Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So smaller more frequent trains , to suit more spread out populations , preferably able to stop in towns and villages - maybe give them rubber wheels ,and let them travel on roads -dedicated roads in busy areas ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no as it's more road transport ultimately which we need to be cutting the reliance on.

+ by the time you build that segregated infrastructure you may as well have built a railway or a tram if you are going to that expense.

there is a reason why all of these get out of building rail type solutions either end up being a one off or a very minority solution.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think the point is to get better use out of our current infrastructure by tweaking it, for instance with more crossing points on single lines and more frequent services; and doubling lines where necessary.

Then, re-lay certain lines to create a better network - and the Claremorris to Athenry section along with Waterford to Rosslare is most obvious here, as it would join up most of the lines radiating out from Dublin. After that, there are lots of old lines that could be opened again, many of them in the north or partly so. Remember that there used to be a line linking Mayo to Belfast! Clearly it will never make sense to re-lay most of those old lines as a result of modern fast road traffic along with the fact that the road network reaches every house and business in the country.

My real point here is that the "infrastructure" exists - sure, bridges might need to be rebuilt in some places, but the major engineering work is already in place - the necessary embankments and cuts, viaducts, bridges and possibly even tunnels were built in the 19th and very early 20th centuries and mostly still exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,513 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most of those lines didn't make any economic sense even in the 19th century.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Westernview

Great to see Eamon Ryan name checking the WRC as one of the priority projects ahead of next month's budget.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/greens-want-rural-rail-and-cheap-public-transport-fares-prioritised-in-coming-budget-says-eamon-ryan/a620213727.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The most Ryan can do for the WRC in the remaining time of the current government is commission another report on its potential reopening. He'd have to hope for very different findings to all the previous reports but even then, submitting a Business Case, if a plausible one can be cobbled together, will likely fall to the next Minister.

He wont need to commission any other reports or hope for different findings as the AIRR recommends opening the WRC to Claremorris.

Fortune telling what the next minister will do is pointless. It may well be Ryan again anyway.

The AIRR is no where near a Business Case for spending €400 - 600m. It sets out a whole load of potential projects, it is largely meaningless.

WRC is not part of the NDP or any current capital plans. There is no chance of it pass even the first PSC Gate in the remaining time of the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I posted a review recently in the Infrastructure thread of the previous "Report" into WRC. An absolute disgrace and biased report.

The follow up "Review" of the "Report" was also a joke. It failed to point out glaring holes in the assumptions made by EY.

So, I've reviewed the EY report from 2020 on WRC phase 2 and 3 (Athenry to Claremorris), which concluded a CBA of 0.21. I'm calling absolute utter horse crap on this report. It made basic, very significant, errors and questionable assumptions throughout. One can only conclude that EY were biased against the project in their analysis.

Journey Time:

The report assumes a capex to bring the line up to 150kmh design speed, and yet it assumes Tuam-Galway direct services would take 50mins versus 40mins by car. The real comparison, based on EY's own assumptions, should be 35mins (by train) versus 60mins (by car). This is a fundamental error which pulls the entire report into question.

The report includes -0.87m economic benefit (negative) due to Time Saving. This should, minimum, be +0.87 but in reality, much higher.

Tourists (wait for it)....:

EY assume 23,000 tourist journeys annually on the line, both domestic and international. This equates to 2 tourists, TWO, on each train. TWO!!! Imagine, a line linking Galway and Westport!!!!! Even assuming an additional 10x tourists on each train, 10euro single ticket, that would equate to 1.1m extra revenue (versus 2.2m total assumed).

The report uses Borders Railway (Edinburgh to Tweedbank) as an example of a "city to rural" line to compare tourist numbers, which conclude 4% of journeys would be tourists. If you read about this railway you'll see why it is BS. This line has shattered expectations with 184,000 journeys in 2016 for Tweekbank versus a predicted 19,000. A report in 2016 concluded that 40k car journeys were taken off the roads (versus a predicted 60k). Tourism numbers increased 12% in 2016 and the 2017 report indicated that 23% of visitors would not have gone there without the line. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borders_Railway

The fact that EY used this line as a proxy but failed to consider how successful that line has been speaks to their bias.

