Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore road road closures

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Apparently they're removing it now.

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

What is baffling is that someone, somewhere - whom we are relying on for proper management of public facilities - thought that this would be a good idea worth "trying out". As a motorist and cyclist, I cannot see any agruments that could be made to validate this approach. Cycling thru there in recent days meant sharing 60% of the old road space with 200% of the normal volume for your lane...........

Causing back-ups on every approach road even at "quiet" times was utterly predictable.

I fully accept that the NRA or CoCo cannot take a poll of everyone before they do anything, but playing (because that's all it was) with road users stress levels when 99.9% of people could see the likely outcome, smacks of an arrogance that I would have thought belongs to a time long ago. Seemingly not.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    What is baffling is that someone, somewhere - whom we are relying on for proper management of public facilities - thought that this would be a good idea worth "trying out". As a motorist and cyclist, I cannot see any agruments that could be made to validate this approach. Cycling thru there in recent days meant sharing 60% of the old road space with 200% of the normal volume for your lane...........

Causing back-ups on every approach road even at "quiet" times was utterly predictable.

I fully accept that the NRA or CoCo cannot take a poll of everyone before they do anything, but playing (because that's all it was) with road users stress levels when 99.9% of people could see the likely outcome, smacks of an arrogance that I would have thought belongs to a time long ago. Seemingly not.

Even if the NRA, not knowing the geography of the area, the local businesses and so on, thought it was a good idea to reduce two lanes to one in three directions, one has to ask why the local authority didn't point out to them that that particular area was totally unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

katydid wrote:
    Even if the NRA, not knowing the geography of the area, the local businesses and so on, thought it was a good idea to reduce two lanes to one in three directions, one has to ask why the local authority didn't point out to them that that particular area was totally unsuitable.

totally. AND they had to change the lane format there a few years ago to relieve traffic going ahead as opposed to into Tesco. so there was already a recorded issue there. Or did they forget that. It's the ability for ambulances to pass these that concerned me the most. Do they even bother consulting with the hospital when making these changes. This country is so backwards one has to sit back and wonder sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

katydid wrote: »

One thing you can be sure of...NOBODY will be responsible or accountable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    It's a pity it had to come to the council being bombarded with complaints to make them see what a four year old would have told them, had they asked. You have to wonder what kind of morons work in the roads department.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Massive, massive morons.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I drove along there today, at lunchtime. Not particularly busy, but the traffic was not good. It'll be chaotic again tomorrow morning. They've taken away the barriers blocking the inner lane of the roundabout, which is a big help, but the lanes approaching the roundabout are still narrowed down to one. It was particularly bad coming from Williamstown to Tesco, where the early filter off lane helped traffic flow very well; the left lane for the turn off to Tesco, the right lane straight on for the hospital. Now you can only get into the left lane a few yards before the roundabout.

If the idea is to put in a cycle path, there's plenty space on the grass verge on either side of the footpath.

It looks as if they gave in to pressure after Friday's fiasco. Let's not let up now, until they see sense.

Advertisement