Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has Covid changed your plans for the summer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

CJhaughey wrote: »
    20km or in your own county whatever is greater.

Sure, but I mean overnight wild camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

"help get the tourism industry back on its feet" so all of us Schengenites are expecting those justifications to be dropped.

The domestic/internal restrictions have been progressively reduced over the last several weeks, so if/when you visit, it'll be pretty much business as usual [with masks and social distancing].[/QUOTE]
    Hi,
    As we in Ireland are not in Schengen do your dates apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

zambo wrote: »
    As we in Ireland are not in Schengen do your dates apply?

Can't say for definite, as there's not much talk about the subject just at the moment. In principle, if Ireland continues to impose quarantine-on-arrival to all incoming passengers, France would not accept non-essential travellers from Ireland (they're applying this to the UK and to Spain). However, Macron is very keen to see a co-ordinated response across the whole EU and might make an exception for Ireland/Irish visitors on the grounds that the rate of infection was never as high as it was in France (or Spain, or the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

This will be our 10th season as motorhomers. 2+3 and a dog. Over the years, we have had fantastic use out of 'the van' and just love it. Especially going to France and beyond. Although we have definitely clocked up more nights and milage on these here shores.

As is the way, the kids are getting older and life is changing and we don't get away as much during the year as we used to. The kids are still happy to come away in the van its just, almost every weekend there is a commitment. But that's okay as we always expected our usage pattern to fluctuate. We still use the van a lot for single day activity. EG on a Saturday we would often need to be at the same sports ground from 9am to at least 2:30pm so having the van for that is absolutely fantastic.

Sorry, rambled there but I was getting to the point that usually we would have our summer holiday booked well in advance but this year, we were finding it very difficult to find that 3 - 3.5 week period that we usually get away for and hence didn't book the ferry. Thus, we were planning a home based holiday anyway.

Well, I went for a bit of a drive today (in the car - camper still has to be made road-legal :( ) - breakfast in France, lunch in Switzerland, dinner in Germany. No sign of any Covid controls anywhere - it's as if it never happened. Over the course of many hours and several towns in Switzerland, I didn't see a single person wearing a mask.

The shop I went to (yes, I drove 175km to go to one shop, in the hope of buying one particular item ...) was restricting access to 160 people at the same time, with an entry voucher system to make it work (which it did). Quite a contrast with France (at least where I'm staying/working at the moment) where I'd say at least 80% of the customers in the supermarket were wearing masks ... but no control on numbers. Can't really comment about Germany, as I only passed through to see if I could - but my sister was at EuropaPark and said it was very quiet. I'll be going up to Frankfurt next weekend.

Campers parked on aires all over the place, though I couldn't get close enough to see how many of them were local to each country.

So, if you can get off the island of Ireland, it's pretty much "business as usual" now on the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

alias no.9 wrote: »
    This waa to be our 4th French trip in the Motorhome but like yourself it'll be an irish trip.

Where my head is at right now, it'll be 2 weeks touring Mizen / Sheeps Head / Beara / Ivergh peninsulas.

Good selection of Aires down that way and motorhomes are generally welcome. It's that bit further than is practical for us to get to even on a long weekend in normal times so we're going to embrace it.

Eyeries & Bantry. Are there others down that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Eyeries & Bantry. Are there others down that way?

Yeah there are a good few on the app.

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Yeah there are a good few on the app.

Thanks, but what app?

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Thanks, but what app?

O sorry, the Motorhome Parking Ireland app. Best fiver you’ll ever spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

O sorry, the Motorhome Parking Ireland app. Best fiver you’ll ever spend.

I use Park4night It’s free in the app store and covers everywhere you’re likely to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

It didn't change our plan exactly but yes, we will have to see which places are open after 4 July and what are the restrictions. Also, will have to purchase a stock of disinfection sprays and wipes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

We usually spend a few days in Casey's Campsite in Clonea, Dungarvan. On the Greenway & the beach & we love it. Just phoned the site today & they're not opening this year. Sad. Was hoping to get there over the next 2 weeks.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    We usually spend a few days in Casey's Campsite in Clonea, Dungarvan. On the Greenway & the beach & we love it. Just phoned the site today & they're not opening this year. Sad. Was hoping to get there over the next 2 weeks.

T.

Phoned them last month. It's not that they are not opening this year, they're just not opening to tourers this year. They are open for their mobile homes owners and their 'regulars'.

Itineoman wrote: »
    If you could give the odd heads up now and again it would be appreciated

For info (if you haven't heard through other channels) since the start of this week, it is obligatory in France for everyone over the age of 11 to wear a mask in all publicly accessible indoor spaces; and outdoors in certain towns (mostly tourist hot-spots).

For additional info, if you're looking for somewhere particularly less affected, the greater South-West area (except Bordeaux) has next-to-no cases (single digits per département). This'd be a good year to visit some of the places that the Irish regularly avoid! :)

For info (if you haven't heard through other channels) since the start of this week, it is obligatory in France for everyone over the age of 11 to wear a mask in all publicly accessible indoor spaces; and outdoors in certain towns (mostly tourist hot-spots).

For additional info, if you're looking for somewhere particularly less affected, the greater South-West area (except Bordeaux) has next-to-no cases (single digits per département). This'd be a good year to visit some of the places that the Irish regularly avoid! :)
    Thanks for this. Yesterday with a heavy heart I went and cancelled the sailing which was planned for next Monday (and got my money back - yay!) as the advice coming from the government here is not to travel at all unless it’s essential. So I believe we’re doing the responsible and right thing. So it is staycationing for now. At the moment we’re parked up in a very quiet Dingle but we had a cracking time last weekend in Glenbeigh in the sunshine. We were remarking earlier that normally around now we’d be in just that corner of France you mention above. We can speak enough French to chat away with the natives so we’re comfortable moving off the beaten track and it is far more rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

We went to france the last couple of years and had been planning a month in Spain through the newly opened Sandanter route this year. We would usually do a few weekends around Ireland during the summer too.

When it came closer to the campsites opening it was becoming clear that it was going to be difficult to get into any campsites without booking well in advance (we like to decide on a Thursday, depending on weather, if we are going to travel that weekend), or some taking minimum 7 night bookings, plus the surge in people buying caravan and campers.

So when I got the opportunity to take a season pitch at our closest campsite (Enniscrone in Sligo) I took it. So our motorhome is parked up there for the rest of the season.

Sitting in our motorhome in Rosslare waiting to board the Kerry ferry to Bilbao. Travelling for 3 weeks, with an additional 2 weeks self isolation on return. Not sure where to yet, original plan was the Costa Brava but might head towards Galicia now. South West of France is also a possibility.

Had written it off for ages but as Europe opened up we realised it might be a possibility.

Sitting in our motorhome in Rosslare waiting to board the Kerry ferry to Bilbao. Travelling for 3 weeks, with an additional 2 weeks self isolation on return. Not sure where to yet, original plan was the Costa Brava but might head towards Galicia now. South West of France is also a possibility.

Had written it off for ages but as Europe opened up we realised it might be a possibility.
    Galicia, Lugo,Asturia are all very nice and very cheap compared to France. We did a few stretches of the Camino there in 2017 with our van as backup. We’ve one fond memory of a night in Leon - €16 each covered food and drink. Tapas comes as a given with a beer. A beer (20 cl) is anywhere from €1 upwards depending where you are. I’ll be back when this is all over. 😀
    Have a blast.

Advertisement