Noise:

The report includes -1.35m economic benefit (negative) due to train noise. This, despite the report assuming 18x lorry journeys are removed and replaced by one freight train. This is BS, so let's call that zero (it should be positive).

Emissions:

The report includes -0.02m economic benefit (negative) for emissions. But this is based on 50mins train versus 40mins car, which is totally incorrect based on the EY's own assumptions. The -0.02m number should be positive.

Fare prices / Revenue:

The report assumes 4.11eur for a single Tuam-Galway ticket, but assumes 4.28eur assumed for Athenry-Galway?!... A Tuam-Dublin fare was assumed to cost 7.01eur. This compares to Galway-Dublin or Claremorris-Dublin fares in 2023 of 16eur. EY's assumption for revenue is massively understated.

Summary:

The entire report is rubbish. The errors made on time (rail versus car) bring every number in the report into question. Even if I make some basic adjustments (extra tourist revenue, no noise impact, positive time savings), the CBA immediately improves from 0.21 to 0.5. This is before reviewing their 'demand generation' assumptions for accurate journey time comparisons.

Here's a snippet from the report to show how biased EY have been. Their tone and attitude throughout the report is v.loaded and negative and cannot be considered impartial.

In particular, the WRC should encourage people to move to areas on the North-West Coast (North of Galway City), supporting the development of those communities. However, most of these individuals will likely be drawn from other locations in Ireland (such as Dublin or Galway City), meaning the benefit to the Irish economy as whole will be limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'm not anti rail, i think there should be a huge increase in rail spending, but rural and small town rail is a joke , its a bit like argueing for the return of canal travel and transport,

Commuter trains to a city , fine , intercity trains great , dart and luas , all for it ,

But connecting 3 or 4 small towns on 19th century infrastructure , and stations that are just half a mile out if the village.. daft and not in the slightest bit good for the environment,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Small towns need buses

There's hardly anyone using them ATM but the service is necessary

Yup , but decent bus services ,

At times that suit - well thought out routes going to places people would want to use , preferably with decent stops,ticketing,and inline info/ tracking .

Its not free , and just cascade an old expressway bus onto a middle of nowhere route , thats been that route for 50 years ..

And its not going to be bus eireann that does it ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The AIRR recommends Claremorris to Tuam in its final package based on it connecting a number of towns with 10+ plus populations. It rejects the WRC to Sligo as the town sizes on the route dont justify it. Listening to you it would appear they are basing decisions on nothing.

Your expertise on business cases is evident at the stage of course - I previously asked you 3 times to justify your claim that if the investment on the WRC was spent on exiting line it would provide all the necessary upgrades but you failed to produce any figures.

The downgrading in priority of the N17 road since the release of the NDP proves there are moving parts in it (there shouldn't be in a national plan) so I wouldnt cite that as any evidence against the WRC.

'Rural rail spending is a joke' - based on what? Clearly the government and Arup believe otherwise and for such a tiny fraction of the overall budge they can link a number of the main towns in the West to Galway. As I have already mentioned the report sets 10K+ towns as one criteria for linking. Baxter have already recently moved all their freight to rail and are on record as saying they want the Athenry and on to open so that they can use it. Funny how you seem to know something that they don't.

How big are these main towns , ? Whats their future development plans ?

What are their current traveling numbers

And what are their travel options .. ?

