Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore road road closures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

ISIS have taken control of the Dunmore Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What this must also indicate is the old infrastructure in place in Waterford which needed upgrading.

Comparable areas in the likes of Dublin required no opening up of roads whatsoever.

Remember the lead pipes issues that have reared their head more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think Irish Water has managed to pee off the residents of an area that might have actually supported them.

We have lead pipes and as far as I know it is more the case around the top of the town rather than from Newtown out. My father worked on the treatment plant at the Rugby field and says the main(massive) pipes were mapped and checked back then so should be in a good state. Maybe its the smaller pipes that need an over haul.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think Irish Water has managed to pee off the residents of an area that might have actually supported them.

We have lead pipes and as far as I know it is more the case around the top of the town rather than from Newtown out. My father worked on the treatment plant at the Rugby field and says the main(massive) pipes were mapped and checked back then so should be in a good state. Maybe its the smaller pipes that need an over haul.

Slightly unfair that Irish Water will be criticised for putting the issue and Waterford City Council's problems right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

hardybuck wrote: »
    Slightly unfair that Irish Water will be criticised for putting the issue and Waterford City Council's problems right.

I wonder would you be saying that if you lived here and next Mondays looming and your trying to get your children to school to be honest after the holidays

Shin

• Advertisement

shinzon wrote: »
    I wonder would you be saying that if you lived here and next Mondays looming and your trying to get your children to school to be honest after the holidays

Shin

I got stuck in it this week. I'll get stuck in it many times more. However at least it would appear that your children might be injesting less lead which surely is a positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Everybody accepts that that there are going to be occasional roadworks that will cause delays but what genius scheduled work on the Dunmore Road and the Grange Road simultaneously as was the case last week. Wouldn't putting all your resources onto one road speed up those works and also leave the alternative route free until later? Or is that just too obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Everybody accepts that that there are going to be occasional roadworks that will cause delays but what genius scheduled work on the Dunmore Road and the Grange Road simultaneously as was the case last week. Wouldn't putting all your resources onto one road speed up those works and also leave the alternative route free until later? Or is that just too obvious.

Grange road was free of works this am when I went through so to give benefit of doubt maybe they were thinking...............as in with traffic lighter last week due to schools being off get grange road sorted out to allow for the increase in traffic from Dunmore Rd this week...........I did hear from a few work colleagues who used the Dunmore Rd this am that the works added 10mins to their normal commute, one of whom rang me to ask me to 'clock him in' as he would be late.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

The traffic this morning was the worst I have ever seen!

It stretched from the Outer Ring road near the Halting site right up to the Ardkeen hospital and the whole way in the Dunmore Road!

Now they want to make the Road from the Outer Ring Road Roundabout at Farronshoneen to the Tesco Roundabout 1 lane as well as a trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

reni10 wrote: »

It stretched from the Outer Ring road near the Halting site right up to the Ardkeen hospital and the whole way in the Dunmore Road!

Now they want to make the Road from the Outer Ring Road Roundabout at Farronshoneen to the Tesco Roundabout 1 lane as well as a trial!

Which roundabout is the Farroshoneen one?

• Advertisement

The traffic on the way home today was a real nightmare too.

Backed up again from the Faronnshoneen roundabout which is the one from the williamstown road to Ardkeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The traffic on the way home today was a real nightmare too.

Backed up again from the Faronnshoneen roundabout which is the one from the williamstown road to Ardkeen.

Is that road a single lane anyway or am I missing something

It seems they want to just have one lane on the roundabout so instead of a left lane which will bring you into Tesco and a right lane when you are going straight there will just be one lane in total.

This to me will mean that people turning into tesco will have to wait considerably longer then they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

If this is true this is crazy! Why would they change it! It makes no sense they should be making extra lanes not less,wasting more money as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It seems they want to just have one lane on the roundabout so instead of a left lane which will bring you into Tesco and a right lane when you are going straight there will just be one lane in total.

This to me will mean that people turning into tesco will have to wait considerably longer then they do now.

And the people who live in Ardkeen Village. That would be a stupid stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Is there work goin on there at the moment that indicates they are altering the lanes at the 'Tesco Rbt'? Have to say I haven't noticed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Is there work goin on there at the moment that indicates they are altering the lanes at the 'Tesco Rbt'? Have to say I haven't noticed it?

Theres no works on the road the NRA just want to reduce it to one lane for a trial period, although god knows why

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

shinzon wrote: »
    Theres no works on the road the NRA just want to reduce it to one lane for a trial period, although god knows why

Shin

Maybe some are confused as to which lane they are supposed to get in to. Maybe a few accidents have occurred with people thinking they can go straight on when in the left lane.

Although it's so easily sign-posted and marked out - but you never know with some drivers around the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

iseegirls wrote: »
    Maybe some are confused as to which lane they are supposed to get in to. Maybe a few accidents have occurred with people thinking they can go straight on when in the left lane.

Although it's so easily sign-posted and marked out - but you never know with some drivers around the City.

I have seen cars almost tip a few times there. My own theory is that it's people going to the hospital who may not be local and don't know the lanes are changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Brendão wrote: »
    I have seen cars almost tip a few times there. My own theory is that it's people going to the hospital who may not be local and don't know the lanes are changed.

yeah, that is about only reason you could imagine, the WLR roundabout can be dodgy as well with people not knowing correct/changed lane for straight. A middle box for UHW one would be ideal, that requires more than paint to fix though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

From newtown to topaz its a bumpy ride, irish water have left the road in a right state for the sake of a few dozen water metres

To me it looks like a major repair on the main pipes rather than just meters. I past there late at night last week, thankfully there were no restrictions after 12 am.

Hope it's not effecting business or there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hoffmans wrote: »
    From newtown to topaz its a bumpy ride, irish water have left the road in a right state for the sake of a few dozen water metres
    They are replacing the water main not meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Hoffmans wrote: »

As others have said, it's not water meters that they're doing, but you are right - the road is in a desperate state. Anyone know whether this is just being left this way until the work is complete and tested? They might have to dig it up again in places so it makes sense to leave resurfacing until the very end.

I dont know but in one of the free newspapers last week it said there were no plans to resurface John's hill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Maybe the government could divert some of Irish Water revenue to Motor Tax to help repair the road........oh wait.....

^^^^ Very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Shane07 wrote: »
    If this is true this is crazy! Why would they change it! It makes no sense they should be making extra lanes not less,wasting more money as usual!

A la The Quay..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    They are replacing the water main not meters.

They are making provision for meters in some areas while this is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

7upfree wrote: »
    They are making provision for meters in some areas while this is going on.

good stuff

Advertisement