Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Virgin TV to FTA

Options
  • 18-10-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm looking to get rid of virgin TV and sort FTA/saorview. Have a Samsung Android TV and bought an indoor antenna which is picking up saorview when connected to the TV.

Issue is trying to get Freesat. I've hooked up the connections feeding in that were used on the Virgin media box to amiko box but I'm getting no satellite signal. Not sure where I'm going wrong and assuming the wires feeding in are hooked up to the outdoor satellite.

What would be best option from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

cizolin wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm looking to get rid of virgin TV and sort FTA/saorview. Have a Samsung Android TV and bought an indoor antenna which is picking up saorview when connected to the TV.

Issue is trying to get Freesat. I've hooked up the connections feeding in that were used on the Virgin media box to amiko box but I'm getting no satellite signal. Not sure where I'm going wrong and assuming the wires feeding in are hooked up to the outdoor satellite.

VM is a cable network. You need a satellite dish for fta.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Hi All

For Freesat or free to air UK satellite tv you will need a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭cizolin

DopeTech wrote: »
    VM is a cable network. You need a satellite dish for fta.

Have a satellite dish out back, must check all connections, wire might not be feeding in from that I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Have a satellite dish out back, must check all connections, wire might not be feeding in from that I guess

Virgin media is definitely not coming from the dish.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Virgin media is definitely not coming from the dish.

Thanks, must be from what previous owners had prior to UPC/virgin...I had thought satellite was linked to virgin box. Thanks for highlighting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Hi All

What's your TV model number?

And is there a Satellite input beside where you put the cable into the TV to get Saorview?

What's your TV model number?

And is there a Satellite input beside where you put the cable into the TV to get Saorview?

Thanks for your reply

It's a Sony TV actually, Sony Bravia 4K GB ATV3. There is a connection for satellite, seperate to the saorview one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Thanks for your reply

It's a Sony TV actually, Sony Bravia 4K GB ATV3. There is a connection for satellite, seperate to the saorview one

Freesat is only available on Samsung, LG and Panasonic TVs

Sony TVs just has a Free-to-air tuner built-in, so no 7 day EPG on English channels, just Now & Next data

Here's a list of the channels available to tune in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

^ In other words ditch the VM box and connect your satellite dish directly to the TV. If you only have a VM connection coming through the wall you could cut the cable on the outside of the wall and join your satellite feed to the cable that passes through the wall

Advertisement