Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Saorview Antenna

Options
  • 19-10-2020 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a situation where I'm trying to help somebody to get better signal to view RTE. Only thing is that they cannot mount anything on the outside of the building. There is a window that faces the direction of the signal so I was going to try to get the best indoor antenna and see if it would work.

Can anybody suggest the best indoor antenna for this purpose?

regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Cheapest possible from a Euro store. You know one that looks like an aerial not a sheet of plastic. Defiantly nothing with an amplifier built in.

Out of interest why can they not mount anything outside? If it is rented that is unreasonable unless the landlord provides a communal feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Hi,

I have a situation where I'm trying to help somebody to get better signal to view RTE. Only thing is that they cannot mount anything on the outside of the building. There is a window that faces the direction of the signal so I was going to try to get the best indoor antenna and see if it would work.

Can anybody suggest the best indoor antenna for this purpose?

regards,

Indoor reception is hit and miss, as it relies on many factors. As Winston_1 suggests, you could try one from a euro store, just to see if you can get a signal indoors. You need to try different antenna heights, locations and direction an orientation (horizontal/vertical). (Ideally you should use the Saorview checker to check the direction and orientation of your local transmitter.)
    Ideally you should use a meter to check coverage. Alternatively, it would help you greatly if the tv were already tuned in to a channel on your local transmitter. That way all you have to worry about is finding the best position for the aerial.

If you get a signal, you can then consider the most suitable antenna type. Modern indoor antenna come in all shapes and sizes and some are easy to hide/disguise. If it were me I'd be looking at something like this one from Amazon. (I haven't tried it, so can't promise. :))

winston_1 wrote: »
    Defiantly nothing with an amplifier built in.

Amplifiers are an effective part of modern active antennas and help achieve the necessary bandwidth and impedance matching.

Years ago we were all taught that signal amplification was only effective before long cable runs (e.g. using a masthead amplifier to boost uk channels). That advice still holds with discrete amplifiers, where using them at the consumer end is not recommended. (The rationale being that the noise floor of the equipment front end should be superior to that of the amplifier.)

Amplifiers are an effective part of modern active antennas and help achieve the necessary bandwidth and impedance matching.

Years ago we were all taught that signal amplification was only effective before long cable runs (e.g. using a masthead amplifier to boost uk channels). That advice still holds with discrete amplifiers, where using them at the consumer end is not recommended. (The rationale being that the noise floor of the equipment front end should be superior to that of the amplifier.)

I don't agree with your first sentence at all . Amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity and always have been. Bandwidth and impedance matching can be achieved by correct aerial design.

Your second paragraph is correct and still applies to this day.

Indoor reception is hit and miss, as it relies on many factors. As Winston_1 suggests, you could try one from a euro store, just to see if you can get a signal indoors. You need to try different antenna heights, locations and direction an orientation (horizontal/vertical). (Ideally you should use the Saorview checker to check the direction and orientation of your local transmitter.)
    Ideally you should use a meter to check coverage. Alternatively, it would help you greatly if the tv were already tuned in to a channel on your local transmitter. That way all you have to worry about is finding the best position for the aerial.

If you get a signal, you can then consider the most suitable antenna type. Modern indoor antenna come in all shapes and sizes and some are easy to hide/disguise. If it were me I'd be looking at something like this one from Amazon. (I haven't tried it, so can't promise. :))

The shape and size of an aerial depends on the frequency being received not prettiness. Which one from Amazon.

• Advertisement

winston_1 wrote: »
    I don't agree with your first sentence at all . Amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity and always have been. Bandwidth and impedance matching can be achieved by correct aerial design.

If you say so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Indoor-TV-Aerial-Maxview-Truvision-Antenna-Freeview-Digital-and-HDTV-Com/223103154139?hash=item33f1fbf7db:g:bqQAAOSw8htbcxa2

I can only speak from my own experience but i use the above for reception - based in Rush 35 odd KM from 3Rock

Aerial is:
    • Directional
    • Can be configured for Horizontal or Vertical
    • Un-amplified
    • has about 2m of basic cable

TBH i have always been very impressed with the reception i get from it, considering the distance i am from the Mast - definitely NOT line of sight at all. Philips TV reads signal as 'Good: Two Bars' - and Triple Tuner running Vix reads it as 'Perfect Quality 98%, middling Strength 50-65%, 0 BER' (bit error rate)

The only interference i get occurs if i have certain appliances on in the Kitchen, and even then it is just bits of light pixelization - other than that it works fine

NOTE: I had to google it, and it seems more expensive than i paid for it - but genuinely recommend it assuming you have a window facing in the general direction of your mast. I bolted mine to the windowsill to avoid it falling or being moved

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Thanks guys, landlord doesn't want anything mounted on the outside. We're gonna try indoor first. My experience has been the same (being hit and miss) but I want to give it a shot.

that one looks like what I'm looking for Liam, I'll buy it and see how it goes.

Thanks guys, landlord doesn't want anything mounted on the outside.

He is unreasonable then. He should provide a communal system.

Advertisement