Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit flights Schengen Zone immigration

Options
  • 26-03-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Would I have to clear immigration and where would I have to clear it in the following scenarios.

Scenario 1:
    I want to fly from Dublin to Ljubljana via Frankfurt. Do I clear immigration in FRA and then walk off the plane in Ljubljana or do I stay airside in FRA and then have to clear immigration in Ljubljana?

Scenario 2:
    I want to fly to St. Petersburg via HEL. Do I have to clear Schengen immigration in HEL then go back airside again?

If the answer to this is no, then how come I had to clear US immigration when I flew from CDG to Mexico City via JFK a few years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Would I have to clear immigration and where would I have to clear it in the following scenarios.

Scenario 1:
    I want to fly from Dublin to Ljubljana via Frankfurt. Do I clear immigration in FRA and then walk off the plane in Ljubljana or do I stay airside in FRA and then have to clear immigration in Ljubljana?

Scenario 2:
    I want to fly to St. Petersburg via HEL. Do I have to clear Schengen immigration in HEL then go back airside again?

If the answer to this is no, then how come I had to clear US immigration when I flew from CDG to Mexico City via JFK a few years ago?

1: You clear at FRA
    2: Normally No. Most likely both flights operate to non-Schengen terminal at HEL so no passport check may be required. But as travelling to Russia needs a visa so there will probably be a check in HEL for departure.

The USA do not do transit. Even a transit passenger must clear immigration and have a visa or visa waiver.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Travel query

Advertisement