Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risco Installer

Options
  • 16-01-2018 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm looking to get a Risco hybrid alarm installed but most companies seem to only provide HKC. Can anybody recommend an installer that can provide Risco equipment?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have a search through the register below for installers near you. HKC has become very dominant in the industry for a reason but I'm sure you'll get someone to install Risco (They're a very good system BTW).

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/webContract?OpenForm

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nickname2018

Thanks Fred - I've tried a good few but no one seems willing/able to install the Risco. I guess I'll have to start going through the whole list!

I'm sure HKC is a solid system but I prefer the Risco keypad and app.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi,

I'm looking to get a Risco hybrid alarm installed but most companies seem to only provide HKC. Can anybody recommend an installer that can provide Risco equipment?

Thanks!

Hi. Unfortunately the industry full of people/companies who only want to install what they want & not what you require. Imagine going into Harvey Normans and only being offered one brand of TV or PC? What would you do?
    Shop Around.
    Where are you located?
    Give REW a shout.
    http://rew.ie/
    They are one of the main suppliers. They should put you in contact with a few installers.

Thanks - I'm in South Dublin. I'll try REW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi. Unfortunately the industry full of people/companies who only want to install what they want & not what you require. Imagine going into Harvey Normans and only being offered one brand of TV or PC? What would you do?
    Shop Around.
    Where are you located?
    Give REW a shout.
    http://rew.ie/
    They are one of the main suppliers. They should put you in contact with a few installers.

Those of us just who are self employed rather install systems that we know inside out and do not give silly warranty issues, which annoy customers and cost us time and therefore money.
    But as an employee, stuff like that need not disturb you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Hi Nickname2018,
    How are you finding the Risco hybrid system? I am in a similar scenario to you and am investigating this system based off of a recommendation from another thread.

Thanks,
    Philip

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As an installer we have lots of these systems installed and working perfectly without any issues.

Hi Philip,

Have had it for about a year and so far it seems fine. I find the app easy to use for day to day stuff, but I would say that some of the more advanced settings are not as straightforward as they should be. For example, I changed my wifi router and now I can't seem to update the network through the app or keypad - perhaps it's buried somewhere in the keypad settings but it's not easy to find if so. In this day and age I feel like it should be easier to make that kind of thing more user friendly.

The settings & configuration on Risco is not for the faint hearted .
    Were you connected via WiFi as opposed to the LAN card?

I sorted it out in the end by adjusting my own network. But yes, I hope I never have to change much on the panel itself as it seems very tricky!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Koolkid: which of the 3 systems (lightsys 2, agility 3 or agility 4) would you recommend for my situation?

3 bed semi. Wires already in place for 3 PIRs (sitting room, hallway and kitchen). No other wiring for wireless contacts and shock sensors for the doors and windows so these will have to be wireless.

I have a nest project fire alarm system, Tado smart thermostat and Hue lighting so I don't need any of that integrated. I might use the cameras for inside and outside in the future.

Thanks,
    Philip

Agility 4 if you have no wiring for a wired keypad.

There is a cable near the frontdoor above a light switch which I think could be for a keypad.

There is also grouped cabling and a power cable beside the fusebox in hallway which I think is the starting point of all the cables for the PIRs and possibly the keypad.

Are you aware of any good/recommended Risco installers in Galway?

Thanks

Maybe the Lightsys2 and touchscreen keypad would be a good option so.
    Don't know anyone in Galway offhand. Take a look over the PSA register.

Thanks Koolkid,
    I've been doing a bit more research on the system and I've a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer for. It would be great to get your expert opinion on the following.
    • Is the Agility 4 more advanced/better thatn the Linksys 2?
    • Can wired PIRs work with the Agility 4 or is it all only wireless? It mentions 4 wired zomes on their website.
    • If I go for the Agility 4, am I better off just going all wireless with the PIRs and Panel and just ignore the wired options even though wires are in place?
    • Are the Agility 4 wireless accessories (e.g. Beyond DT wireless outdoor detector with camera, solar version) compatible with the Linksys 2 system?
    • Would I need an internal sounder in a 3-bed semi?
    • For the side of the house and back of it I am thinking either Beyond DT wireless outdoor detector with camera (for pics) or VuPoint WiFi cameras. Which would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Philip

More advanced in the sense that its newer I'd is about it.
    You can add an expander for 4 wired zones.
    I'm not sure on the backward compatibility to lightSYS 2.
    Lots of benefit to an internal siren. No downside to having one.
    For outdoor detectors you have to be pretty sure the area is going to remain clear. Otherwise they will drive you mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shayshay85

Hi, jumping in here hoping you can help me. I've a risco alarm connected via wifi. Its working great but I want to change broadband provider. Could you advise me how to connect to a new modem/router via wifi. I dont have the engineer code and I was in contact with the installer but contact ceased when he discovered i'm connected to the risco self monitored app, Thanks.

Advertisement