Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl logs, 10kg for €3.99

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,262 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can't see them on their Facebook page

I couldn't find the post either and I couldn't see it on there Clonmel Facebook either. Unless it was an old post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It’s not a post as such it’s just a pic where you can see the coal briqqussttes
    Really dark and solid looking, nothing like regular briquettes

Give then a call if in doubt

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

Flamers, compacted chipboard mixed with glue.I would not touch it with a barge-pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

OmegaGene wrote: »
    wNp891wNp891just discovered coal briquettes, they are great value, 40 kg for €11
    used 4 with a few stick and sprinkle of coal, stove is going for 12 hours now

How many coal briquettes are in the bale for €11?

• Advertisement

This is what he gave me

This is what he gave me

I'm seeing 2 by 40KG bales and count 45 briquettes in each. So I'm guessing you will get close to 2 weeks out of one bale depending on how long you want your stove to burn on a given night. Looks like great value just bought a ton of smokless ovoids which work out at €13.50 per 20 KG bag.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I'm seeing 2 by 40KG bales and count 45 briquettes in each. So I'm guessing you will get close to 2 weeks out of one bale depending on how long you want your stove to burn on a given night. Looks like great value just bought a ton of smokless ovoids which work out at €13.50 per 20 KG bag.

They are savage value, I’m burning hardly anything in the small stove it is great

How are the ovoids ? I’ve heard good things about them
    Did you get them from the north ?

They are savage value, I’m burning hardly anything in the small stove it is great

How are the ovoids ? I’ve heard good things about them
    Did you get them from the north ?

Got the Ovoids from Coal Warehouse. A ton usually lasts me two years. Very happy with them. They give off a good level of heat and there is vey little ash in the tray the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Would the coal briquettes be suitable for an open fire ?

Costs me € 18 atm for a 40 kg bag of coal, which is only lasts about 4 or 5
    days :(

• Advertisement

They would be okay yes, open fire is going to use more of any fuel
    Try a mix, bed of briquettes and then a block of timber

Would like to try these coal breq,'s. Has anyone seen them for sale In Cork City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

They would be okay yes, open fire is going to use more of any fuel
    Try a mix, bed of briquettes and then a block of timber
    Thanks. Not far from Mitchelstown & will pick some up tomorrow.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

trixiebust wrote: »
    Would the coal briquettes be suitable for an open fire ?

Costs me € 18 atm for a 40 kg bag of coal, which is only lasts about 4 or 5
    days :(

Lignite has a lower calcific value than standard black coal and therefore gives out less heat so naturally it's cheaper too. You get what you pay for. It's easier to get to burn than back coal so it is useful for open fires. Usually comes in bags of cubes which I think are handier than briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

Was interested in this. Goodwin's appear to have coal briquettes also: https://www.goodwins.ie/products/union-coal-briquettes-bale-2310476.html

I think we were told not to burn coal in our stove due to the heat, would these be any different? Inset kingstar stove.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

budhabob wrote: »
    Was interested in this. Goodwin's appear to have coal briquettes also: https://www.goodwins.ie/products/union-coal-briquettes-bale-2310476.html

I think we were told not to burn coal in our stove due to the heat, would these be any different? Inset kingstar stove.

In heat output lignite is in-between peat and bituminous coal so you may be able to safely use them in your stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

These are REKORD
    And they don’t burn quicker than coal, 4 lasted me 12 hours like I said
    Never seen briquettes like these, I’m not normally a fan of briquettes for the lack of gear from them and they just make a mess
    For €11 these seem like a great bargain getting 2 bales and they will last me a week easily

Star fuels Mitchelstown they are on Facebook and they have a picture of them

This is what Aldi has been selling for €4.29. Record 10kg. Serious value on lignite. Record are a top German brand. I use them in an open fire with an Eco Grate and I would be a massive fan. A nice bit of ash. But they put out tremendous heat (I get an output of close to 5kw from the eco grate). Light a fire with seasoned wood or kiln dried log or two from Woodies (dear but v good), then once its hot, lay on 3-4 lignite briquettes. Terrific heat. Just a LOT of ash. As is par for the course with peat briquettes.

But very handy to carry at 10kg, very handy to store and a serious contender for best value solid fuel. A fire maintained with Megatherm wood logs (Telfords and others), lignite briquettes and good seasoned logs to keep the (open) fire real and not artificial, and you have a perfect mix I say. Little bit of premium coal or anthracite if you're feeling naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

An Ri rua wrote: »
    and a serious contender for best value solid fuel

Might be value for buying in 10kg quantities but 40kg coal will be significantly cheaper per kwh.

Rekord lignite is 5.3kwh/kg so 53kwh per 10kg = 8.09c per kwh. Being very generous and giving the ecograte 50% efficiency = 16.18c per kwh which is more than peak electricity if you shop around and 2x off peak electricity if you install a dualbtarriff meter.

Ecograte is probably lt closer to 40% on average in the real world = 20.22c / kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I'm generally a lover of Aldi, but be careful of logs and kindling from them.

Bought both last year, both put the fire out, they seemed to have been pretty damp or just crap wood.

mine exploded in the stove when i opened the stove door all over the siting room.
    wouldnt trust them, aldi version that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Might be value for buying in 10kg quantities but 40kg coal will be significantly cheaper per kwh.

Rekord lignite is 5.3kwh/kg so 53kwh per 10kg = 8.09c per kwh. Being very generous and giving the ecograte 50% efficiency = 16.18c per kwh which is more than peak electricity if you shop around and 2x off peak electricity if you install a dualbtarriff meter.

Ecograte is probably lt closer to 40% on average in the real world = 20.22c / kwh.

I would dispute that 50% efficiency. I put it closer to 75%. I run it alongside a paraffin Inverter for downstairs (I burn kero with dipetane) and that keeps costs well down.

Plus, if you must have a flame picture, then you a real one is required. IMO.

Yes, I'm just saying that 10Kg packs are a handy size for many. Better value than the same type of lignite product in 40KG bags.

Although, Cosyglo Gems have significantly less ash than Rekord briquettes.

Point taken re off-peak electricity and also a closed stove would be preferable. But its not an option here unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement