Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv with free sat built in

• 16-03-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking for a tv for the bedroom , something around the 28 -32 max in size.

Are there TV ‘s out there with free sat built into them .

If so is there any particular brand ye would recommend that is easy to toggle between saorview and free sat.

Budget would be €200 to €300 mark

Thanks
    Barr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not Freesat but Free to Air satellite

24" - https://powercity.ie/groups/10/11/589
    28"-32" - https://powercity.ie/groups/10/12/603

I would recommend Toshiba over Walker, even though they are both Vestel based.

All channels, both Saorview and Satellite, in a single list. Satellite channels start at 300. Satellite channels can be organised the way you want and backed up to USB, edited on a PC and shared with other Vestel based models. Smart TV models have one button Netflix access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

The Cush wrote: »

All channels, both Saorview and Satellite, in a single list. Satellite channels start at 300. Satellite channels can be organised the way you want and backed up to USB, edited on a PC and shared with other Vestel based models. Smart TV models have one button Netflix access.

That Toshiba looks good for €249, I'll have to look for it closer to Cork as there is no Power City in Munster.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Barr wrote: »
    That Toshiba looks good for €249, I'll have to look for it closer to Cork as there is no Power City in Munster.

Will be sold your nearest Euronics store.

The Cush wrote: »

I would also agree but the 2 year warranty that comes with Walker as opposed to the 1 year with the Toshiba is usually the difference for customers of our Shop that has a choice between the two.:)

Navarre wrote: »
    Will be sold your nearest Euronics store.

Just had a look at the euronics website, surprised to see they don't mention or have a satellite tuner filter option, e.g. my TV https://euronics.ie/product/toshiba-43-4k-smart-tv-43t6863db/, while having a DVD combi filter option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

You want an LG with Freesat Built In. FTA is a head wrecker with channels changing frequency all the time

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=8585682&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kev111

Yes the LG with built in channels is just brilliant.. I know damm all about set up and sat boxes.. Bought an LG few weeks ago in Harvey Norman.. 369 euro for a 43 inch.. Just plugged it in, connected it direct to dish, searched, and in a few minds she was locked and loaded.. The TV that is..

ei9go wrote: »
    You want an LG with Freesat Built In. FTA is a head wrecker with channels changing frequency all the time

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=8585682&authToken=

Always thought FTA and freesat were the same thing .... learn something new everyday :)

I have an old sky box upstairs that has 101 BBC, 102 BBC 2 etc. Was hoping for similar through a tv

Doing a bit on research on LG'S now

Would ye reckon of this one , seems good price

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-32lk6100-32-smart-hdr-led-tv-10178870-pdt.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,406 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wouldn't be afraid of Free to Air. Frequency changes are only occasional, not all the time, and there are plenty of sources for frequency information. And if you are a typical viewer, you might only watch a few different channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

I also just bought an LG TV with Freesat but in setup I put in Ireland as country and Freesat not available only FTA
    If I change country to UK will I get Freesat
    Model is 55UK6400PLF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Freesat only works in the UK??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

If I put in UK as country should I not get Freesat like a Humax box by putting in an UK Postcode?

Always thought FTA and freesat were the same thing .... learn something new everyday :)

I have an old sky box upstairs that has 101 BBC, 102 BBC 2 etc. Was hoping for similar through a tv

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-32lk6100-32-smart-hdr-led-tv-10178870-pdt.html

If your going to go for an lg then bare in mind you will have 6-7 button presses to move from Irish to UK channels and visa versa. The channels wont be on the same list or menu. With Freesat TVs I would highly recommend the Panasonic Freesat TVs https://powercity.ie/groups/10/12/10792,603 and all you will have to do is press the TV button on the remote to switch between Irish and UK channels.

Toshiba,Walker,Nordmende will have all the channels on the same screen but are FTA TVs and channels will change frequencies but its not to hard to re tune them and re order the channels. My personal preference between the 3 would be Toshiba.

Panasonic and LG will have Freesat Tuners and once a British postcode is entered into either TV the channels will automatically be re ordered but again the Irish and UK channels wont be all together on the same screen and its just a Press of the TV button on Panasonic remote will move from Irish to UK and its about 6 presses on LG remote to move from Irish to UK channels although i do believe that you can put Irish and UK in favorites on the Lg. My personal preference between the two would be Panasonic.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

fryup wrote: »
    Freesat only works in the UK??
    If I put in UK as country should I not get Freesat like a Humax box by putting in an UK Postcode?

FreeSat is proprietary software that organises the channels and supplies a 7-day EPG among other functions. TVs or boxes with Freesat branded software use a UK postcode to determine which UK region you want. E.G. a Scottish postcode would give you BBC Scotland, STV etc.
    Free to air (FTA) TV's or boxes use the same satellite signals but do not have the Freesat software to help organise things. It should be noted there are a lot more free channels available than those willing to pay to be included in the FreeSat EPG. Most notably Channel4 HD and many +1 channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Switching from Terrestrial to Satellite on LG TVs can be done via Quick Access
    https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/webOS-3-5-quick-access
    Set RTE1 to "1" and BBC1 to "2"
    Then long press 1 for terrestrial and long press 2 for satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You can also set hdmi sources and players to the quick keys.
    I have rte 2 on button 1 (tv's tuner)
    Freesat box on button 2
    Chromecast on button 3
    Iplayer on button 4
    All4 on button 5

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

I also just bought an LG TV with Freesat but in setup I put in Ireland as country and Freesat not available only FTA
    If I change country to UK will I get Freesat
    Model is 55UK6400PLF

Yes, change away

The vast majority of +1 channels are on freesat.
    The bbc doesn't have +1 channels but if you have the iplayer functioning you can watch a programme from the start (right upto when the programme has finished). It is much handier than a +1 channel.

Itv, c4, c5 and others all have +1 channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There’s a shortcut on the LG

Watching Satellite- guide then red button scroll up to antenna

Watching antenna- guide then red button scroll down satellite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Kev111 wrote:
    Yes the LG with built in channels is just brilliant.. I know damm all about set up and sat boxes.. Bought an LG few weeks ago in Harvey Norman.. 369 euro for a 43 inch.. Just plugged it in, connected it direct to dish, searched, and in a few minds she was locked and loaded.. The TV that is..

Did you have to buy a stand separately for the tv in Harvey Norman ?

• Advertisement

Do these tellys have a record function ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

That will be fine. Just select UK at setup and enter a postcode of whatever BBC/ITV region you want as your 101 channel.
    Saorview will install at channel 800 and you just edit the channels numbers into the correct order.
    Don't under any circumstances be convinced to buy a FTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Do these tellys have a record function ??

Most new TVs have a PVR option. You just need to buy an external hardrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

its unlikely you will get a freesat tuner on a 32 inch tv

re the Toshiba mentioned earlier -it available in richersounds with a six year warranty in fact they have two models one is HD ready the other is full hd

Noting the above on a 32 inch is full hd worth the extra £30 ? all other specs are the same

I stand corrected the LG32LK6100 has a freesat tuner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

€249 for a 32" Smart Full HD TV with Saoview & Freesat is an excellent price. They are usually around the 400 mark. I have a 2015 LG model (LF630V)

Did anybody buy the above 32 inch LG Model 32LK6100PLB with built in freesat tuner?

I bought it at €249 from Curries , set it up last weekend. Hugely impressed for the price. Picture is amazing as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

I bought it at €249 from Curries , set it up last weekend. Hugely impressed for the price. Picture is amazing as well.

So did I Happy so far tried recording to USB Drive today worked fine

Lads for those who are using the freesat tuner set to Uk and Saorview as well with the channels in the 800s / can you reorder the terrestrial channels

• Advertisement

I have an LG tv and use the tv's terrestrial tuner for saorview. You can rearrange the channels.
    You can also put channels on hotkeys, e.g. long press 1 = rte 1, 2 = rte 2, etc.

I have now tv, iplayer and chromecast set to hotkeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I have an LG tv and use the tv's terrestrial tuner for saorview. You can rearrange the channels.
    You can also put channels on hotkeys, e.g. long press 1 = rte 1, 2 = rte 2, etc.

I have now tv, iplayer and chromecast set to hotkeys.

I renumbered my terrestrial channels fine. However I constantly get told that the DTT channels have changed and a rescan should be done (can't recall the exact message) when I first go to the Irish channels, especially RTE2 it seems. If I say yes then it drops all the channels and renumbering. So I just say no. Using Maghera for DTT.

You ever see that?

MBSnr wrote: »
    I renumbered my terrestrial channels fine. However I constantly get told that the DTT channels have changed and a rescan should be done (can't recall the exact message) when I first go to the Irish channels, especially RTE2 it seems. If I say yes then it drops all the channels and renumbering. So I just say no. Using Maghera for DTT.

You ever see that?
    I have a Panasonic Freeview recorder with the Saorview channels initially stored in the 800s which I've reordered from LCN 1 onwards. That message does appear on occasion, just the nature of the beast for UK setup receivers used with Saorview.

I receive the same message. I just say no. I rarely watch saorview now so it doesn't bother me.

The now tv app is working well for me. It seems to have updated recently. Very handy to have on the tv.

Another separate thing - this evening I connected my chromecast directly to the tv's usb port, instead of it being plugged in separately.

This means I don't have to get up now to plug the chromecast in and out, as I was afraid it would use too much data. Now once I power off the tv on the remote the chromecast switches off too, so it is only using data while the tv is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

MBSnr wrote: »

You ever see that?

Is there an option to turn off LCN update in the menu ?

Settings > All Settings > Programmes > Programme Tuning & Settings > Programme List Update (Switch Off)

Do it after you have renumbered.

Did that but info comes up saying it could affect changes in programmes. Affect recording if the epg data changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Did that but info comes up saying it could affect changes in programmes. Affect recording if the epg data changes?

