Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE1 - different channel numbers

• 30-09-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭

So I bought a new Freeview box and did a scan and it picked up all the Freeview and Saorview channels with RTE1 listed at 859. The old Freeview box I was replacing had RTE1 on 802.

Can anyone explain why it shows up at different numbers on different boxes? Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

On my Samsung TV, using UK as the country RTÉ One is on 860

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Freeview boxes list what it considers "foreign channels" in the 800's in the order the box finds them during a scan rather than using any logical channel number (LCN) because there could be a conflict with the "correct" UK LCN numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Does the particular box not permit you to shift channels to a different channel number? Also what is the make of your new box and of your previous box. Both my TVs (Sony) and my PVRs (Panasonic) have Mux 1 channels e.g. RTE1/RTE1+1/RTE2+1etc all over the place and well down the epg i.e. in 800s with higher nos while Mux 2 e.g. RTE2/RTE News/TG4 are in higher epg spots with lower nos near 800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Freeview boxes list what it considers "foreign channels" in the 800's in the order the box finds them during a scan rather than using any logical channel number (LCN) because there could be a conflict with the "correct" UK LCN numbers
    Thanks for that. Im not into all the technical stuff but would the channels not all be in the same order (broadcast order??) when scanning regardless of what device that is used for scanning?

Hope that question makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

muffler wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Im not into all the technical stuff but would the channels not all be in the same order (broadcast order??) when scanning regardless of what device that is used for scanning?

Some Freeview boxes are locked to UK as the region and will therefore place all the out of region channels in the 800s in order as they are found by default as per their DTT specification, i.e. they ignore the saorview LCN order. Some boxes will allow you to move them out of the 800s, others not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Also what is the make of your new box and of your previous box.
    I had a Hitachi HDR5T01 and I bought this Manhatten T2-R box

Damned thing is the old box has decided to work again but it could stop again any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

muffler wrote: »

The blank/dud 'channels' that exist on Saorview transmissions (for whatever reason) are probably the reason why RTE might appear on 859/860 rather than the low-800s on some UK Freeview receivers.

These blank/dud channels are hidden on Saorview approved receivers, but on some non-Saorview receivers they can cause dozens of 'empty' channels on lower numbers than actual TV channels causing needless increased hassle for viewers who have purchased them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Antenna wrote: »
    The blank/dud 'channels' that exist on Saorview transmissions (for whatever reason) are probably the reason why RTE might appear on 859/860 rather than the low-800s on some UK Freeview receivers.

These blank/dud channels are hidden on Saorview approved receivers, but on some non-Saorview receivers they can cause dozens of 'empty' channels on lower numbers than actual TV channels causing needless increased hassle for viewers who have purchased them.

Yes this is a pain for viewers like me up north. These blank channels take up a channel space and I end up having to delete them all on my 2 Sony TVs so I can go straight from last proper Saorview channel to first Freeview one after shifting all the Saorview channels to their positions higher up in 800s.

Advertisement