Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain free dog food

• 21-03-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

I had been feeding my dogs Sinners grain free with sweet potato but it’s now showing up as being £80 instead of £35 on Amazon - supplies may be running short.

Can anyone recommend an affordable grain free dog food as a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lemlin wrote: »
    I had been feeding my dogs Sinners grain free with sweet potato but it’s now showing up as being £80 instead of £35 on Amazon - supplies may be running short.

Can anyone recommend an affordable grain free dog food as a replacement?

Is it maybe a different seller? If so and you’re not in a hurry just wait for Amazon to get in back in shock - this happens to me with the wet food I get Bailey.. when it goes out of stock from amazon themselves it’s defaults to some other crowd that’s double the price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

tk123 wrote: »
    Is it maybe a different seller? If so and you’re not in a hurry just wait for Amazon to get in back in shock - this happens to me with the wet food I get Bailey.. when it goes out of stock from amazon themselves it’s defaults to some other crowd that’s double the price!

Stock seems to be thin on the ground on any website I go to though so I am thinking about an alternative. Taste of the Wild is €109 for two 13kg bags on Zooplus.de.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I can recommend Lily's kitchen a lot of their stuff is grand free.
    It's not cheap but good value for money imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I have been using Nourish Rite grain free and getting it from a site called fetchyourpetneeds.ie - I think it ships from UK but it usually arrives within 2-3 days by DPD. They have other brands too and the prices are ok.

They have a notice on their website that it's business as usual for them and DPD.
    You can get it from shops locally but it saves having to face other shoppers if you are worried about leaving the house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Don't know how big the bag you get is, but we use Barking Head grain free food. 12kg bag is €72 +- plus free delivery from https://www.petfooddepot.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Check equipet.ie - they've made ALL deliveries free in light of Covid19 so deserve support in my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is taste of the wild good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

We’ve been feeding Red Mills Go Native for year or so (sometimes Herring with kale, mostly Duck with apple cranberry). A Golden Retriever who has Acana grain free and wilderness salmon. Apart from a period on raw food and wet dog food, the Red Mills stuff has been the best in terms of her eating (finishing not nibbling and coming back later) plus quality of feces and weight maintenance. (We trimmed her back from 32 down to 27kgs to aid with early arthritis).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

We feed ours a mix of Acana Heritage Light and Fit and Naturo Grain Free. She loves both and is doing brilliantly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

I used to feed Eden but found it harder and more expensive to get here.
    Moved onto essential dog food. Happy so far.
    Priced well and ranks as good as Eden on allaboutdogfood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

I read online there was a problem with Acana n Orijen in the US. They were on a list of brands potentially causing heart problems in dogs. Is this something to be worried about? I'm also looking for a grain free dog food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I read online there was a problem with Acana n Orijen in the US. They were on a list of brands potentially causing heart problems in dogs. Is this something to be worried about? I'm also looking for a grain free dog food.

Try adding taurine rich foods to their diet to reduce the risk of heart issues: sardines / tuna / dark red meat / liver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Would Canagan be considered a good choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Saw an article recently that further studies are being done as original was based on dogs with heart problems were being fed grain free slightly more often than not, but also that these dogs were only a small sample. I'd await further studies, also it was food using certain fillers like lentils and stuff(and larger quantities of fillers) rather than veg which is more common in Europe.
    Obviously if you only use numbers based on sick dogs it's not going to be an accurate study when you look at total numbers of dogs fed those foods.

Anyway, I feed Rocco (wet) and lukkulus (dry), both grain free, both available on zooplus. They've a great range of grain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Would Canagan be considered a good choice?

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0666/canagan

Yes

Advertisement