If the channel ever moves frequency, maybe! How likely is that to happen ever on terrestrial Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

STB. wrote: »
    Is there an option to turn off LCN update in the menu ?

Settings > All Settings > Programmes > Programme Tuning & Settings > Programme List Update (Switch Off)

Do it after you have renumbered.

Thanks. Turned it on, but the message still came up. I can live with it, as like others I rarely watch the Irish channels on this TV anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Bought this TV for my Dad back at Christmas. Perfect for Saorview/Free To Air Sat. He's happy with it. Lots of smart apps also; netflix, RTE player, IPTV etc.
    €249 is a great price

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wouldn't be afraid of Free to Air. Frequency changes are only occasional, not all the time, and there are plenty of sources for frequency information. And if you are a typical viewer, you might only watch a few different channels.
    FreeSat means channels changes just happen.

But more importantly you get a full EPG instead of just Now and Next. It's handy.

The big trick is making sure you can setup channels such that you can switch between RTE and BBC without having to press a load of extra buttons.

Bought the TV over the weekend too replace a 10 year old Philips which died on me didn't realise how small a 32 inch is now compared to before and did a quick set up - didn't have too much time to fully master the operation plus I need to get my dish realigned as the sat tuner wasn't picking up the freesat channels

just to clarify for freesat to work - country setting must be UK

if Country setting is UK - saorview channels and data channels all pulled in and no order

so my initial question is how can I just have the 7 saorview channels in a simplified order - happy to have them in the 800s

how can I easily go from saorview to sat?

thank you

Thanks again guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

kooga wrote: »

so my initial question is how can I just have the 7 saorview channels in a simplified order - happy to have them in the 800s

how can I easily go from saorview to sat

I think there should be a facility in the channel edit menus to renumber the Irish channel's as you want them, 1,2,3.............. Similarly you should be able to just rearrange them together.

For switching try holding the no1 button while on the Irish channel's and it may let you save the channel to that number. Try the same process using no2 button while you have a sat channel on.
    Afterwards a long press of either 1 or 2 may switch.
    It doesn't work all the time but worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭decor58

Do you any experience of the WALKER smart centre app. I have downloaded the app, on the plus side the channel listing mirrors my channel set up on a 24WPS19P, (Saorview and Sat), i.e. in the order I have set up, it allows me move the Sat channels on the TV to lower numbers 7,8,9, etc, and the app shows a 3 day epg. On the downside some of the features don't appear to work, the Virgin listings don't update, all the others RTE, BBC, ITV etc all do, when a programme is selected there is a record option but it does not work. The app looks like it has loads of potential but needs some fine tuning, there is a similar app for Toshiba, so I presume its a modified Vestel app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

I purchased this 4K TV from Argos the other day, fantastic picture quality, tons of apps and all the Freeview catch-up services loaded into the EPG and menu. Comes with buttons on the remote for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and has the Now TV & Sky Store aps as well. FreeSat input as well for those that need it, you can record to USB, Saorview is supported, built in bluetooth and wifi and can be synced and controlled with Alexa and has a handy phone app for quickly showing pictures and videos from your phone on the TV. A fantastic TV and also surprisingly a very cheap price at £349.99 or €429.00. Probably cheaper to get in the north if you're close to the border as it's working our around €30 odd cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PFMC84 wrote: »
    I purchased this 4K TV from Argos the other day, fantastic picture quality, tons of apps and all the Freeview catch-up services loaded into the EPG and menu. Comes with buttons on the remote for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and has the Now TV & Sky Store aps as well. FreeSat input as well for those that need it, you can record to USB, Saorview is supported, built in bluetooth and wifi and can be synced and controlled with Alexa and has a handy phone app for quickly showing pictures and videos from your phone on the TV. A fantastic TV and also surprisingly a very cheap price at £349.99 or €429.00. Probably cheaper to get in the north if you're close to the border as it's working our around €30 odd cheaper.

Looks good!
    Does it have an ethernet RJ45 socket or is it only connected via wifi?
    Is Kodi available in its apps?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Have LG upgraded their software to allow direct swintching from FTA to Terrestrial and vice versa?
    With my older LG it took about 10 button pushes to go from BBC1 to RTE1...

Toshiba is more straightforward...channel 1 and up is terrestrial, channel 300 and up is FTA. Just select the channel number ya want and that's it.

so what TV makes have all channels on one list...

Walker, Toshiba any else?

so what TV makes have all channels on one list...

Walker, Toshiba any else?

Nordmende

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Looks good!
    Does it have an ethernet RJ45 socket or is it only connected via wifi?
    Is Kodi available in its apps?

Thanks.

Mine is connected by RJ45 to the router.

I haven't checked for Kodi in their app store but considering the heat around it and what people really use it for, I don't think you'll find any TV manufacturer offering it in their app store. Best to use your phone/connected USB device to install it on to.

I used the TV a lot over the weekend and watched Glastonbury - delighted with my purchase

thanks for the tip on the quick access
    1 = saorview
    2 = freesat
    3 = Now tv
    4 = tv Guide

what make & model?

• Advertisement
Advertisement