Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Aran Islands

Options
  • 04-08-2020 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I was considering visiting the Aran Islands at the end of September; either Inis Mór or Inis Oírr.

Do Covid restrictions, or Islanders feelings about visitors, make this a bad idea at the moment?

Would I get a frosty reception?

Would bars, restaurants and B&Bs be closed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I was considering visiting the Aran Islands at the end of September; either Inis Mór or Inis Oírr.

Do Covid restrictions, or Islanders feelings about visitors, make this a bad idea at the moment?

Would I get a frosty reception?

Would bars, restaurants and B&Bs be closed?

We visited last week, (Oirr)public toilets were closed.
    Cafes, pubs, restaurant , bike rental and chip/crepe van were open.

We enjoyed our day cycling around,

Only the following day speaking to a local man(not on island) were we made aware that the islanders voted to stay closed, but the ferry companies opens anyway and started dropping tourists.

Can’t say I thought the reception was anyway frosty, I wouldn’t have known any different only for the man told me. It’s busy, boats are full, so make sure you mask up, be there early if you wat to sit outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Cheers Phobia. If you started on the Island do you have any recommendations for a B&B?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Visited Inishmor last week, Hotel, shops and bus tours are all open, all the bike rental places are open. Joe Watty's restaurant is open.
    All the closed places look like they have been closed long before covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Sound Stony. In your opinion does anything, like bikes or the restaurant, need booking or can you just show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

No need to pre-book the bikes, probably worth pre-booking for food though

• Advertisement
Advertisement