Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak for novice as gift

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks,

looking to get a present for herself, she's into kayaking and now that we are living beside a lake it finally might be time to bite the bullet and get her on the water.
    But I haven't a rashers about kayaks so looking for a bit of advice.
    Bearing in mind I bought her an expensive bike a few years ago that hasn't seen the light of day in an age, I was thinking to get her a starter boat and see how often it would be used before investing in something more significant.
    She's been out a few times with a friend so shes reasonably confident but was thinking to signing her up to a few lessons with the local kayaking club for the winter.

So to the purpose of the thread - What would be a good recommendation for a basic (steady) second hand sit-on boat?
    What should I be expecting to pay for it?
    Was also wondering about picking up the rest of the gear in particular the winter westsuit, paddle, jacket etc.
    Anyone with any advice or help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance folks.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Any kind of decent condition sit-on-top will do. No harm to check the paddle is strong and durable if you are also picking that up second hand.

You will pay €300 ish plus.

The gear I'd suggest would be a winter steamer wetsuit, with 5mm body/3mm arms; buoyancy aid, cag/waterproof jacket, neoprene gloves and booties, helmet.

With all the above gear and the cost of it mounting up you may nearly get a deal on a new boat and new gear also from an outdoor shop for the same type of price...

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I think the lessons would be a more worthwhile investment now to be honest - There are so many different types of kayaks, designed for many different situations it is next to impossible to recommend something that will suit all beginers.

Second best investment would be the warm gear - particularly given she already seems to have access to a Kayak.

If your set on getting a kayak I wouldn't recommend a sit on top - they are very limiting. Something like the Dagger Approach could be perfect. It would be OK on easy whitewater or sea kayaking or some touring. If you go to a good retailer (in Dublin Great Outdoors, I-Canoe or Total Experience are good) and ask for a crossover touring kayak they will point you to something like that. Problem with them is that if you advance past the beginer level where it was OK at everything it will become not good enough at whatever aspect of Kayaking you eventually get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aboyjoey

Hi all

thanks for the help.
    considering the advice, I've decided to get her membership of the local kayak club and pick up some gear for her instead of getting the boat initially.
    Safety first - thanks again folks, advice is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

aboyjoey wrote: »
    Hi all

thanks for the help.
    considering the advice, I've decided to get her membership of the local kayak club and pick up some gear for her instead of getting the boat initially.
    Safety first - thanks again folks, advice is much appreciated.
    If only every query made was as easy as this. There is nothing more frustrating than people not accepting advice to join a club and learn the ropes first.

You're a refreshing OP.....

Consider joining with her! How bad the two of you can safely take to the Lake?

Advertisement