Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Kayaking?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

So there's one permanent river where I live and it's either a) a dribble or b) a landslide.

But its the caribbean and we've nothing but miles of coast and perfect sunshine. Atlantic side gets a swell and we surf there. Caribbean side gets, well, drunk tbh.

However, what's a good sea kayak to start with? I'm looking for stability, a dry place to put a climbing rack would be good, and something that that can do 2 or 3 miles of open sea but can push that out to 10 or 12 miles+ with experience. If you look at the link above you'll understand. Possibly a two seater, we'd prefer one seaters as we like our independence, but we're on a budget. Take into mind we'll be getting it from the states too.

In climbing terms, if they make sense to anyone, I'm looking to spend a day on a multi-pitch HS rather than forty minutes a 10m E5 brown-trousers pump-fest. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi Mod / OP.

Not sure what is available in your part of the world - but Valley Aquanaut - I found very stable.

But - I think it might be best to just try out a few different ones in different conditions. Each of us is different - and what one finds great another might not.

If you intend on doing rock hopping / alot of beach landings with big stones then a Polyethylene model is quite sturdy.
    Fiberglass is lighter - and as a result you can pick up good speeds on these, but with this lightness does come a risk of holing it - they are not as forgiving as the Poly's. But on the good side they are meant to be relatively easy to patch.

Maybe also try the sit-on tops - but I have to admit I don't personally like these. I like to feel like the kayak is fitting around me like a glove, so that when I move the boat moves - with little or no delay.

Find someone near you doing lessons or next time you are travelling find someone. Normally kayakers are quite willing to discuss and even let others try their boats - we all gotta learn. So see if you can get some lessons. On the 2nd or 3rd lesson start trying different boats to see what is your fit.

Sea kayaks are normally longer and can come with different full forms.
    My FG has quite a sharp hull - great for cutting thru the waves with speed - but when hit at an angle I do have to work a bit harder - also find it more difficult in surf as a result - but I know I need to work on my edging to fix that.
    Polys then to be a bit rounder - so a bit more primary stability - where you are just sitting upright in the kayak. Waves also tend to roll under it. Can be a bit more pleasant of a ride.
    Also ask about the 2ndary stability - where you edge (hold the boat on its side without tipping over) - ideally get one with good 2nd'ary. This just means that as you are travelling forwards you cock your body to get the kayak to "lean" - it helps in turning faster - and is also used on swells.

Really the best thing though is get out and try try and try - before you buy. Don't rush in - even if it is what you really want to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

doyou have to rub in the fact that you live in the carribean so much???:D:p some of us live a wet cold island at the wrong side of the atlantic . . .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

doyou have to rub in the fact that you live in the carribean so much???:D:p some of us live a wet cold island at the wrong side of the atlantic . . .:(

I agree - do you think we should raise this with the mod???
    Bloody cheek.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't know why but i assumed you lived in ireland ya poxy fecker!! :P

It's definitley a good idea to try out a few boats before you decide what you want, theres nothing worse than an uncomfortable sea kayak i find. Since you're on a budget i wouldnt bother with a 2 seater or fibre glass, pretty all sea kayaks come with 2 or 3 water proof compatments you could stick a climbing rack in. Something along these lines would be good i reckon: http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7432

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i think we deserve an open invitation to visit and be put up free of charge by our wonderful mod. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement