Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello from the new mod.

Options
  • 08-02-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

The category mods, in agreement with the Admins, have asked me to moderate this forum initially. They've done so because I've nearly 10 years experience moderating here on boards, and because of my experineces moderating Outdoor Pursuits (current) and the Scuba Forum (past).

My role here is to:
    • Help get the forum running nice and smoothly.
    • Identify possible moderators from the community as it develops (don't bother putting yourself forward at this stage).
    • Co-mod the forum with new moderator(s) until they get established. At that stage I'll then stand down.

Currently I'm not a paddler and I personally feel that the permanent mod(s) should be established in both the sport and the community in Ireland, where as I am technically an outsider. Please take a minute to read the new forum charter and any comments and suggestions for it, or anything else for that matter, can go in here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

could we have a general discussion thread or would that take away from the rest of the forum? I don't want to start one in case it ruins the forum . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You know what, just go ahead and try stuff and don't ask me. If it's something that isn't really cool I'll let you know, the rules (and my job as Moderator) are really just to keep everything flowing, make sure everybody is getting along, and pretty much protect boards.ie.

Beyond that, its your forum, your community, you'll decide what works best for you.

That being said though, one thread for General Discussion is going to get very unthread like very quickly. Give it a go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

All hail almighty mod.

;)

How long have you been kayaking? (or Canoeing?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Evil Phil wrote: »
    That being said though, one thread for General Discussion is going to get very unthread like very quickly. Give it a go though.

Maybe you're right, might leave it a few weeks/months see how the rest of the forum goes . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi Mod.

Why not take Deep Blue up on their come and try weekends - saw it earlier on their website.
    Am sure Shearwater do something similar.

That is sea kayaking though.
    Personally I prefer the sea to rivers - just the way I am programmed.

Personally I tried it now 2 yrs ago - as an idea for something for me and my wife to get into and enjoy. We both loved it. So much that by 3rd or 4th lesson we invested in kayaks. We went out with Des and his team as they are based on the South side - as simple as that for us.
    Last year was a wash though - wife took ill out there - and I had too many committments & a surgery - all conspiring to keep me off the water. Cannot wait to get out again.

But give it a lash - depending on the weather you get - it is just so different out there. Circling Dalkey Island - looking at the seals - thinking that only an hour ago I was sitting in a stuffy office or stuck in traffic - man - need to get back out there again right now...

Thanks again for setting this up - am sure it will grow from strength to strength and anything that raises the profile of this sport / lifestyle is excellent.

Hey Taltos. I'm based in the Caribbean now (tis a hard life) but we're looking into sea kayaking at the moment. I've just started a new thread actually, what boats do you and your missus have? Seems like a great crowd are involved in Ireland (going on this thread) so I reckon its a new outlet for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Oh man - not there...
    Why not move to Ireland - we have sea - and just so the transition to land is easier - we have loads of rain too...

Was in St Lucia for my honeymoon & marriage yrs ago - well before I got into the kayaking - but wow - jealous as hell right now...

Well hoping you do try it out and find you like it.
    Will add some other comments to the other thread with maybe links to different types of kayaks - there are loads :)

Advertisement