondering has anyone undertaken this and is the short term pain worth if for hopefully a brighter future that doesn’t include killing myself pulling cables and lugging ladders around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭RandomUsername

I'd imagine the short term pain would be worth it once you can afford the 2 years on the breadline.
    I haven't done it but I'd be interested hearing some more detail like what college is doing it and if it's all off the job, it would be something I'd be interested in doing in the mid term future.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can you post a link to the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Look at the long-term picture. Its only 2 years. If you'll be better off after it, financially and in terms of quality of work, go for it is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

From personal experience.

The pay is better as an Electrician. Will take you a few years to get back up to the rate assuming a) you are getting the current Sparks rate and b) you will start off on graduate rates.

I am a spark who has transitioned to an engineering role within the same company but have been lucky enough to keep my old rate. I am €5k a year more than my more experienced and qualified college.

Things will obviously vary on what part of the country you are from/ company etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭larrya

2011 wrote: »
    Can you post a link to the course?

http://apprenticeship.lit.ie/apprenticeships/b-eng-in-industrial-electrical-engineering-apprenticeship/

It’s through lit with two 15 week blocks in college and the rest on the job.its a level 7 qualification after the two years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I know nothing about this particular course or engineering apprenticeships in general. However it looks like a good way for those that have various commitments to transition across to engineering. I have always had the view that electricians need to plan for that stage in life when they are too old to work on their tools but far too young to retire.

It sounds like a great opportunity, best of luck with it. Once you have a bit of experience under your belt I would expect the salary to improve considerably. As with many courses the more you put into it the more you get out.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Samoa Joe hit the nail on the head.

If you are doing it for the money it will take a long time to pay off in the sense that you will be on a lesser rate than an electrician for a good amount of time, even after you are qualified as an engineer it is still only level 7 and most companies are looking for level 8 engineers.On the plus side you have the hands on experience on your side.
    With the level 7 if you leave your current company, you will have the minimum requirement for entry in to the likes of Vistakon as a technician. Vistakon put alot of their staff through LIT on the level 7.
    AFAIK the course is not accredited with engineers ireland.

Would you be paid during your block release work by your company if not you have to take that in to account.

tweek84 wrote: »
    If you are doing it for the money it will take a long time to pay off in the sense that you will be on a lesser rate than an electrician for a good amount of time, even after you are qualified

Not necessarily.
    Speaking as a qualified electrician that returned to college later in life to complete an electrical engineering degree that was not my experience.
    it is still only level 7 and most companies are looking for level 8 engineers.

What they want and what they can get are two very different things in the current climate. The fact that the OP is a qualified electrician also carries a lot of weight with employers too.
    On the plus side you have the hands on experience on your side

Exactly and this is an important component in salary negotiations.
    AFAIK the course is not accredited with engineers ireland.

This is an important point. You should check this out as it is important in terms of recognition of the qualification and how it is viewed within the industry in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

This is fantastic course if you can afford to do it.

Snip
    Most of the few companies that do offer the course require you to stay on for 3 years post course to work for only about 35k a year. So that is quite a lot of money to be lost out on potentially.

However as you say how old do you want to be doing heavy work at, it takes its toll.
    There is a hell of a lot harder ways of getting qualifications however. I am personally the past 6 years in college by night 2-3 a week for 3hrs a night. I have 1 more year to go for a level 8. I would have bitten off your hand if what you are being offered was offered to me 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭larrya

Would you be paid during your block release work by your company if not you have to take that in to account.[/quote]

Yes I would be paid a salary plus an additional allowance for college.
    You sign for 5 years can leave within this time but have to repay the college fees.

• Advertisement

As per the charter discussion of rates are not permitted on this forum.
    Thank you

Advertisement