Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Upgrade to Sky Q offer?

Options
  • 14-10-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for asking such a basic question here, but I couldn't find a Sky Human and their online help is like a maze in a horror movie where any exit brings you back to the same place.

They've offered me the upgrade from Sky+ to SkyQ with no set-up fees and keeping my current package, but nowhere do they mention if there are extra monthly fees. I also have phone and broadband with them. Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Sorry for asking such a basic question here, but I couldn't find a Sky Human and their online help is like a maze in a horror movie where any exit brings you back to the same place.

They've offered me the upgrade from Sky+ to SkyQ with no set-up fees and keeping my current package, but nowhere do they mention if there are extra monthly fees. I also have phone and broadband with them. Anyone know?

Got the same offer. There's no additional monthly fees, that's what they mean by keep current package. You just have to recontract for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

How was this offer made?
    Post, email, etc...

I might be interested in moving from sky+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A new LNB is needed...make sure it's a hybrid LNB so that any Freesat/FTA boxes still work (keep the current LNB as a spare).

Not sure how or if the EPG and recordings will continue to fully work on the Sky+ box.

All Sky Q boxes belong to Sky and must be returned if you unsubscribe after contract ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭maik3n

I think this offer is still active.
    Sky Ultimate TV at €30 per month for 12 months

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058110511

You may even get a better deal OP since you have phone and broadband with them.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    A new LNB is needed...make sure it's a hybrid LNB so that any Freesat/FTA boxes still work (keep the current LNB as a spare).

Not sure how or if the EPG and recordings will continue to fully work on the Sky+ box.

All Sky Q equipment belongs to Sky (dish and LNB are yours) and must be returned if you unsubscribe after contract ends.
    Unfortunately, your recordings won't work once you upgrade to SKY Q.
    Well, OK, technically speaking they can work.
    You will need to open a brand new account though in a different name/address and pair your new card with the old box.

SKY do not allow you to have SKY Q and SKY +/Sky+HD on the same premises. It's against their T & C.
    So the OP will have to make a tough decision on whether to sacrifice their old box and recordings for the privilege of upgrading to SKY Q.

It sucks that SKY won't allow both but I guess they have their reasons. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

maik3n wrote: »

It sucks that SKY won't allow both but I guess they have their reasons. :p

It sucks that they will not allow the customer to transfer recordings from one Sky System to the new one.

That is the minimum one would expect from a responsible, customer oriented company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We got this offer in the post this am.

What is involved in installation?
    What is LNB ? (mentioned above)

Do we need to give Sky back the Sky+ box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We got this offer in the post this am.

What is involved in installation?
    What is LNB ? (mentioned above)

Do we need to give Sky back the Sky+ box ?
    A friend recently upgraded to SkyQ, Sky installed a new dish with a new lnb, (cone part at the end of the arm pointing at the dish) . I had advised him to request a Hybrid lnb, which they did, this allows him use a FTA receiver in the kitchen. They left him with the old dish and receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

ArrBee wrote: »
    How was this offer made?
    Post, email, etc...

By post. But you might be able to check into your account and see if the offers there.

Thanks for the replies everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

My Sky+HD box went haywire last Friday. Turned off-&-on per their routine. Finally said "Card problem." Reinserted. Back on track.

FFwd to Mon or Tues - aforementioned offer for SkyQ w/ free install arrives in the post.
    ("Offer ends 31 December 2020. Offer only available to recipients of this mail.")
    I have not (yet?) responded.

"Coincidentally"(?), Sky+HD has gone haywire tonight Thurs)... Same as last week: Turned off... waited... turned back on ...screen comes up with Please Wait Sky+HD ("576p 50Hz" briefly displayed in upper rt corner). I wait........ screen goes black.
    Rinse, repeat, many, many times... (Never came up with "card problem" message.) Black. No service.

Are they messing with me to "encourage" me to upgrade to Q?
    Does all the installation work take place at the LNB? or will they run new cables, etc?
    I can't believe we have to sacrifice our saved programs, etc!
    Is voice control required? I don't want voice control. (1984!)
    Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭maik3n

VeeEmmy wrote: »
    My Sky+HD box went haywire last Friday. Turned off-&-on per their routine. Finally said "Card problem." Reinserted. Back on track.

FFwd to Mon or Tues - aforementioned offer for SkyQ w/ free install arrives in the post.
    ("Offer ends 31 December 2020. Offer only available to recipients of this mail.")
    I have not (yet?) responded.

"Coincidentally"(?), Sky+HD has gone haywire tonight Thurs)... Same as last week: Turned off... waited... turned back on ...screen comes up with Please Wait Sky+HD ("576p 50Hz" briefly displayed in upper rt corner). I wait........ screen goes black.
    Rinse, repeat, many, many times... (Never came up with "card problem" message.) Black. No service.

Are they messing with me to "encourage" me to upgrade to Q?
    Does all the installation work take place at the LNB? or will they run new cables, etc?
    I can't believe we have to sacrifice our saved programs, etc!
    Is voice control required? I don't want voice control. (1984!)
    Grrr.
    hehe, I'd like to think that it is just an unfortunate coincidence that your sky+HD box has gone wonky, lol. :P

The sky engineer will install a new hybrid lnb and run the 2 cables required for the SKY q box.
    They will pair your existing or new card with the sky q box and off you go. :D

• Advertisement

maik3n wrote: »
    hehe, I'd like to think that it is just an unfortunate coincidence that your sky+HD box has gone wonky, lol. :P

The sky engineer will install a new hybrid lnb and run the 2 cables required for the SKY q box.
    They will pair your existing or new card with the sky q box and off you go. :D

Thanks very much, Maik3n. I'd LIKE to think it's an unfortunate coincidence too...
    Thanks for the install details. So they'll need to tromp thru the attic again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I regret the day I switched to sky Q.

There is no manual recording facility on sky Q which is a real pain.

Interesting. So how do you record something that becomes interesting in the middle of a program?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

With Sky Q can you manually tune in the ITV etc. channels in the same way as with Sky+HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

1641 wrote: »
    With Sky Q can you manually tune in the ITV etc. channels in the same way as with Sky+HD?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elias79

ArrBee wrote: »
    How was this offer made?
    Post, email, etc...

I received a phone call from sky on Thursday with this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You can, You just press record. Unless I misunderstood your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

JPA wrote: »
    You can, You just press record. Unless I misunderstood your post.

Does he mean you can’t rewind in a recording programme like you could in Sky Plus?
    If you switch stations to a recording programme rewind does nothing.

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Does he mean you can’t rewind in a recording programme like you could in Sky Plus?
    If you switch stations to a recording programme rewind does nothing.

You could never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

JPA wrote: »
    You could never do that.

You could with Sky Plus. I think overall Sky Q could be just a bit more user friendly.

• Advertisement

Qprmeath wrote: »
    You could with Sky Plus. I think overall Sky Q could be just a bit more user friendly.

Ok, I get ya, well you can still just go to your recordings and start the show you are recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

I would be interested in this too, can you watch in a second room and use magic eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

ahbell wrote: »
    Got the same offer. There's no additional monthly fees, that's what they mean by keep current package. You just have to recontract for 12 months.

Are there additional monthly fees after the 12 months are up?
    Also does the stupid HD subscription still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Are there additional monthly fees after the 12 months are up?
    Also does the stupid HD subscription still apply?

Nothing additional after the 12 months - they don't change your subscription at all.

Advertisement