And im not anti-public transport, its just rural rail is an 1860's dream , not even a 1960's dream ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

We've a good bus service down here in the rural west

Small and big towns linked and a regular service few times a day

Only people use it is those with bus pass or no cars

• Advertisement

There are formulas for providing rail ,

( some irish rail guy ,at an info thing for another cork rail link over 15 years ago was telling me )

So , the age of the population counts , younger people travel more for school , college ,and work , the density of population counts ,around the station if people have to drive to the station they'll just drive on ,

The trip generators near station count , so if the train doesnt stop next to colleges,hospitals large employment hubs ,

Other means of transport count - if there's a decent road running parallel then thats going to take numbers ,

Journey times count , if its an hour on the train to do whats 30 mins in a car , people are going to drive ..

If any politican or official signs up to provide another limerick / ballybrophy line they should be taken out and shot for treason , ( i cant remember what the annual subvention is ,but it would cheaper , quicker and probably greener to transport their current customer base by taxi , not mini bus - ordinary taxi ..

Basically there was a carrigaline/ringaskiddy to balincolig via the city centre , hospitals and colleges , with major major employment hubs also along the line,( several thousand each) as well as linking with the train and bus stations,

It didn't have enough potential usage to warrant either rail or light rail , so the carrigaline part has been scrubbed and the rest may be delivered as a bus route in 20 or 30 years ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Oh and for the record the carrigaline municiple district has a population of about 36 thousand people and growing fast , as well many large industrial sites ,

And is only 15 km from the city ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

so is ridiculously viable to be served by light rail.

meaning your claim as to why it wasn't built is incorrect.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Even in the rural west, the population of every county has been growing - and this growth tends to very disproportionately go into the towns and in their immediate vicinity, while the actual rural population declines or remains static as small farmers retire and their land becomes incorporated into larger holdings.

Many people commute long distances to work - 50 miles is not unheard of. I'd guess quite a number of people in S Mayo commute to Galway for work & study, also to Tuam and Castlebar as the closest large towns. Many also drive to Galway - which is a nightmare to get in and out of - for shopping.

So to my mind, it is not unreasonable to restore the Athenry to Claremorris lines, while laying more passing points on all single tracks. As well as allowing for a better service, this would permit the introduction of local trains; for instance a hub in Athlone with short trains running local services to nearby town, and maybe another in Claremorris.

while the actual rural population declines or remains static as small farmers retire and their land becomes incorporated into larger holdings.

In a sane country the only truly rural population would be farmers but this is very far from a sane country.

Scrap the cap!

The abnormal abundance of rural one-off homes in Ireland is a result of post-colonial Landlord Estates being split out evenly to every farming family in Ireland. It's actually quite extraordinary, don't think any other country, certainly in Europe, has the same structure.

Unfortunately, it's so engrained in our culture and past, it's extremely difficult to change. What is insane is the total lack of government support to build homes "in" villages and towns. They claim to be limiting permissions for one-off housing, but in rural areas I see zero homes being built in towns, but lots of new one-off homes.

• Advertisement

Plrnty of small town estates built

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Consonata

If we had implemented the Kenny report appropriately, we may have been able to avoid it. This way that land has developed has cost the state billions.

Yeah but farmers cash in, which is the important thing...

Scrap the cap!

I'm sure this is true in some towns, but it's not the case in most towns outside the Dublin commuter belt.

Prior to the crash, every Tom, Bridie and Harry could get money from the bank and become a developer. Now, there is only funding available for the biggest developers who have no interest building homes in a rural village in the Midlands.

Trying to bring this back on topic, people think it is a waste of time investing in rural rail, however with the right policy and support from government, much needed homes could be built at high density near new, upgraded and higher frequency stations.

Unfortunately, the lack of action from the current gov is insane. All the problems left to private enterprise to fix itself.

Ah could be , maybe the building has changed lately then

• Advertisement

Discontent continuing with the downgrading of the N17 as a priority for the region.

It still seems strange that it was given such importance in the NDP and then kicked to touch. Initially there was talk of a motorway, then dual carriageway then singlecarriageway and now it's uncertain when work will take place at all.

