Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl logs, 10kg for €3.99

• 12-11-2013 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Saw these earlier, look like condensed chipboard but would say they burn like bejaysus. Not sure if it counts as a bargain but look like they could be fairly handy for the coming Winter. Looked like there were 6 "logs" per pack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Aldi do them for 3.99 as well but with 8 in the pack.

You're right, they do burn like bejaysus.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Would a bale of briquettes for about the same price be better value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Would a bale of briquettes for about the same price be better value?

Yes, a bale briquettes is 12.5kg and very slightly higher calorific value. The compressed logs are just 0.7% ash though so burn away to almost nothing.

Briquettes ~ 67kwh / bale, Compressed logs ~ 49kwh / 10kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm generally a lover of Aldi, but be careful of logs and kindling from them.

Bought both last year, both put the fire out, they seemed to have been pretty damp or just crap wood.

Bought both last year, both put the fire out, they seemed to have been pretty damp or just crap wood.

The normal logs are a waste of time. The manufactured logs in aldi ones are hetas certified and very highly compressed.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    Briquettes ~ 67kwh / 12.5kg bale, Compressed logs ~ 49kwh / 10kg

I presume they're harder to light than a briquette as well?

Good point about the ash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I burn them in a Kingstar stove and find these logs burn longer and give off better more consistent heat than briquettes. Tiny amount of ash as well as mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Yip - found this also, measured 35% on the moister meter

So based on those calorific values and taking weight into account, the Aldi logs would be worthwhile at a price point at or below €3.65?

I presume they're harder to light than a briquette as well?

Good point about the ash.

They're harder to light alright, I get briquettes for €3.66 a bale at the moment so the aldi logs would have to be 3.66 x (49/67) = €2.68 for the same energy per euro.

With regard to the briquettes not lasting as long a briquette is only about 550g so you needs lots of them for the same energy as a few logs can seem like you're using loads, also briquettes would burn at a lower temperature due to their composition and the insulating properties of the ash so if you're trying to achieve the same temperature with briquettes you're probably using lots of excess air.

You're right of course Paddyp. I was incorrectly factoring in the weight difference. Amended my post above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

You know there's a recession on when lads are measuring the moisture content of wood.

You're right of course Paddyp. I was incorrectly factoring in the weight difference. Amended my post above.

If you only want the fire on for a blast of heat or (keeping the wife happy like my brother:p) then I think the wood logs are great.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    You know there's a recession on when lads are measuring the moisture content of wood.

It would be a given in most countries. Green timber is about half the heat output or even much worse for sometimbers and hardwoods see graph, lots of unscrupulous people out there selling soggy timber and basically nicking your money. Then you have the problems of creosote and condensation in the chimney, chimney fires and soot falls etc.

calorific-value-graph.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

Ian Whelan wrote: »

people like to know what they burning in the stoves or ranges regardless of a recession or not . damp wet firewood can harm a stove or range and will also create condensation in the flue too which is not good for a stovesor ranges performance .
    i wont burn any wood that is over 19% moisture content .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭OldRio

Any recommendations for a moisture meter for the wood?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

OldRio wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a moisture meter for the wood?

12 euro in aldi for a digital moisture meter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭OldRio

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    12 euro in aldi for a digital moisture meter .

Thanks for that.
    I have plenty of wood cut but I think it will not be ready until next winter.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Yes, a bale briquettes is 12.5kg and very slightly higher calorific value. The compressed logs are just 0.7% ash though so burn away to almost nothing.

No worries, saw them and they looked a good deal so figured I'd give them a mention here :)

TBH I'd never have thought to compare them to briquettes.

Assumed there'd be longevity in them as they looked so condensed but then again briquettes are probably far more condensed than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

This winter coal seems to be running at about E12 per 10kg. bag and E42 for 40kg (quick scan of providers in Dublin) and peat briquettes at up to E5 per bale. Which is best calorific value? Ash is not a big problem and will be burning in open fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

PMBC wrote: »
    This winter coal seems to be running at about E12 per 10kg. bag and E42 for 40kg (quick scan of providers in Dublin) and peat briquettes at up to E5 per bale. Which is best calorific value? Ash is not a big problem and will be burning in open fire.

