Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭malinheader

They're not opening up though. That's the point. They're actually shutting everything down from next Friday. Just when we should be reopening on this side. So you end up with the same problem but in the other direction.

They are opening up hair salons, cafes etc having been told that their hospitals won't be able to cope in 2 weeks time.

We will have to see next Friday if we open up, I'm hoping if our medical officer gives them the same kind of report they won't be stupid enough to even think about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They are opening up hair salons, cafes etc having been told that their hospitals won't be able to cope in 2 weeks time.

We will have to see next Friday if we open up, I'm hoping if our medical officer gives them the same kind of report they won't be stupid enough to even think about it.

Yes, the places that were closed are allowed open for a week and then everything is shutting down on the 27th, including retail, which has been open through the entirety of our second lockdown.

Given the situation here and at Letterkenny hospital I can't see Donegal reopening at the start of December, regardless of what happens elsewhere in the Republic. But Northern Ireland chosing to do the exact opposite of what we're doing, timeline wise, doesn't help our cause at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

13 confirmed cases announced today which is a welcome development and we seem to be going in the right direction again. Its our third lowest figure in the last 2 months.

Its also a welcome development to watch the RTE news and not have Donegal mentioned among the list of counties with the highest numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

41 today

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Would love to know where all these cases are coming from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

slimboyfat wrote: »

same as

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

slimboyfat wrote: »

From Halfway between Buncrana and Bridgend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Big blowout I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Yeah what was the story there and who thought that was a good idea?? I heard 600 people but sure 50 were likely added for every town it passed through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

Yeah what was the story there and who thought that was a good idea?? I heard 600 people but sure 50 were likely added for every town it passed through

I've heard 250 people. Over 3 days. At least 40 cases from it last week

What was that all about? Never heard anything myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭timmyntc

muffler wrote: »
    What was that all about? Never heard anything myself

Birthday party - hundreds invited.
    People were getting make-up & hair done professionally for it too, led to even more infections.

Big blowout alright

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I've heard 250 people. Over 3 days. At least 40 cases from it last week

Figured the number would be lower than I heard, rumour mill always likes to add a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Whoever organised that needs their head looked at. Could leave us at level 5 for weeks more than we needed to be. Those who thought it would be a good idea to go, dont think calling them imbeciles is strong enough. More fool the rest of us trying to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

Would a situation like that result in a Garda investigation and possible charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

madalig12 wrote: »
    Whoever organised that needs their head looked at. Could leave us at level 5 for weeks more than we needed to be. Those who thought it would be a good idea to go, dont think calling them imbeciles is strong enough. More fool the rest of us trying to do the right thing.

But you do realise that there are sections of our community who really do not care one jot about the virus and the spread of it. Their birthday party is more important than anything.

Until the guards start interrupting these events and issuing a huge amount of fines, they will continue .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

NIMAN wrote: »
    But you do realise that there are sections of our community who really do not care one jot about the virus and the spread of it. Their birthday party is more important than anything.

Until the guards start interrupting these events and issuing a huge amount of fines, they will continue .

Clearly

Another 20 cases confirmed in the county today. We're still not getting down to single digits or less and things will only get worse again both before and over the Xmas period.

If anyone is interested Im still updating this post and this post on a daily basis. They are both the same but just laid out in different formats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Firblog

See the mgt of the Abbey, Central, and Nesbitt Arms hotels have decided not to open up again until county gets out of level 3

Firblog wrote: »
    See the mgt of the Abbey, Central, and Nesbitt Arms hotels have decided not to open up again until county gets out of level 3

That will be a while. Back to level 5 or stricter early January after this stupid relaxing over xmas. Just doesn't add up. I think everyone knows the outcome of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Firblog wrote: »

Inishowen Gateway not opening either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

That will be a while. Back to level 5 or stricter early January after this stupid relaxing over xmas. Just doesn't add up. I think everyone knows the outcome of this.

Agree.
    Government made big fuss of getting cases below 100 / day before relaxing of level 5. They haven't hit any target since March. Science gone out the window. Nphet should be ashamed of themselves.
    Locally hearing more and more stories of total disregard for social distancing and close contacts of positive cases ignoring all protocols. Pricks.

Nphet should be ashamed of themselves.
    How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

What is wrong with Donegal and the high numbers We cant put all the blame on the young people my own young ones are home from collage and hardly left the house since they came home and havent even mentioned meeting their friends I am definatly proud of them for that

I dread to think what after christmas and new year will be like after relaxing the restrictions

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Science gone out the window. Nphet should be ashamed of themselves.

Do you even know what NPHET do? Or are you just repeating some nonsense you read in the comments section of a post on Facebook.

NPHET specifically advised against reopening pubs and restaurants before Christmas. They said we could visit other houses over the days of Christmas, or we could have pubs and restaurants reopened. We should not be doing both. The government took their advice, and like they've been doing since the summer, ignored it. So now we have gastro pubs and restaurants reopening, and 2 weeks of visiting whoever we want, as often as we want, over Christmas and New Year.

Do you even know what NPHET do? Or are you just repeating some nonsense you read in the comments section of a post on Facebook.

NPHET specifically advised against reopening pubs and restaurants before Christmas. They said we could visit other houses over the days of Christmas, or we could have pubs and restaurants reopened. We should not be doing both. The government took their advice, and like they've been doing since the summer, ignored it. So now we have gastro pubs and restaurants reopening, and 2 weeks of visiting whoever we want, as often as we want, over Christmas and New Year.

This is 100% correct. This whole shambles which is going to cost lives will fall at the feet of our government. A few months back they were advised by nephed to go to level 5 and they didn't which could of helped us get a better grip on reducing numbers..

They have also been told that they will see an increase in numbers in two weeks so why open up today, will they close down on the 14th or so of December, not a hope.
    Anyone I have spoken to would of been happy to stay the way we were and maybe relax for a couple of days over xmas slightly.
    Big question here is who really wants this easing to take place. I'm not a anxious or down beat person by any means and I certainly wouldn't be one for scaremongering but one thing I am really dreading is the months after Christmas.

Anyone I have spoken to would of been happy to stay the way we were and maybe relax for a couple of days over xmas slightly.
    Big question here is who really wants this easing to take place. I'm not a anxious or down beat person by any means and I certainly wouldn't be one for scaremongering but one thing I am really dreading is the months after Christmas.

everyone i know is fed up. one shop a week cant buy jocks or socks even in lidl. ive no problem with non essential retail hairdressers opening up. restaurants -wont be going near those , wont be visiting other houses either (maybe the inlaws for christmas day).

still not much of a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

As somebody else asked above and I'd really like to know the answer too is, why is Donegal so bad with cases? What is different here compared to the rest of the island (It can't be all NI fault)? Really Donegal is sparsely populated.

Advertisement