Sligo and Galway have been the two gateway cities identified in the region and once the rail reinstatement was rejected the road should logically gain more emphasis. Can it just be put down to limited resources and having to prioritising other road projects or is something else at play?

It is classified as a 'gateway city' in terms of regional development and National Development Plans, which is why I included the word gateway.

Cool, still not a city though regardless of what you put in front of it

It's not a city no. It just has that title which refers more to it's longterm future prospects in terms of regional planning for future population growth and targeted investment. Gateway region is another term that is being increasing used more recently so that is probably a more appropriate description I could have used.

The main point I was making is that Sligo and Galway are the 2 biggest population centres in Connacht and will be in the future. They are situated at each end of the province and up to recently there was supposed to be a strong emphasis on improving infrastructural links between them, which would seem to make sense. That seems to have been diluted significantly since though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are named 10 hubs in Project Ireland 2040. Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Sligo, Athlone, Letterkenny, Drogheda and Dundalk. Connecting these with decent inter urban roads is a priority under the National Development Plan (hence the prioritisation of upgrades to the N2, N4, N17, N20, N24 amongst others).

This was a noble endeavour until it was pillaged by the bike salesman in charge of the Department

Is upgrading roads still a thing ?

Doesn't it just encourage car travel

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

Put your pedantry away. Gateway cities are basically the centre of activity for a region. While the term of "city" is more applicable to places like Europe and America who have larger urban areas, Sligo is the largest urban area in its region, and second largest in Connacht. It is in effect a city for the places around it. That's all the term means. If you so desperately need another term that doesn't have city in it, call it a "gateway town".

Kinda to be honest. While I'm not totally opposed to improving roads because people do need them, it shouldn't come at the expense of rail infrastructure. Roads probably won't need large upgrades if more non-road alternatives were provided.

the bike sales man who is dragging us into the 21st century in terms of transport.

still a lot to do as we have a hell of a lot of catching up to do, but well done eimo.

the days of megga road schemes are over, they just bring high expensivity and mean less money for the bread and butter roads and the necessary motor ways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nobody wants any mega road projects on the N17. Just a safe route from Charlestown to Collooney that isn’t a death trap and is actually suited to modern transport needs.* Most of this stretch of road dates from the 1800s and is unengineered.

* Buses use this route too and have to currently navigate it at uncompetitively slow speeds. Cyclists and pedestrians risk their lives using it.

Unless you count the Velorail thing, there is no non-road alternative to the N17 north of Claremorris and there are no plans for one.

Generally I agree and I like a lot of what Ryan and the Greens want to do - active travel, reduced speed limits, town bypasses taking out bottlenecks instead of big new roads, taking freight off roads on to trains etc but this does seem to be a strange one. Im glad to see the plan to open the rail to Claremorris but it was never going to substitute for the N17.

Exactly just needs to be a safer single lane carriageway with a hard shoulder and bypass as many towns as possible.

A fact is not pedantic, it is a fact

Though in fairness facts have rarely been welcomed by WRC supporters

What term is used to describe Sligo is irrelevant to the point the poster was making. 3 follow up comments focusing on the incorrectness of the term is, in fact, pedantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick to Galway service to be upgraded to 22000 fleet from December. Not sure if all 2800s will be withdrawn from this line or if some will continue to be used for Limerick-Ennis services.

Good to see upgrades in fleet. Is that like-for-like in terms of carriages and capacity? I saw a number of people on social media complaining last week that they had to sit on the floor along the route.

What are they so lax about seatbelts on buses

Also thought the lapbelts they mostly provide had been deemed unsafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There should be an increase in capacity as some existing services use 2-car 2800 (85 seated) whereas the minimum for a 22000 is 3-cars (190 seated)? Open to correction

• Advertisement

Hopefully the AIRR recommends Claremorris-Collooney for reopening after this second round of consultation... but the fact an N17 upgrade would have helped buses and cyclists makes it a really stupid decision to effectively cancel it.

Advertisement