If your burning them on an open fire don’t be worrying about anything only buy the cheapest you can get. All the heat is going up the chimney anyway.

Actually, rolls of €5’s would be handier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I got caught out buying a 40kg bag of broken briquettes from B&Q for €17.99 ( approximately) which looked to be fairly OK value. Until I was wheeling my purchase out the door of B&Q and saw that they had 6 bales ( 6x12.5 = 75 kg) for €25.

Have to say I still love the broken briquettes for the fire, I must buy a few bales of briquettes and break them up into the empty bag. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

wNp891wNp891just discovered coal briquettes, they are great value, 40 kg for €11
    used 4 with a few stick and sprinkle of coal, stove is going for 12 hours now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭jc77

OmegaGene wrote: »
    wNp891wNp891just discovered coal briquettes, they are great value, 40 kg for €11

where? lidl?

jc77 wrote: »
    where? lidl?

Nah the chatter went onto briquettes elsewhere so thought i would mention it
    Fuel merchant in Mitchelstown Co. Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I presume Union Coal briquettes - been available a long time.

Burn quicker than coal, slower than peat briquettes.

Look for BNM "household" coal. Usually about €14/40kg and a great middle ground fuel esp for open fires

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They're lignite (brown coal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Nah the chatter went onto briquettes elsewhere so thought i would mention it
    Fuel merchant in Mitchelstown Co. Cork

Which one?

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I presume Union Coal briquettes - been available a long time.

Burn quicker than coal, slower than peat briquettes.

Look for BNM "household" coal. Usually about €14/40kg and a great middle ground fuel esp for open fires

These are REKORD
    And they don’t burn quicker than coal, 4 lasted me 12 hours like I said
    Never seen briquettes like these, I’m not normally a fan of briquettes for the lack of gear from them and they just make a mess
    For €11 these seem like a great bargain getting 2 bales and they will last me a week easily

Star fuels Mitchelstown they are on Facebook and they have a picture of them

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cantona_deux

Bought these a few years back and burn much better than the LIDl/Aldi ones http://www.flamers.ie available in Mr Price stores as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

OmegaGene wrote:

Can't see them on their Facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can't see them on their Facebook page

I couldn't find the post either and I couldn't see it on there Clonmel Facebook either. Unless it was an old post.

It’s not a post as such it’s just a pic where you can see the coal briqqussttes
    Really dark and solid looking, nothing like regular briquettes

Give then a call if in doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

Flamers, compacted chipboard mixed with glue.I would not touch it with a barge-pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

How many coal briquettes are in the bale for €11?

• Advertisement

This is what he gave me

This is what he gave me

I'm seeing 2 by 40KG bales and count 45 briquettes in each. So I'm guessing you will get close to 2 weeks out of one bale depending on how long you want your stove to burn on a given night. Looks like great value just bought a ton of smokless ovoids which work out at €13.50 per 20 KG bag.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I'm seeing 2 by 40KG bales and count 45 briquettes in each. So I'm guessing you will get close to 2 weeks out of one bale depending on how long you want your stove to burn on a given night. Looks like great value just bought a ton of smokless ovoids which work out at €13.50 per 20 KG bag.

They are savage value, I’m burning hardly anything in the small stove it is great

How are the ovoids ? I’ve heard good things about them
    Did you get them from the north ?

They are savage value, I’m burning hardly anything in the small stove it is great

How are the ovoids ? I’ve heard good things about them
    Did you get them from the north ?

Got the Ovoids from Coal Warehouse. A ton usually lasts me two years. Very happy with them. They give off a good level of heat and there is vey little ash in the tray the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Would the coal briquettes be suitable for an open fire ?

