Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair flight to Spain NOT cancelled but country is on lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

So YOU will refund anyone that is out of pocket ?? . You in love with MOL ???.

Eh easypazz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

josip wrote: »
    That 'bug' has existed for 4 years.
    Methinks Ryanair have no intention of fixing it since it probably filters out a not insignificant percentage of people entitled to a refund.

But there are people managing to get as far as being told their application is being sent for a refund. It seems 3am is a good time to try, which would seem to indicate it is problem when the server is under pressure.

I don't subscribe to the theory that Ryanair are deliberately trying to diddle people. From what I can see, many who are trying for refunds have been offered flight changes, but continue trying to get a refund.

The flight changes I did for the flight I was due to take on March 30th went fairly painlessly. Rebooked for October.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

"There appears to be some problem with the Ryanair refund mechanism. It tells everyone, (even when the flight has been cancelled and the customer has been invited to apply for a refund) that their reservation number is wrong. They clearly need to get their IT folk to fix it, but seems everything is under crazy pressure."

I was due to fly on Sunday to Malaga , flight is now cancelled. Requested refund and getting the above error. Try online CHAT but that too is not getting me anywhere.

How do I know they will actually refund me, can I email them? Thanks for the help, if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭elperello

joeysoap wrote: »
    Please don’t include AL in this.

I completed what will be my last round trip for a long time last week with Ryanair and have no special animus towards them.

I know for a fact that AL are also playing the re-book game on flights that they they know are useless to those who purchased them.

It's a time for big business's to show a bit of respect for the people who make their profits ie. the customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

spurious wrote: »
    But there are people managing to get as far as being told their application is being sent for a refund. It seems 3am is a good time to try, which would seem to indicate it is problem when the server is under pressure.

I don't subscribe to the theory that Ryanair are deliberately trying to diddle people. From what I can see, many who are trying for refunds have been offered flight changes, but continue trying to get a refund.

The flight changes I did for the flight I was due to take on March 30th went fairly painlessly. Rebooked for October.

I hope you took your money and booked October yourself. Twice the price to rebook. Of course it mightn’t matter you don’t get back the difference, only charged if its dearer. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

elperello wrote: »
    I completed what will be my last round trip for a long time last week with Ryanair and have no special animus towards them.

I know for a fact that AL are also playing the re-book game on flights that they they know are useless to those who purchased them.

It's a time for big business's to show a bit of respect for the people who make their profits ie. the customers.

To be fair, most of the airlines already pay an extortionate amount of EU261 compensation, typically €250 back for as little as a €15 ticket.

I'm awaiting cancellation of RYR flight to BIA early next month, it'll happen & with RYR & AL you've a safe bet to get your refund as they won't collapse. Your rights are protected.

However, if you think about it, they'll need to process each refunded ticket individually & clear it. If they block refund every passenger, the certain amount who wouldn't usually claim (out of laziness usually) would get money back they didn't ask for.

No transport company interested in staying afloat during COVID-19 would purposely hire staff to setup a system like this. It's usually a team of less than 10 in an airline processing these refunds, you can imagine the strain they're under based on self-isolation.

You'll get your money back, it'll take time though, part of pulling together as a nation is dealing with the delay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

joeysoap wrote: »
    I hope you took your money and booked October yourself. Twice the price to rebook. Of course it mightn’t matter you don’t get back the difference, only charged if its dearer. .

It wasn't twice the price to rebook. I wasn't foolish enough to expect a 21.99 leg to the Costa del Sol in October, so I had to pay the difference. the total price was the same as if I had booked a new flight, but I only paid the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Anyone know if your return flight is cancelled can you get a refund for outgoing flight too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Ryanair did not notify me of my flight cancellation, I discovered when I logged in.
    I cannot apply for flight refund , I get the same message that the reservation number is invalid (It isn't).
    Online chat is not working.

The way I see it, Ryanair are defo playing a game here to hold onto my money.

Who can we go to with this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Ryanair did not notify me of my flight cancellation, I discovered when I logged in.
    I cannot apply for flight refund , I get the same message that the reservation number is invalid (It isn't).
    Online chat is not working.

The way I see it, Ryanair are defo playing a game here to hold onto my money.

Who can we go to with this?

Will you calm down for gods sake. The airlines are under extreme pressure, give them a chance to finish flight operations, make loads of staff redundant, sort out lots of massive issues and then they will start looking at this sort of stuff.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    To be fair, most of the airlines already pay an extortionate amount of EU261 compensation, typically €250 back for as little as a €15 ticket.

I'm awaiting cancellation of RYR flight to BIA early next month, it'll happen & with RYR & AL you've a safe bet to get your refund as they won't collapse. Your rights are protected.

However, if you think about it, they'll need to process each refunded ticket individually & clear it. If they block refund every passenger, the certain amount who wouldn't usually claim (out of laziness usually) would get money back they didn't ask for.

No transport company interested in staying afloat during COVID-19 would purposely hire staff to setup a system like this. It's usually a team of less than 10 in an airline processing these refunds, you can imagine the strain they're under based on self-isolation.

You'll get your money back, it'll take time though, part of pulling together as a nation is dealing with the delay.
    easypazz wrote: »
    Will you calm down for gods sake. The airlines are under extreme pressure, give them a chance to finish flight operations, make loads of staff redundant, sort out lots of massive issues and then they will start looking at this sort of stuff.

There is no doubt that these are difficult times for airlines. They are difficult times for every sector of the community.

Nobody expects them to wave a magic wand and deal with all refunds overnight.

What is needed is a clear communication that they will not expect people to take flights to countries on lock down or require them to re-book.

What is needed is a clear communication that they will not expect people to take flights to countries on lock down or require them to re-book.

The airline doesn't expect anybody to fly anywhere, its the consumers choice.

The airlines did not cause this problem.

The airlines are already being obliterated - give them a break.

Yeah, No email, No chat and no function of website.
    No Communication pisses people off. I had no issues with Aerlingus
    4 Adults in my house and 3 have been laid off this week.
    calm down :rolleyes:

Yeah, No email, No chat and no function of website.
    No Communication pisses people off. I had no issues with Aerlingus
    4 Adults in my house and 3 have been laid off this week.
    calm down :rolleyes:

Why do you think the phone, email and chat are struggling?

Why do you think the phone, email and chat are struggling?

When they don't email you yet the flight is cancelled it raises suspicion.
    When they offer you a change but not a refund it raises suspicion.
    No problem with AerLingus

Unfortunately the consumers choice is Hobson's Choice.

Either travel to a country where everything is closed or book a trip for some date in the future when you don't know if you can get time off or even afford to go.

I acknowledged that the airlines are in trouble.

No problems booking flights in future though . Why make staff redundant when all these issues need sorting eh Michael ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Nobody expects them to wave a magic wand and deal with all refunds overnight.

Actually, some people do. That's the problem. A couple of days after the whole travel landscape changed people are crying that their refund isn't the top priority for the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

• Advertisement

Actually, some people do. That's the problem. A couple of days after the whole travel landscape changed people are crying that their refund isn't the top priority for the airline.

When you book a flight, and hit the button, the money is deducted from your account instantly . The reverse should be possible as well . Insulting people by telling them that their booking number is "Invalid" is a bit rich , nott so ??

Al and RY are both struggling to come to terms with this , but AL while hoping you rebook are offering refunds, Ryanair are simply hoping you rebook. ( I tried last week and changing Tenerife to Malaga was cost €€134) they quoted €151 for flights that they were selling for €74. Plus I was losing priority and seats . Seats I understand, priority I don’t

Anyway I didn’t rebook, so now waiting on the cancellations email which I have already received from AL and I think I’ll skip October as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ryanair are being totally dishonest here.

They claim free changes... but the flights are more than double the normal price when you use the flight change function. (a flight that is €30 using the normal search is €60 using the flight change). It is cheaper to just book a new ticket. In other words, a total scam.

I also wonder why we should give Ryanair and other dishonest airlines a break? They have been generating 100s of millions in profits for years, and using most of the cash to buy-back shares and in executive compensation instead of increasing cash reserves for a rainy day.

mountai wrote: »
    When you book a flight, and hit the button, the money is deducted from your account instantly . The reverse should be possible as well . Insulting people by telling them that their booking number is "Invalid" is a bit rich , nott so ??

Not in the current situation. People are being deployed to the highest priority matters that no doubt crop up daily.

I am due a refund myself, but I fully appreciate that people are under pressure and will get around to my refund in due course.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Ryanair are being totally dishonest here.

They claim free changes... but the flights are more than double the normal price when you use the flight change function. (a flight that is €30 using the normal search is €60 using the flight change). It is cheaper to just book a new ticket. In other words, a total scam.

I also wonder why we should give Ryanair and other dishonest airlines a break? They have been generating 100s of millions in profits for years, and using most of the cash to busy-back shares and in executive compensation instead of increasing cash reserves for a rainy day.

Don't give them a break. Fly with somebody else in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Give Ryanair a break? :pac:

Eh i don't think so.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Give Ryanair a break? :pac:

Eh i don't think so.

Dead right. Fly with somebody else in future.

FionnK86 wrote: »

I'm awaiting cancellation of RYR flight to BIA early next month, it'll happen & with RYR & AL you've a safe bet to get your refund as they won't collapse. Your rights are protected...............

Fair points.

Worth pointing out though ryanair sold over 100 million flights a year and charge a €2.50 EU261 fee for each one. Hardly losing on it.

https://aviator.aero/press_releases/10278

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

The word for this is profiteering.

Like shops putting up prices, or clamping nurses cars if they work late. It might even be a crime.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0318/1123991-clamping-dublin-city-council/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

spurious wrote: »

I finally got the email that the flight was cancelled last night. Tried to get the refund and got the same, Invalid flight number.... just tried again now, at 4.55am and it went through no bother. Obviously the server can only deal with a tiny amount of traffic. Says the refund will take up to 7 days. Now we wait.

Advertisement