Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppy eating his own poo

• 22-03-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

We got our first puppy a golden retriever a few days ago. He's really settling in but has taken to eating his own poo. It's not every time but every ao often one looks irresistible to him.

I'm just wondering firstly if this is normal and secondly if there is anything that can be done to stop it. Or is it just something that he will grow out if?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Totally normal behaviour learned from his mother, keep it cleaned up and he'll get out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

It can be that the food you are giving is too rich and tasty and it still smells appetizing, even though it's poo!
    What are you feeding him? Is it "too fancy"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭diddlybo

heldel00 wrote: »
    It can be that the food you are giving is too rich and tasty and it still smells appetizing, even though it's poo!
    What are you feeding him? Is it "too fancy"?

We're feeding him royal canin puppy food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

diddlybo wrote: »
    We're feeding him royal canin puppy food.

I've found a pattern in dogs/puppies inclined to eat their own poo if the food they are eating has added attractants (aroma additives to encourage a dog to eat the food, as dogs taste their food more with their nose than their mouth), this is including treats the likes of Pedigree dentasticks, the poorer the quality of the food, the more likely there's added attractants. Something worth noting.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Our dogs did this. We gave them some pineapple pieces. This seems to stop them eating their poo. Anytime they started again we just gave them some more. Haven't seen them do it for a while now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

As above, pineapple can help make the poo unpalatable. Cooked spinach can also help but it can be hard to get them to eat that. Your vet can also give you a powder to sprinkle into their food if it's really bothering you.

It might be a good idea to change the food. There’s such a variety out there to chose from. Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The better quality the food the less poo you'll have. RC is imo not a great food if you want less poo. When Lucy was a pup I fed a mix of raw and Rocco Junior wet food from zooplus to bulk out the raw as she ate like a horse(!) = minimal nuggets!

tk123 wrote: »
    The better quality the food the less poo you'll have.

Sorry, this is wrong. Higher fibre diets will result in more poo, this does not automatically mean the food is poorer quality.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Sorry, this is wrong. Higher fibre diets will result in more poo, this does not automatically mean the food is poorer quality.

I guess it depends on what you class as good quality - I'd consider high fibre high in fillers and lower quality. If I need to add fibre I'll add it myself.

Royal Canine maxi junior (which I assume is what the OP is feeding) is not a great food - I fed it myself 10 years ago when I got Bailey and thought it was great at the time but learnt my lesson and moved away from it.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what you class as good quality - I'd consider high fibre high in fillers and lower quality. If I need to add fibre I'll add it myself.

Dogs need fibre so I'd class any food which has very little fibre to be poor quality as well.

We feed our dog Royal Canin Dental and she is doing perfectly well on it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hey op, we got our puppy last week and he's 9 weeks old.

He started eating his own poo the first 2 days, now he has stopped eating it completely! For whatever reason I'm not sure! :)

Now if he goes near it while outside i just steer him the other way, but even if he has an accident inside, he leaves it there (yay..lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭diddlybo

Has anyone got advice for alternative food? Royal canin doesn't seem to suit our puppy at all. He's having very loose wet stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Try giving him boiled chicken & rice. Had similar problems with 1 of ours up until recently and that did the trick.

diddlybo wrote: »
    Has anyone got advice for alternative food? Royal canin doesn't seem to suit our puppy at all. He's having very loose wet stools.

I'll be feeding my retriever pup a mix of raw and Rocco Junior from zooplus like I did with Lucy - https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/canned_dog_food/rocco
    There's a lot off Rocco fans here as it's great quality. The pup will be eating you out of house and home soon enough lol so works out at great value too.

Advertisement