Costs me € 18 atm for a 40 kg bag of coal, which is only lasts about 4 or 5
    days :(

• Advertisement

They would be okay yes, open fire is going to use more of any fuel
    Try a mix, bed of briquettes and then a block of timber

Would like to try these coal breq,'s. Has anyone seen them for sale In Cork City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

They would be okay yes, open fire is going to use more of any fuel
    Try a mix, bed of briquettes and then a block of timber
    Thanks. Not far from Mitchelstown & will pick some up tomorrow.

trixiebust wrote: »
    Would the coal briquettes be suitable for an open fire ?

Costs me € 18 atm for a 40 kg bag of coal, which is only lasts about 4 or 5
    days :(

Lignite has a lower calcific value than standard black coal and therefore gives out less heat so naturally it's cheaper too. You get what you pay for. It's easier to get to burn than back coal so it is useful for open fires. Usually comes in bags of cubes which I think are handier than briquettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Was interested in this. Goodwin's appear to have coal briquettes also: https://www.goodwins.ie/products/union-coal-briquettes-bale-2310476.html

I think we were told not to burn coal in our stove due to the heat, would these be any different? Inset kingstar stove.

budhabob wrote: »
    Was interested in this. Goodwin's appear to have coal briquettes also: https://www.goodwins.ie/products/union-coal-briquettes-bale-2310476.html

I think we were told not to burn coal in our stove due to the heat, would these be any different? Inset kingstar stove.

In heat output lignite is in-between peat and bituminous coal so you may be able to safely use them in your stove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

These are REKORD
    And they don’t burn quicker than coal, 4 lasted me 12 hours like I said
    Never seen briquettes like these, I’m not normally a fan of briquettes for the lack of gear from them and they just make a mess
    For €11 these seem like a great bargain getting 2 bales and they will last me a week easily

This is what Aldi has been selling for €4.29. Record 10kg. Serious value on lignite. Record are a top German brand. I use them in an open fire with an Eco Grate and I would be a massive fan. A nice bit of ash. But they put out tremendous heat (I get an output of close to 5kw from the eco grate). Light a fire with seasoned wood or kiln dried log or two from Woodies (dear but v good), then once its hot, lay on 3-4 lignite briquettes. Terrific heat. Just a LOT of ash. As is par for the course with peat briquettes.

But very handy to carry at 10kg, very handy to store and a serious contender for best value solid fuel. A fire maintained with Megatherm wood logs (Telfords and others), lignite briquettes and good seasoned logs to keep the (open) fire real and not artificial, and you have a perfect mix I say. Little bit of premium coal or anthracite if you're feeling naughty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

An Ri rua wrote: »
    and a serious contender for best value solid fuel

Might be value for buying in 10kg quantities but 40kg coal will be significantly cheaper per kwh.

Rekord lignite is 5.3kwh/kg so 53kwh per 10kg = 8.09c per kwh. Being very generous and giving the ecograte 50% efficiency = 16.18c per kwh which is more than peak electricity if you shop around and 2x off peak electricity if you install a dualbtarriff meter.

Ecograte is probably lt closer to 40% on average in the real world = 20.22c / kwh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

mine exploded in the stove when i opened the stove door all over the siting room.
    wouldnt trust them, aldi version that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Might be value for buying in 10kg quantities but 40kg coal will be significantly cheaper per kwh.

Rekord lignite is 5.3kwh/kg so 53kwh per 10kg = 8.09c per kwh. Being very generous and giving the ecograte 50% efficiency = 16.18c per kwh which is more than peak electricity if you shop around and 2x off peak electricity if you install a dualbtarriff meter.

Ecograte is probably lt closer to 40% on average in the real world = 20.22c / kwh.

I would dispute that 50% efficiency. I put it closer to 75%. I run it alongside a paraffin Inverter for downstairs (I burn kero with dipetane) and that keeps costs well down.

Plus, if you must have a flame picture, then you a real one is required. IMO.

Yes, I'm just saying that 10Kg packs are a handy size for many. Better value than the same type of lignite product in 40KG bags.

Although, Cosyglo Gems have significantly less ash than Rekord briquettes.

Point taken re off-peak electricity and also a closed stove would be preferable. But its not an option here unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement