Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost uk reg tractor tax book.please help

Options
  • 07-05-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi,i bought a john deere 6 months ago that was imported from the uk,the guy told me he would send me on the tax book,and as he lives locally i agreed.i have been trying to get this for the last few months of him but hes avoiding me.i dont think he has it at all.
    how do i go about getting a tax book so i can pay the vrt and get it on irish plates.i dont want to ask the garda as im afraid they may take it as the vrt isnt paid yet.can i pay vrt without the log book and then get a replacement log book as it would be on irish plates.
    really need help as i need to take it on the road soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

you should be able to ask the DVLA for a certificate of permanent export, this happened me too when I bought a UK regd car before, seller had lost V5 it turned out.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022582

HERES THE FORM TO APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE OF PERMANENT EXPORT
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065267.pdf

this can then be used to VRT the vehicle once received.

Its very easy to register a tractor in comparison with a car. We imported a tractor from Holland a few years ago. They do not register tractors in holland so we had no documentation or log book. My father had no problem registering it with little more than the chassis number which is shown on the tractor itself.

You should be able to register it without the log book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Its very easy to register a tractor in comparison with a car. We imported a tractor from Holland a few years ago. They do not register tractors in holland so we had no documentation or log book. My father had no problem registering it with little more than the chassis number which is shown on the tractor itself.

You should be able to register it without the log book.

Hi. I am in the same situation , the tractor i am buying is not coming with a log book, as the tractor origionally came from an auction in the uk years back, and has gone through a few owners since then.
    I am curious to know, if i look for the log book / register it , using the chassis number..will the log book go in my name? Would this not make it a little too easy for people who have stolen tractors??
    Would apperciate some advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orlaphenny

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi. I am in the same situation , the tractor i am buying is not coming with a log book, as the tractor origionally came from an auction in the uk years back, and has gone through a few owners since then.
    I am curious to know, if i look for the log book / register it , using the chassis number..will the log book go in my name? Would this not make it a little too easy for people who have stolen tractors??
    Would apperciate some advice.
    Did you get sorted with your log book. How did ya do it after? Have a tractor bought from someone who bought it from a reposession company years ago and there is no log book either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

orlaphenny wrote: »
    Did you get sorted with your log book. How did ya do it after? Have a tractor bought from someone who bought it from a reposession company years ago and there is no log book either

have not got the log book yet, as where i am using it , doesnt really need one! however, apparently, its not hard to get. if the tractor is stolen, the gaurds will have the chassi number on file, so then if the tractor is stolen , your caught . otherwise its easy to get the log book, as suggested in this thread above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

DVA will contact the previous owner of the tractor to check and they have 2 weeks to reply so if they reply quicker then you get the export cert sooner.
    not much too it really i faxed off my last application to speed things upa nd then rang them to check they received it ok and all was fine.

you can do a hpi check online on the UK tractor to check all is ok and cost less than a fiver

Advertisement